You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Serifs approach to development (split)

19 hours ago, SrPx said:

Ehm....I don't actually agree with all that. Look, I have deeply trialed both AI and PS in its latest versions, and they are definitely actual jewels. Yes, quite resource hungry and loading (at least in Windows)  a lot of extra TSR processes (there are ways to get that 100% under control, tho. But I bet only a 0.01% of "digital population" knows how, lol) removing resources, memory, etc. All of that, with a lot of crazy-geek-level fine tuning can be put under control, and get reasonable, functional performance even in a dinosaur machine like mine (in the signature down below). Heck, even with GPU acceleration off, getting smooth brush painting in huge canvases, while being totally stuck in a raw fresh install ( I took it as a crazy challenge). They were stable in a many hours intensive set of tests in my experience.

I have used Adobe tools 5 to 6 days a week daily for the past 26 years, with the exception when Freehand is still in business, and when later InDesign came along. What good is a software if it needs user to do many workarounds and switched off many resources? Maybe you are working with small files. We worked with huge pre-press files, large event panel files, and the latest Illustrator is just not production ready.

• Bounding box disappeared by itself (mac)
  • Changing text box A attributes will affect text box B. Text box A have no effect, need to quit (mac)
  • Select an object and the properties panel do not reflect the selection (mac)
  • The program reset preference as and when it likes (mac)
  • AI ext is associated to XD and cannot be changed (Win)
  • measurements are not accurate (e.g., enter 210 mm, the properties may become 209.99 mm - long term)
  • White became yellow on screen
  • kerning set will revert to 0 after deselect
  • Out of memory (mac)

Most these may be non-existent if you are working with tiny file sizes, I do not know! Support will only tell you we have a new update 23.0.1, please update and thread is closed.

Sorry for whining, out of topic.

Wow, gbjack, really sorry to hear that. I understand the furor....

[I've worked with large files too, specially for events, too (both raster and vector), back in the day at companies.....but I am typically (not always, tho) lucky...]

AI ext is associated to XD and cannot be changed (Win)

Some apps do this in Windows from time to time. It's horrid... The one taking over should be really able to, but sometimes sth is wrong in the installer or uninstaller... If nothing works, I'd re-associate manually (by right click on any *.AI file, "open with", mark "open always with this type of file", then browsing to the AI folder, and pick AI executable. If that ain't working either, then is some registry issue, I'd have to edit (probably in several places, and as always, if done by someone expert touching the Windows Registry, even if just a power user not even a system tech. And previous backing up the registry, client files(well, this we do always, anyway), etc) manually the registry, so to force the extension to be opened with AI and not A.XD app.

measurements are not accurate

I observed that to happen sometimes, or sth similar, but with PS....

The out of memory stuff can be for a collection of reasons (app related or not). But as I mentioned, it seems their apps are becoming really hardware and resources hungry. Now, that's indeed my main criticism... (I have read in a pair of in depth articles that they are working heavily on performance, they took note of many complaints it seems, about the matter, that's the "less visible improvements", in 2019 versions... It's to be seen where and how does that new path ends. Not optimistic related to that optimization to be too radical, tho).  Any other app I've used for 2D (including Affinity apps) is lighter in that resources usage than latest adobe ones.... Well.... That's why it is lovely that there a bunch of other alternatives.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

On 11/27/2018 at 7:26 PM, AiDon said:
  19 hours ago, John Gibson said:

Patrick, could you please post links to any of these interviews? I would be interested to read/watch them, thanks in advance.

Do you actually use Affinity products and, if so, which ones?

Wouldn't it be nice to close this topic as it is really pointless, 

>>>>>>>>>>>

Are you reluctant to answer this question?

No, I'm just busy. It seems I cannot win here. Jim wants me to spend less time at the keyboard and you want me to send more lol :)

I am a prospective purchase of the Affinity products for a studio of creatives. I am likely to purchase Designer and Photo, along with the 2 workbooks, shortly for some personal trials over the Christmas/New Year period, to get a sense their usage.

If you feel the topic is pointless, why are you here - close yourself down rather than others! Surely you're not seeking to censor other free thinking and acting people?

I have appreciated all of the detailed comments here, including yours as a photographer, even the ones that jibe or disagree with me, as I appreciate the feedback.

There seems little point to me to enter into platform changes of my go-to creative software, unless the alternative is fit for purpose, and/or the developers and community that comprise the network surrounding the products (which in totality is the products network effect) are open to suggestion, negotiation and are responsive.

