You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo for iPad (1.6.10 - Beta)

• Staff

Purpose: Device support, fixes.
Requirements: TestFlight Acceptance.
App Store: Not submitted

Hi,

We have released a Test Flight beta of Photo for iPad version 1.6.10 - including support for the new range of iPad Pro devices. Not much else has changed in this build vs. 1.6.9 - but 1.7.0 will be along in a little while, with numerous new features, fixes and improvements.

Thanks,

Affinity Photo Team  :ph34r:

Changes this version.

- Support for new iPad Pro.
- Support for new Apple Pencil.
- Small bug fixes.

Hi Andy, 

Looking good so far on my 11", thanks for the fix, upgraded on launch day...Is there a way to have the home indicator, the thin grey line at the bottom of the screen auto fade away like it does in photos when watching a video?

About me: Trainer at Apple, Freelance Video Editor, Motion Graphics Artist, Website Designer, Photographer. Yes I like creating things!!!

Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/mystrawberrymonkey/

Twitter: @StrawberryMnky  @imAllanThompson

Web: mystrawberrymonkey.com  Portfolio: behance.net/allanthompson

YouTube: Affinity Designer & Photo Tutorials

Hi, Maybe the nexte update will fix my problem, as you work on the beta maybe you know if:

i bought an ipad pro 3rd gen and installed affinity photo.

i love the app but i want to use big files and when i try to work with a 8300x8300 file with 30 layer there's a big latency after zooming canvas rotation etc... I know it's a big file but will this be solved by the next update or is it just the limit of the hardware?

If not i'll send back the ipadpro and go back to my Cintiq.

• Staff
On 11/14/2018 at 6:53 AM, Florent T said:

Hi, Maybe the nexte update will fix my problem, as you work on the beta maybe you know if:

i bought an ipad pro 3rd gen and installed affinity photo.

i love the app but i want to use big files and when i try to work with a 8300x8300 file with 30 layer there's a big latency after zooming canvas rotation etc... I know it's a big file but will this be solved by the next update or is it just the limit of the hardware?

If not i'll send back the ipadpro and go back to my Cintiq.

Hey Florent T, welcome to the Affinity Forums.

I'd like to take a peek at the kind of file you're working with so would you be able to upload one to this private Dropbox link? 

On 11/13/2018 at 9:30 PM, mystrawberrymonkey said:

Hi Andy, 

Looking good so far on my 11", thanks for the fix, upgraded on launch day...Is there a way to have the home indicator, the thin grey line at the bottom of the screen auto fade away like it does in photos when watching a video?

This can be hidden for full screen apps - it is up to the developer so it appears this should be possible for Affinity Photo.

Thanks Chris B, but i tried to upload many times and each time it didn't work.

When i talk about big latency it's about 3 sec maybe i'm asking to much from an ipad.

surprisingly the latency is  sometime longer with a 350mo file than with a 650mo.

Is the patch only for the UI real estate and double tape, or also to use better the new processor?

Do you think that the 1 tera version with 6g of ram instead of 4 would have less lag for zooming and canvas rotation?

thanks.

• Staff

Hey Florent T,

The patch was indeed primarily to fix the UI for the new iPad Pro and Apple Pencil 2 support with a few niggly bugs fixed. 

I don't feel like it is my place to answer your question regarding the 1TB with 6GB RAM iPad and if it would be worth the extra cost. The best way to help you would be to get this file. If there's any way you can upload it somewhere and PM me a link we can poke it and submit it to the developers if we need to.

On 11/16/2018 at 9:07 AM, Florent T said:

Thanks Chris B, but i tried to upload many times and each time it didn't work.

When i talk about big latency it's about 3 sec maybe i'm asking to much from an ipad.

surprisingly the latency is  sometime longer with a 350mo file than with a 650mo.

Is the patch only for the UI real estate and double tape, or also to use better the new processor?

Do you think that the 1 tera version with 6g of ram instead of 4 would have less lag for zooming and canvas rotation?

thanks.

