You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

So, I just recently purchased Affinity Photo in hopes to have a software like photoshop to draw and paint on and the reviews looked pretty good. But, when I try to draw using the paint brush it pixelates first and then becomes a line and I have no idea what to do and there was no guide as to what can be done. I saw a video where it said the software needs to be set up in a certain way to draw and paint efficiently. If there is set ups to this please let me know. Also, there seems to be some color glitch where i select the color but still can't paint it on the canvas. Help Me.

• What are you using to draw with?
  • Which Operating System are you using?
  • What version of Affinity Photo are you using
  • What are your system specs?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

On 11/12/2018 at 3:32 AM, firstdefence said:
  • What are you using to draw with?
  • Which Operating System are you using?
  • What version of Affinity Photo are you using
  • What are your system specs?

I forgot to quote ....

I'm using a huion h950P with the latest drivers.

I'm on Mac and OS is the new one (OSX Mojave).

I just purchased the App so it is the latest version offered by the Apple App store.

And what specs do I need to specify?

13 minutes ago, Manthan Bhatt said:

And what specs do I need to specify?

CPU mainly and maybe memory (RAM) also what settings in preferences do you have on the Performance Panel and in particular Display:

The better settings are OpenGL or Metal, there are some graphic cards that don't support metal especially if the Mac is pre 2012 so a 2011 Mac is unlikely to to have the option to use metal and will use OpenGL as the best option. Even some of the more modern Macs will not be able to use Metal although if you have Mojave you should also have Metal set in the Display: option as Mojave requires Metal

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

2 hours ago, firstdefence said:

CPU mainly and maybe memory (RAM) also what settings in preferences do you have on the Performance Panel and in particular Display:

The better settings are OpenGL or Metal, there are some graphic cards that don't support metal especially if the Mac is pre 2012 so a 2011 Mac is unlikely to to have the option to use metal and will use OpenGL as the best option. Even some of the more modern Macs will not be able to use Metal although if you have Mojave you should also have Metal set in the Display: option as Mojave requires Metal

I don't have much idea about it but I'll just type in what I can see... Let me know if you need more information.

So it is an Early 2015 MacBook Pro with 2.7 GHz intel core i5 and 8GB Ram. Graphics are Intel Iris 6100.

The options for the Performance panels will be in the screenshot attached. The display options are Software, OpenGL(Basic), OpenGL, Metal.

P.S. Thank you so much for taking out time. I was really scared since I had to pay for it and still couldn't use it properly.

Screen Shot 2018-11-14 at 3.40.56 PM.png

You need to change Display: to OpenGL not OpenGL Basic, it should run a bit better with OpenGL.

This app OpenGL Extension Viewer will tell you info about your system and whether it will support Metal: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/opengl-extensions-viewer/id444052073?mt=12

When you run this app it should tell you on the summary page whether your system is capable of running Metal, use metal if you have that option else use OpenGL

9 hours ago, firstdefence said:

You need to change Display: to OpenGL not OpenGL Basic, it should run a bit better with OpenGL.

This app OpenGL Extension Viewer will tell you info about your system and whether it will support Metal: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/opengl-extensions-viewer/id444052073?mt=12

When you run this app it should tell you on the summary page whether your system is capable of running Metal, use metal if you have that option else use OpenGL

i tried running all the modes none seem to stop it from pixelating first.

In Affinity Photo the brushes are Raster brushes so by their nature they are pixelated, I suppose the next step is to make a short video when using the brush.

Also which brush/brushes are you using? Basic, Daub, Texture, Effects.

On 11/15/2018 at 2:48 AM, firstdefence said:

In Affinity Photo the brushes are Raster brushes so by their nature they are pixelated, I suppose the next step is to make a short video when using the brush.

Also which brush/brushes are you using? Basic, Daub, Texture, Effects.

I understand that they are pixelated however. it takes like a good 2 seconds to form a line. Which isn't ideal when drawing digitally... I tried using all kinds of brushes some become normal faster. some later, but they all lag... not only brushes but also the eraser(with 100% hardness and opacity everything) erases the line but some pixels are just left behind and after 2 seconds they disappear... so even while erasing I have to wait to check if I completely erased what I wanted to.

I'll be posting a video that shows the same asap.

What is the size in pixels of the brush and/or eraser ? Do you have the stabilizer on ?

I wouldn't let Nearest Neighbor in preferences, in View quality. Set the best quality there, even with that poor integrated card.  Neighbor is gonna give more pixelated stuff.

The lag could be the stabilizer is on at a high rate, - is a brush setting in the top bar once u have the brush tool selected- or the brush or eraser are like 300, 500px, or bigger even brushes. Or there's some issue with the Huion driver (with non wacom tablets is often recommended to totally uninstall any wacom or other brand drivers,(and I mean wipin' 'em out) then cleanly install the huion or whatever drivers. Otherwise, issues can come easily). My 2cs. 

There's some lag, but by no means that bad, at all. In a very much lower end windows pc like mine (I have a dedicated card, but in Affinity that's not the thing. CPU is an i7, but sure way older than yours) you can draw, there's certain lag at beginning of a stroke, but it would never reach a second ( can happen also when doing small features when drawing zoomed out)

Did you experienced this with the trial ?

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.