I also like to know if the vendors I work with are open to the development of partnerships of the strategic kind, and what the mutual possibilities may be in our collaboration, which for me begins by getting a sense of the culture of the network/coimmunity surrounding the product.

As Patrick and all of the contributors here have largely reaffirmed Serif and Affinity, and have been helpful with conferring the future, I am feeling somewhat more inclined to change platform post my trials should things check out.

I was especially reaffirmed by the fact the the Serif MD has pointed to Serif's current growth being on the back on new users, which will ultimately have to change in time.

As much as many don't wish to talk about subscriptions or other types of pricing regimes, in my mind if Serif were only going to rely on perpetual license/one off sales, then by definition of basic math, they would be unable to survive into the future, which in turn would have suggested that I was driving into a dead-end street by choosing Affinity irrespective of the current quality of their product offerings. 

On 11/27/2018 at 12:29 PM, SrPx said:

Some good points you made there ( in the post I hadn't read as cross posting happened, not the one you posted just above...geez, this goes too fast....). Sadly, very tight on time right now, and am afraid wont be able to post more till tomorrow at very late hour....

If you are managing/owning a commercial studio (in whatever the field(s)) you are probably aware of all the following, but there's always some bit each of us aren't aware of, so, here I go.... :

- Animation: I have a HUGE post with links and stuff about it. Well, actually quite more than one. There are so many apps under the 300 bucks line, which are, equal if not better than the old Flash (Animate)  that I don't see a need to get yet another one, but instead, master, or make your employees master, the one, or the ones that integrates best in your workflows and client needs. ( Toon Boom, Cacani, Moho, Animation paper (PAP), Opentonz, etc, etc, etc. For games, maybe more sth like Spine). Toonboon is the king and gets pricey, but there's a variety of product levels and prices, tho. Like in most of these brands.

- Video editing: Davinci Resolve not only counts on a solid video editor (very solid), it gives you a totally free version with  reduced -yet large- resolution allowed in export, and some other limits not stopping even serious indies to make hi quality work. It has also included a compositing solution (Fusion, can get apart, too) that you could use for kind of the functionality of A. After Effects. Then you have Hitfilm ( also quite capable free version available), perhaps in a lower level (video editing and effects, too).  Besides that, for typical simpler commercial videos not so FX heavy, less advanced, rarely will go wrong with Sony Vegas. All these are ~300 (or cheaper) bucks solutions, permanent purchase license. Pretty affordable. There are a long bunch of other affordable tools out there for video editing, even some good ones in the free land.

- Audio: I have needed to clean audio, make basic loops, generate game sounds,  etc, as u know it ends up happening in every small game studio when you are used for everything, from testing, to audio, translations, etc. For my definitely non-pro needs there (but my files ended in pro products, lol), Audacity always was enough. But there are other free or cheap options like Acoustica or Ardour. If doing something pro, you need to go to the big guys, of course. (but mostly, count on some one really pro person in sound FX, music, etc)

There is a literal ton of tools for practically everything. By using a lot of these, I have realized how is not so true that Adobe and Autodesk have the best possible thing ever for this or that field: I mean, for every freaking field, out of the main two/three apps. They totally got it with PS, AI, After Effects (but there are also valid alternatives, IMO, for all those. Specific circumstances will define if one needs Adobe or not (compatibility with clients in native formats, certain feature, etc), Premiere (but same). And some more. 

But for example, back in the time, the UV mapper included (and even some third party expensive set of plugins) in 3DS Max ( the UVW Window) was NO WAY close to the depth and flexibility found in a sort of individual, one man band developer tool called Unwrap 3D (know it and exchanged mails with the author since Lithunwrap times, the precursor freebie). of course, times change, Max evolved a lot, but this still happens with so many things. Even more when you need very specific tasks in your workflow. There's always a tool absolutely shining over anything else, included behemoths top dogs from large companies.