I work with big files as well often > 1 GB and I have no lag with the 10.5" from last year, just sometimes the screen takes a bit time to refresh. While Apple claims its an Computer replacement, its not. The RAM on this machines is just to limiting even with the 1TB 6GB version. In my opinion  for heavy duty graphic work they should at least put 16GB of ram in the base model, no matter how well optimized their IOS is. But we all know that Apple would rise the price into regions where really only "I have too much money people" would buy it.

| https://www.instagram.com/lutz.heidbrink https://500px.com/lutzheidbrink | https://www.eyeem.com/u/pixelcoder | https://society6.com/pixelcoder 
iPad Pro 10.5 - iOS 11.4.1 - Affinity Photo 1.6.7 - Affinity Designer 1.6.0.35 :11_blush:

I personally would stick with the lower capacity models for this generation if you don't need the extra capacity and the next generation will likely have a minimum of 6GB across the full range of Pros. As for the whole laptop replacement argument, I think of it more as a laptop alternative. Apps like Affinity Photo mean I no longer need a MacBook Pro - which I sold - but I do have my desktop Mac in my office when I need something more traditional.

@pixelcoder@pixelcoder the files that i used are well below 1G, around  350mo and it need a bit time to refresh, around 2 or 3 second. I also read on this forum someone who have a new and a old ipad pro, and the new one need around 9 seconds more than the older ipad to open a file. I have the impression that the new ipads pro are slower than the older on affinity. 

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

Hi Worthy Image,

Can you try the following:

1. Export All
  2. In Finder, browse to the folder you want to export them to
  3. Press Select
  4. Now press the folder and you will see a tick fill the circle
  5. Press Open (not Done)

Your slices should now be exported to that folder.

On 1/2/2019 at 4:12 AM, Chris B said:

Hi Worthy Image,

Can you try the following:

1. Export All
  2. In Finder, browse to the folder you want to export them to
  3. Press Select
  4. Now press the folder and you will see a tick fill the circle
  5. Press Open (not Done)

Your slices should now be exported to that folder.

Chris, that worked. Thank you.

Comment: It is not obvious that before any slices can be exported, a folder has to be created/chosen. Initially can the Export All button - be labled something like Choose Folder and after a folder is chosen or created the button can change back to Export All? or Export?

1988625A-E432-4F96-B338-7EFCAC8B630A.jpeg

Hello, unsure if this is the right place to post this, another thread seemed to say that it is.

Are there plans to integrate with the share menu in iOS? This way, one could share an image from most apps, like Procreate or other creative apps, so as to share directly to affinity and start editing right away. This would make the workflow faster / more comfortable. Would be nice.

Just now, Yaco said:

Hello, unsure if this is the right place to post this, another thread seemed to say that it is.

Are there plans to integrate with the share menu in iOS? This way, one could share an image from most apps, like Procreate or other creative apps, so as to share directly to affinity and start editing right away. This would make the workflow faster / more comfortable. Would be nice.

You can do that today with Apple's free Shortcuts app. Download that if you haven't already, select the Open In shortcut, uncheck the option to prompt for an app and you can then select which app you wish to open in. You can select Affinity Photo and also set the properties of the shortcut to be available from the share sheet and only for image files.

Now, say you are in Photos looking at an image and you wish to edit in AP, you just hit the Share sheet, tap the shortcuts icon and select your shortcut. It is simple to set up and use and is only a single tap longer than native share sheet support.

I can provide a better tutorial if you are new to shortcuts.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/11/2019 at 8:46 AM, donka said:

I can provide a better tutorial if you are new to shortcuts.

Thank you Donka, just now noticed there was a reply!

I am new to shortcuts and tried to do it myself though, and only got so far.

So far I've installed, and if I hit the Share Icon (is that the same as the Open In icon you mention?) in, say, Photos app, I've added Shortcuts to the lower menu (where the gray icons "Save to Files", "Slideshow", etc. are).

Your guidance is very much welcome!

PS: The Shortcuts app itself looks / sounds quite intresting, thanks for the intro.

I’ll write up a quick tutorial later but I’ve shared the shortcut here for you. Just tap this and it’ll open up in shortcuts for you. You can edit it yourself to see what it does but it is quite basic. Now though when viewing an image in Photos, you can just tap the share icon (open in) and select shortcuts which will open up a small pane where you can select the shortcut which will open the image in Affinity Photo. 

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/0e1b5d19016c474f83d8679588027d01

@donka that’s awesome, thank you. Works exactly as you said it would. I’ll tinker with it!

Please let me know if you put up a tutorial.

A screencast might be a way to put put one up faster and more easily than writing an article or post would be. Loom has worked well for me and I believe it still has a free tier.

cheers and thanks again for your kind help!

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.