You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Find and Replace with Kerning embedded in Replace" - as a fix for missing letters in low res copy

I'm testing Publisher with a photography newsletter and two of my proofreaders immediately noticed that when a word contained the letters f and i together. When they viewed the low res copy I sent them for editing the i was always missing. I had been using Trebuchet as the font so I'm not sure if this is an issue when using that font only or with all low res exports from AP. On screen it is a very tight fit between the f and i as well so a simple 1% kerning between letters cleared that up nicely.

In any case I attempted to do a find and replace of all fi combos and replace it with a copied fi that had been kerned 1%. No go!

In this case I used the panel of found fi's within the search list to fix them all, but for a longer than 18 page issue of publication I am hoping this is just something I'm missing out on, or at least can find an alternate way of fixing the kerning globally in cases like this.

BTW... I know the Beta comes with warnings about being a beta and tester beware... but I have full faith in Affinity and blazed away regardless.... with the result being the most polished newsletter our club has ever produced... thanks to Affinity! No real issues throughout until I came to the f i issue... again, that may be me and not AP.

Suggestions?

It might simply be that you need to select the text and (via the Character studio panel) disable ligatures.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

It might simply be that you need to select the text and (via the Character studio panel) disable ligatures.

Thanks Walt... I checked in Character -> Typography and the fi was highlighted which I suspect means Standard Ligatures was then set to "on"? I've turned it off for now so will check on next run through.

1 hour ago, pondball said:

Thanks Walt... I checked in Character -> Typography and the fi was highlighted which I suspect means Standard Ligatures was then set to "on"? I've turned it off for now so will check on next run through.

Yes, that's what it would mean.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Yes, that's what it would mean.

thanks Walt... so from what I can see it was probably because of the font Trebuchet + having Standard Ligature turned on that caused the fi to be blended into one character. This wouldn't necessarily happen with other fonts though if they don't have an extended character set, which I also suspect Trebuchet has.

• 5 months later...

I substituted the Segui UI font for Trebuchet and the print looks as intended. However, I prefer the Trebuchet font. Tried turning lit. off made no change. Onscreen everything looks fine but the print is where I'm having the problem. If I export as pdf and print in another program, it prints as intended. So the problem has to be an affinity print problem.

I am using win10, latest version and the trebuchet font is the latest. Gill sans also has this issue.