I'm expanding here because you say you have interest on alternatives (ie, you commented interest on Corel, which makes a great work in the area of color separation for printing, to give an example of its huge advantages, and Photopaint is a great helper for an Illustrator finishing works -ie, supports CMYK (not that common, to be supported) there where Corel Painter never did- Still, IMO is no competition for Affinity due to pricing. Specially in an studio needing several seats ) , and so, I guess it might be of interest, but also, to  make my point (arguable, I know) that as time passes, it is increasingly clear that there's now so much variety and competition, that the entire HUGE suite concept (instead of at least a smaller, more theme related and compact "suite" of 3/4 estelar tools) made more sense in the 90s, not so much anymore, where all market workflows has over complicated, tasks are way more deep. Just look at the uber crazy complexity of a single workflow in Allegoritmic Substance Painter or Designer. There's quite a whole complex world in its own embedded there in just two apps. This is no 1995 anymore (for both better and worse). Also, discourages going for it the so well tied the market is by Adobe and Autodesk. IMO, would not be a clever move. But imo the clever path is how Serif is doing, focusing on making a master piece out of each of the 3 most fundamental type of tools for the larger market, 2D. Is more wall of text of my 2c, though.

This is really good stuff, as I am doing a total review right now of my software tools. Unfortunately we all tend to fall into doing what we know, so its time to reconsider all options, especially given Adobe exorbitant pricing.

I'll provide a fuller answer by the weekend SrPx, much appreciated :D 

2 minutes ago, John Gibson said:

I am likely to purchase Designer and Photo, along with the 2 workbooks, shortly for some personal trials over the Christmas/New Year period, to get a sense their usage.

Both Designer and Photo are available to try for free:

https://affin.co/designertrial

https://affin.co/phototrial

Please note that the ten-day trial clock runs continuously from the first time you launch the app.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

5 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

Both Designer and Photo are available to try for free:

https://affin.co/designertrial

https://affin.co/phototrial

Please note that the ten-day trial clock runs continuously from the first time you launch the app.

Cool, I appreciate that, but I will need a month or two and a few serious jobs to test Affinity with. I find that often I foolishly just register for a new product only to get distracted and find my free trial time has elapsed before I realised, so these days I am resigned to a purchase even for testing purposes, unless the product is price prohibitive. Cheers!

On 11/27/2018 at 12:13 AM, Patrick Connor said:

There's one recent one here . I've not listened to all of it yet (over 1 hour) but I'm fairly sure it does not mention subscription for corp/education. I will see if anyone can find the one I'm thinking of.

Written one here

Patrick, thank you.

I will listen to this interview on the weekend, and I am reassured by the MD comments re the need to change price regimes in the future. Great stuff!

23 hours ago, gbjack said:

I have used Adobe tools 5 to 6 days a week daily for the past 26 years, with the exception when Freehand is still in business, and when later InDesign came along. What good is a software if it needs user to do many workarounds and switched off many resources? Maybe you are working with small files. We worked with huge pre-press files, large event panel files, and the latest Illustrator is just not production ready.

• Bounding box disappeared by itself (mac)
  • Changing text box A attributes will affect text box B. Text box A have no effect, need to quit (mac)
  • Select an object and the properties panel do not reflect the selection (mac)
  • The program reset preference as and when it likes (mac)
  • AI ext is associated to XD and cannot be changed (Win)
  • measurements are not accurate (e.g., enter 210 mm, the properties may become 209.99 mm - long term)
  • White became yellow on screen
  • kerning set will revert to 0 after deselect
  • Out of memory (mac)

Most these may be non-existent if you are working with tiny file sizes, I do not know! Support will only tell you we have a new update 23.0.1, please update and thread is closed.

Sorry for whining, out of topic.

Yes, I agree. This sort of sloppy shit is another reason Adobe annoys me, and unfortunately Apple are even worse both in gliches, stupid product decisions and workflows, along with prohibitive pricing on their software, otherwise I might well use Final Cut and Logic Pro.

3 minutes ago, John Gibson said:

I find that often I foolishly just register for a new product only to get distracted and find my free trial time has elapsed before I realised

I can fairly confidently state that you’re far from being alone in that, John!

It’s worth noting that the Affinity suite’s shared file format means you can save files during the first trial and then reopen them when subsequently trialling the other app.

Alfred spacer.png

On 11/27/2018 at 10:14 PM, gbjack said:

Answer 1 : AUD55 for 1 piece or bundle 3 at AUD150 per year should be good and competitive.

Answer 2: Have an option to sell the bundle like for - graphics, web, video/ animation/ gaming or individually, instead of forcing us to have everything.

Yes I agree with these points too - AUD$150 seems pretty reasonable for a per annum arrangement.

I agree there should be sub-product bundles was you describe. I also think there should be different pricing regimes for different user groups, to really encourage new user uptake by removing the barriers to entry. Everyone seems to do single user, and also multiple users being the single user price multiplied by the multiple user quantity (sometimes with a bulk buy discount, sometimes not), and then there's education/students but often with function limitations which are stupid, unnecessary barriers. 

