M|D|L

Struggles with DNG RAW on iPad Air 2

I’ve been requested via iTunes to submit my “complaint” to this forum.

Affinity Photos struggles to cope with my 24MP DNG RAW images when imported on iPad Air 2. AP may execute one or two commands, but then freezes and hangs. Is this a known problem? Any advice,please, as it is disappointing not npbeing able to use Affinity as a go-to travel app on my iPad.

Hi M|D|L,

Welcome to the forums :)

Could you please confirm what camera your RAWs originate from? What filters/effects are you applying to the image before the crash? We can certainly look into this for you.

Thanks for the response Dan. The RAW files are from a Leica Q. The crashing seems to start when using "Blemish Removal" in the Develop Persona. Not sure what else causes problems, as I haven't moved beyond "Blemish Removal" with any of my Leica files. 

Looking forward to you advice.

Thanks for confirming that, unfortunately your camera is not on the Apple supported RAW list that Affinity uses to develop images, which is why the app is failing to develop or edit the image. My apologies for any inconveniences but your files are not compatible with the Affinity apps, they will need to be developed elsewhere and then opened as a raster image for further editing, I hope this helps :) 

Thanks for the clarifcation Dan, but this is infuriating! I’ve done a lot of research before investing in BOTH Affinity Photo IOS and Mac OS apps, expecting to build an efficient ecosystem for my editing. I’ve  also been planning to switch to  Designer and Publisher for my other work, which I will have to abandon. It’s been a waste of my time and money, unless Affinity have plans to correct this shortcoming soon. 

I'm sorry to hear that, I certainly understand your frustration.

4 hours ago, M|D|L said:

unless Affinity have plans to correct this shortcoming soon

As we use the Apple Core RAW engine on iPads, it's down to Apple to update their RAW support to cover your camera and not ourselves unfortunately. I'd recommend getting in touch with Apple and letting them know how important this is for your workflow :)