You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Preventing Gradients from Rasterizing when exporting. Please Help!

Noob user here! Sorry if this has already been addressed. 

Here is my issue. I created a Vector Design in Affinity Designer on my iPad Pro.

I exported the file as an EPS with the hopes of making some changes in Illustrator on my Desktop. Everything seemed to transfer fine - except for the vector gradients. They get rasterized as images. 

I would love any advice or ways to avoid this. 

-Shaun

1 hour ago, GabrielM said:

...EPS does not support vector gradients. I suggest you export as SVG and you should be fine...

You must mean that Affinity products do not support gradients in an EPS? Nope, ya don't mean that, at least as regards exporting an object with a gradient from AD desktop.

First is a screen shot exported from AD (Desktop) as an EPS and opened in CD. Sure enough, it comes in fine (albeit as an RGB color).

capture-002320.png.bae108ed09344c188b2baaf304f18bbc.png

Here's a CD-made rectangle with a gradient fill that I imported into AD (Desktop).

capture-002319.png.ede9b220ac0afee0640f5ae750993858.png

Now, unfortuantely, AD mucks it up by making it a grayscale (it'll make the document gray if one opens the CD-made EPS that otherwise had color). But it does do it.

So maybe you simply mean the iPad version of AD cannot do this versus the desktop version?

Mike

37 minutes ago, GabrielM said:

@MikeW, I was talking specifically about AD to AI. An EPS gradient created in Designer will be rasterised when importing it in Illustrator. 

Yes, I thought so. But that wasn't actually what was written.

AI has always been behind just about every other design application for certain features. This one included. Generally, any gradient type that is supported in a PDF will come in properly (at least from other applications), but one needs to release the bazillion clipping masks they will have in order to manipulate properly. That's another thing AI is behind the times on (clipping masks not automatically released properly).

Mike

FWIW, I came across reference from Adobe's  Dov Isaacs saying that the company considered .eps to be a legacy format. 

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

eps issue aside - do most people just export as an SVG and edit in Illustrator when needed?

I'm hoping to stay within Affinity in most cases, but since certain vendors as for .ai files I'm hoping to figure out the best process for exporting into Illustrator and preserving the work I've done in Affinity. 

Appreciate any help.