You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Myriad Pro OTF Ordinals etc not working

I am using Myriad Pro as body text, and want to change some text to ordinals. However, whatever I choose (ordinal, subscript, superscript, etc.) the text remains unchanged. When I pull up the Typography Pane, and tell it to show all font features, every single option aside from capitals looks exactly the same, and the 'fraction' and 'ordinal' check boxes are grayed out. Can you please tell me why Publisher won't display these options for an OFT? Thanks!

I am on Mojave 10.14.1, running Publisher 1.7.0.162

Screen Shot 2018-11-12 at 10.01.50.png

Ok, so I played around with it some more, thinking maybe it's because I'm coming over from Adobe ID. I've selected the "3rd" but for some reason the "rd" isn't an option to become superscript/ordinal, only the 3??

How do I get the 'rd' to be superscript??

Screen Shot 2018-11-12 at 10.10.44.png

This is how I want it to look. I had to nerf this by selecting the 'rd' and making it a smaller point size, and then adjusting the baseline for those 2 letters. Would love to know if I'm missing something or if this is a bug of some sort. Thanks!

Screen Shot 2018-11-12 at 10.14.44.png

Maybe it's a dumb question but, can you do this on another program? I ask that because in Designer, I have mixed results depending on the font I use to get this result:

image.png.6c609fd16462f3bcc64e0f8da7d42140.png

Best regards!

The Affinity products provide two ways of getting that effect in the Character panel:

1. via the Ordinals option in the Typography settings, or
  2. via the Superscript option in the Positioning and Transform settings.

Their support for Ordinals applies only when the font provides that support, and only for the characters for which the font provides it. So, if Myriad Pro does not provide "rd" as an ordinal, then the Affinity products won't produce it.

They could "fake" the support, but from what I have read they have chosen not to as that could produce inconsistent appearance. So, when you use a font that does not provide ordinal support for some situation, you need to handle it yourself. You could, for example, use Superscript (Positioning and Transform) for those characters, rather than Ordinals (Typography). Or you could adjust their size and baseline manually if Superscript doesn't provide an appearance that you like.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, Mithferion said:

Maybe it's a dumb question but, can you do this on another program? I ask that because in Designer, I have mixed results depending on the font I use to get this result:

image.png.6c609fd16462f3bcc64e0f8da7d42140.png

Best regards!

Yes, I'm using the exact same font family I was using in ID and superscript & ordinals work just fine. So I guess ID is 'faking' ordinals? But if they are faking ordinals, why doesn't using 'superscript' in Publisher work instead? It kept making the 3 superscript, and the 'rd' stayed normal.

So, I opened the same file on my desktop, which runs Sierra 10.12.6 - Publisher 1.7.0.162 - and it automatically makes superscript out of the "rd" when it comes after a number and I hit the space key! So what gives? Am I missing a preference in Publisher that is active on my desktop but turned off on my laptop, or is there something between the 2 different OS versions that's causing one Publisher to create the superscript, and the other to not?

Screenshot 2018-11-12 12.19.40.png

With APub, it's a bit easier to get to fake Superscript. And that is what ID/QXP would do with this font that doesn't have these characters as part of an ordinal feature.

You can create a character style and use it to apply Superscript to what would otherwise be ordinals in a font that has a fuller set of them. Look over on the right-side for setting a character style to be superscript.

capture-002321.png.72d4eadacb4b2ec3fdc63c6c88aa9bb0.png

8 minutes ago, MikeW said:

With APub, it's a bit easier to get to fake Superscript. And that is what ID/QXP would do with this font that doesn't have these characters as part of an ordinal feature.

You can create a character style and use it to apply Superscript to what would otherwise be ordinals in a font that has a fuller set of them. Look over on the right-side for setting a character style to be superscript.

capture-002321.png.72d4eadacb4b2ec3fdc63c6c88aa9bb0.png

Yes, I tried that too. On my laptop, it wouldn't work. The only way I could get a superscript look was to manually adjust the font point and baseline. Creating a style and applying it resulted in no change whatsoever. Superscript simply didn't happen, for any text, regardless of what I selected.

I'm pretty sure this is some sort of bug in Affinity Publisher running on Mojave.

19 hours ago, Loquos said:

Yes, I'm using the exact same font family I was using in ID and superscript & ordinals work just fine. So I guess ID is 'faking' ordinals? But if they are faking ordinals, why doesn't using 'superscript' in Publisher work instead? It kept making the 3 superscript, and the 'rd' stayed normal.

So, I opened the same file on my desktop, which runs Sierra 10.12.6 - Publisher 1.7.0.162 - and it automatically makes superscript out of the "rd" when it comes after a number and I hit the space key! So what gives? Am I missing a preference in Publisher that is active on my desktop but turned off on my laptop, or is there something between the 2 different OS versions that's causing one Publisher to create the superscript, and the other to not?

There are several things happening here. First, the Ordinal OpenType feature often only applies to o or a, which are used in Spanish and related languages for masculine and feminine gendered numbers. Many fonts implement it for those and not for English ordinals like 3rd. Publisher doesn't do fake ordinals currently, and if it did it would probably only do so if the font had no support at all, so as not to interfere with the font author's intent or get mismatched glyphs.

Second, Publisher has two ways of setting Superscript. The typographic way is based on replacing glyphs, and is either implemented by OpenType or by switching Unicode characters. Either way, it only works for characters that have suitable superscript glyphs defined by the font. This is why the Superscript from the Typography section works for 3 and not for rd. The other way just scales and offsets the original glyphs, and as such works for all characters. This one is set from the Positioning and Transform section and is probably what you should be using here.

Third, Publisher does indeed have an option Preferences > Auto-Correct > Superscript ordinals as they are typed and it sounds like you have this enabled on one machine and not the other. It switches on the scale and offset method, so always works. That this is working on your desktop makes me believe that Publisher is working as designed, and that you are simply using Superscript from the Typography section rather than the Positioning and Transform section.

1 hour ago, Dave Harris said:

There are several things happening here. First, the Ordinal OpenType feature often only applies to o or a, which are used in Spanish and related languages for masculine and feminine gendered numbers. Many fonts implement it for those and not for English ordinals like 3rd. Publisher doesn't do fake ordinals currently, and if it did it would probably only do so if the font had no support at all, so as not to interfere with the font author's intent or get mismatched glyphs.

Second, Publisher has two ways of setting Superscript. The typographic way is based on replacing glyphs, and is either implemented by OpenType or by switching Unicode characters. Either way, it only works for characters that have suitable superscript glyphs defined by the font. This is why the Superscript from the Typography section works for 3 and not for rd. The other way just scales and offsets the original glyphs, and as such works for all characters. This one is set from the Positioning and Transform section and is probably what you should be using here.

Third, Publisher does indeed have an option Preferences > Auto-Correct > Superscript ordinals as they are typed and it sounds like you have this enabled on one machine and not the other. It switches on the scale and offset method, so always works. That this is working on your desktop makes me believe that Publisher is working as designed, and that you are simply using Superscript from the Typography section rather than the Positioning and Transform section.

Thanks so much for the detailed response, Dave!

I just went and checked these options under Preferences > Auto-Correct > Superscript ordinals as they are typed and it is checked on my laptop. So I tried the old "uncheck then check again" and now superscript is working just fine! Weird bug? Or weird user error. O.o If it happens on my laptop again I'll document it.

(Also great to know about this option under Positioning and Transform. Thanks!)

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.