I'd like to see groups like single user start-ups, incidental users (people who don't really need the software but might use it if the price is right), casual users (ie. I need it this month so I pay, I don't next month so I don't), not-for-profits, agents and sub-users (people whose business model includes infrequent or purpose specific sub-users as a pricing regime, NOT an affiliate program) and a number of others.  

9 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

I can fairly confidently state that you’re far from being alone in that, John!

It’s worth noting that the Affinity suite’s shared file format means you can save files during the first trial and then reopen them when subsequently trialling the other app.

LMAO! Good to know, thanks. I'm quite looking forward to having a play.

Just a few questions:

Is the iPad use of Affinity products superior to the DTP apps due to the touch UI?

Can you use a tablet with Affinity products?

Are there any limitations when moving between iOS and OSX?

1 hour ago, John Gibson said:

Is the iPad use of Affinity products superior to the DTP apps due to the touch UI?

I like my iPad, and I use it more than my Windows laptop these days, but YMMV. In particular, switching from a 14″ laptop screen to a 9.7″ iPad screen isn’t a big deal for me, but if you’re used to working with a 27″ iMac screen you might find things a bit cramped, even on a 12.9″ iPad.

There are some important restrictions in the iPad apps, such as the lack of coverage map controls and the inability to record macros.

Yes.

I’m not a Mac user, so I’ll leave that question for someone who is.

Alfred spacer.png

• Staff
11 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

Yes.

Only iPads, or am I missing the point of your answer

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

11 hours ago, John Gibson said:

then by definition of basic math, they would be unable to survive into the future,

My problem with that concept is that, if so, there must be other factors in play. A business model, from Harvard or wherever....You know how economy is not easy to predict even by the best world famous, established gurus (they tend to be proven wrong too many times, and most of them are very cautious with their models, specially lately). My huge issue is that I see that a lot of vendors doing the other model for decades, and currently, a single application (this actually invalidates the statement of a need to make a suite to do something value worthy in business) , for even only one platform, and purchase-only (or as much, bleeding edge option for subscription based + purchase only for the other mass of users). 

Those companies would have not lasted, otherwise. Winzip being around since the eighties, no less... But Zbrush, beating anyone else, even the ultra powerful Autodesk, with its app, and Autodesk Mudbox (VERY nice software, btw, I indeed like more its UI than Zbrush's...BTW, I have a ZB license purchased since very very long, when they were not yet what they are now)  not having even a chance. ZB's got the market, the full domain. No suite needed, no subscription model either. Been purchase-only for a huge while. Typical single, volume, or float (and student) licenses which we've always had in every piece of software for decades. And that's it. And trust me, ZB is a huuge thing in graphics. It gets all the game market, and you know the kind of money that one moves.... both indy/casual and mega pro triple A stuff. It gets the VR market right now. Even a big chunk of the film space (Mari has most of it in what is texturing, tho). There are too many examples. One of the best the mentioned Substance Painter and Designer from Allegorithmic. Giving all sort of options, both models, freedom to choose. And it was clearly not a dark path to transfer ppl fully to subscription, as time passes and they keep both models. Art Rage, Corel , etc. Many examples... They all offer a purchase option. Many of them as single possibility. Those would have sunk decades ago if subscription would be the only way, and/or would have ALL switched. And we are talking about full industry standards. I cannot go to ANY job , game related, and pretend to get the job without knowing (actually fully mastering) Zbrush. No matter how genius could I be with THE ENTIRE Adobe suite and the entire Autodesk one. As much, if they value enough my other skills, and I demonstrate high skill on Mudbox, and they are cool people, they'd allow me to retrain that "second in line" Mudbox skills to transfer them to ZB. But just that.

This is really good stuff, as I am doing a total review right now of my software tools. Unfortunately we all tend to fall into doing what we know, so its time to reconsider all options, especially given Adobe exorbitant pricing.

Beware that often a specific critical workflow ( even if just a rare type of project, but that is vital for your company) might not be possible with alternative tools (lacking A or B feature), whichever they are. I'd check with the technical people in your studio, and their workflows. Otherwise there can be surprises (not only with Affinity, but with the other apps I was suggesting). Once knowing fully all the bits, can decide.

