You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Coloring holes within fonts

I have this font that has empty holes in characters. I'm trying to color that space in with some color, but I cannot figure out how to do this.

I tried converting the text to Curve, or rasterize it to use the Fill Tool to paint the space, but they didn't help getting what I wanted. I ended up using the paint bucket tool in MSPaint to fill the space. How can I do this in Affirnity Designer?

Capture.thumb.PNG.b033c386b4a766dc733226b6708e6a42.PNG

• Staff

Hi e.k.net,

Welcome to the forums :)

It would be difficult for me to advise regarding this as I don't have the font. Could you provide me with the font file?

Thanks

Callum

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Hi, e.k.net,

Not quite the same font, but I'm willing to bet the following will work.

Convert to curves, yes. Ungroup. Select a letter w. a hole in it. In the layer panel, you will probably see that it is called "curves." Use the divide command. There will then be a bunch of "curve" objects. All will be black. Get them stacked from largest on the bottom to smallest (inner) on top, and assign whatever color you like to each layer.

LetterDivide.jpg.1f4ee5d91abc3d34cd035c4c8f1d025f.jpg

LetDivCol.jpg.d51e99f2d218662ee40762749a1c08c9.jpg

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

I was also wondering if the PO was not asking how to fill in the internal transparent parts of the letters. There I stumbled on the way to make the hole in the center transparent the A, O, B... For a single-layer letter there is no problem, but with the kind of font used here I can't do it. There is of course a way to color it if the letter is placed on a plain background.

Lettres.png