I'll provide a fuller answer by the weekend SrPx, much appreciated

You're welcome ! :). More than an answer, it needs an study about what workflows are you going to need, in detail, a practical research with your colleagues or employees....IMO

10 hours ago, John Gibson said:

I doubt it (but judging the many videos I have seen (some gestures are pure genius), the Affinity iPad implementations outshine almost anything else on the iPad, IMO. The implementation, workflow, etc, is brilliant). But I'm controversial in this matter (generic tablets & iPad vs desktop). For pro work, I always see the iPad as a powerful companion, never a replacement. Even if just for the screen size, this limits in too many ways for pro work. But also for the file system, compatibility with a lot of the professional established software, etc.  Still is amazing for showing work to clients , and do stuff when you are away from the desktop ( I guess...)

An iPad is a tablet (edit: oh, if meaning a pen-display like a Wacom Cintiq or alternative, yep, u also can), so, yep. Some would say a Surface Pro is a tablet , too... (just imo, for work, actually more versatile. But the jitter in the pen when drawing lines is way worse, as is all of the pen's aspects compared to the Pencil. But again, a size of 12 inches is of limited usage for pro stuff, in both cases.  )

The issue is that I see iOS limited, in comparison to Windows and OSX..... Color management, you can't go as much in detail (fine control of that) with certain stuff. Hardware, it limits the size of canvases. So, you might be limited to 10.000 px x 8000 px canvases or the like ( 8k x 8k, etc)...not good enough for me ( I too often need to work fluidly in a (raster) 25k x 20k px, or similar), that's for sure. You can't put either whatever the graphic card or extra RAM memory, nor change the CPU, etc, etc (when a certain project needs it, a particular software, etc) to an ipad. "File system", it's a different paradigm, and there are certain issues with that. Compatibility with certain professional software in a bunch of business types.    If we talk about "moving" or "replacement". If we speak of it as a "companion" tool, there I have no objections...

Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

On 11/24/2018 at 4:16 PM, John Gibson said:

Perpetual licenses are not sustainable unless there are infinite users - even a high school maths student versed in exponents could tell you that, but thats obviously also beyond your brain capacity. 

The problem is not the subscription model, but rather the price gouging quantum of Adobe's subscription model as it currently stands, as a result of Adobes monopolistic position.

Ugly? What is it with people who can't call a spade a spade, for crying out loud? Where are the adults in the room that can have a frank and forthright discussion?

Hello John, your words are harsh and straight out hostile, i hope that its just a misunderstanding that you are attacking others personally.

There is an "infinite amount of users" its the human population growth which is growing each year.
Even if there where a theoretical saturation of consumption, Serif would then release a new version - a paid upgrade and the sales begin again.

Serif hasn`t even begun yet in catering to at least ~1 billion potential customers which would happen if RTL writing was available inside the Affinity range.
Here an image showing the distribution of just one of the many scripts(here is the Arabic script distribution) which happen to be RTL writing, there are more scripts like Hebrew which also is RTL.

Arabic_alphabet_world_distribution_-_fou

Subscriptions are like renting a house, you won´t get attached to the area/product and can and will probably move on to other areas/prodcuts like you dear John are doing while abandoning the Adobe renting area.

Edited by myclay
corrected the writing

Sketchbook (with Affinity Suite usage) | timurariman.com | gumroad.com/myclay
Windows 11 Pro - 22H2 | Ryzen 5800X3D | RTX 3090 - 24GB | 128GB |
Main SSD with 1TB | SSD 4TB | PCIe SSD 256GB (configured as Scratch disk) |

2 hours ago, myclay said:

like you dear John

https://youtu.be/LMueKWzG0WE

https://youtu.be/KnnHprUGKF0

[ *  Runs away. Very fast ....  * ]

;) 

On 11/24/2018 at 4:48 PM, John Gibson said:

So if Serif is going to continue like an old world company with a old world viewpoint, well they will go the way of Britain too - once an empire, now a niche player.

On 11/24/2018 at 5:02 PM, John Gibson said:

The Americans fought the War of Independence to throw off the shackles of English thinking and now they lead the world, including in the creative software industry.

The americans, who actually were the french, German, Italian, BRITISH, Spanish and DUTCH fought this war to throw off the shackles of Business and trade tied to England, not 'thinking'. And besides, history teaches us what we should have learned from History, empires fall, collapsing mostly from within as opposed to invasion, and America is hardly Leading the world, her dominance is more by force due to the fact that her empire is also collapsing. 

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

John Gibson, you could give monthly, substantial donations to Serif. I'm sure Serif will tell you their PayPal. I find the crowdfunding idea interesting too.

Just this morning I received a popup banner from WeekCal, the calendar app I've purchased and been using for years now on iOS. They asked me to switch to a subscription based model. I was thinking: oh my, them too? If they change to a subscription based model I need to change software, EVEN THOUGH I've paid for their software.

For hardware, companies in most western countries need to give a warranty for a certain amount of time. For some it's 2 years, others 10. Different for different categories and countries. If the released product is faulty, they need to take it back or replace it. With software that's simpler than with hardware.

However, if BMW releases a new car, this doesn't mean that everyone is getting a free upgrade. A customer can sell his old BMW, and upgrade to a new one. Some people ride their cars 2 years, others 20 years.

I find this "forced subscription or shut down" model is not to my liking and not within my financial abilities. Maybe some people can afford it, I can't. I had to say good bye to Adobe upgrades (even though I loved the software), goodbye to Ulysses upgrades (I run my old version, plus purchased Scrivener), and maybe I need to say good bye to WeekCal (but can hopefully continue to use my current version).

Also, I don't understand why everyone needs to get filthy rich. Aren't there enough rich people who store their money overseas and are useless to society already? I think it's possible to run a great company, have great income, and that's that. No need to lose ground contact. I'm sure that's possible with a user base of a couple of tens or even hundred thousand customers.

3 hours ago, Chris26 said:

due to the fact that her empire is also collapsing. 

Hope not ! They're amazing ppl to work with / for.

18 hours ago, appuser99 said:

I find this "forced subscription or shut down" model is not to my liking and not within my financial abilities. Maybe some people can afford it, I can't. I had to say good bye to Adobe upgrades (even though I loved the software), goodbye to Ulysses upgrades (I run my old version, plus purchased Scrivener), and maybe I need to say good bye to WeekCal (but can hopefully continue to use my current version).

Don't worry appuser99, now there is affinity to the rescue!

My customer journey with affinity begins constantly looking for workarounds on Adobe Illustrator due to its bugs in the latest and newest version. I went through Adobe's forum only to be told 1 message, "upgrade to the latest version!" without any solution.

One day, I can across some forum talking about affinity designer and photo. I checked it out, looked at their features, checked out some reviews and purchased the software in conjunction with Black Friday offer. This proved to be a good decision for small-time freelancer like me. I picked up the software immediately and there is little need for re-training, while the money saved on subscribing to Adobe software can be used on better hardware.

• 2 months later...
On 11/26/2018 at 8:02 PM, gbjack said:
  • I will upgrade if the features are attractive and essential. I do not support perpetual license.
  • I do not see the need to use 20 software, Adobe is playing the greed "tricks" on her users, and on the other hand, Adobe shifted her software development to India for more profits, resulting in poor quality stuff. (I am not against Indians)

" Unlike some developers, Serif doesn’t outsource coding work to developers in low-cost countries. “We’re proud that we’re entirely UK based, but from a development perspective it is one of our challenges,” Hewson admits. “We’re in Nottingham but no matter where we were in the UK that’s always going to be the same issue, finding really good people who have a level of experience in writing creativity apps.” 

unquote

Hi @gbjack No offence mate. Just a fact... When You start Photoshop, the second name after Thomas Knoll is Seetharam, who is with Adobe for nearly 3 decades. He's an Indian and one of the top contributors to Photoshop that it's a household name today. 

I fully concur with the views that CC products have become buggy more and less value generated in every new update. 

Of course talented and skilled people are around the globe, the only thing which can be holding people back is the lack of opportunities.
Ethnicity plays a lot less of a role than you unintentionally implied there. ;-)
Prior to working at Adobe, Mr Seetharaman worked for CrystalGraphics which is like Adobe based in the US.

I hope what was meant with avoiding "outsourcing" is the sweatshop mentality where companies abuse the economic development of other countries to use talent in those countries for marginal wages.
If Serif is avoiding the sweatshop mentality to instead hire and give relocation assistance, more power to them.

Sketchbook (with Affinity Suite usage) | timurariman.com | gumroad.com/myclay
Windows 11 Pro - 22H2 | Ryzen 5800X3D | RTX 3090 - 24GB | 128GB |
Main SSD with 1TB | SSD 4TB | PCIe SSD 256GB (configured as Scratch disk) |