You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to - reliably - move images inside of a frame

I am pretty sure that this is 100% cockpit error, but I've done my due diligence with Google and Help...

When I create a picture frame and then drop an image into it, I usually (nearly always, but not always) have the opportunity to resize or move the image within the frame. There is an icon somewhere on the screen that looks like a Play button, a slider, and some other stuff. How do I get this control back once I've left the picture frame? I know that occasionally I can stumble around and get it to appear. But most times I can't figure out how to get it back.

This has dogged me since 1.7.0.58, and I'm now on .162 - and while I'm on a Mac, as I said, I suspect that this is user error...

Have you tried clicking on the frame with the picture frame tool?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

That kind of does what I want. It does allow me to move the image around. However, I'm a bit surprised that it doesn't bring up that little control set. Seems like clicking on the frame should do that?

Selecting a filled Picture Frame, while having the Picture Frame tool active, seems to reliably show that control for me. Note that I'm on Windows, in case that makes a difference.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Have you tried clicking on the frame with the picture frame tool?    

Except when you have copied and pasted the image.   I have an image, I then copied and pasted ths image 3 times onto the same page.  Now when I selected the original image and then selected the picture frame tool, I was able to move that image around within the frame, great.  but applying the same technique to the subsequent images that were pasted from the original copied image does not work, all that happens is that you end up creating a new picture frame on top of the image that you were trying to move.  I must admit that after a couple of months of using all the image and picture frame and placing and manipulating and frame sizing and moving, Publisher has made dealing with imported images an extremely overly complex affair, I am still trying to grapple with all this, the whole process is as unpredictable as the Irish weather. 

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

• Staff

Hi Chris26,
You need to pay attention to what you are selecting/copy. One thing is to select and copy the picture frame with the image within (the picture frame appears highlighted in the Layers panel in this case): this will paste both the picture frame and the image exactly as the original structure.

Another one is to copy the image that's within the picture frame (the image layer is highlighted in the Layers panel) - this will only paste the image as an individual layer (without being nested to a picture frame).

Ok now that certainly helps to understand and explains a lot.  Thankyou MEB.  

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

Feature request please. I can see that you can position an image in a picture frame using the Transform panel. These coordinates are relative to the document, can we have them relative to an picture frame instead (or an option to toggle between the two). Relative positioning makes placing image on the page much simpler and accurate. Also when you place an image using the place image tool, and crop using the vector crop tool as you can in Designer and Photo, you don't have the option to refine the image crop using the Transform panel.

Also, having the content scaling up / down in proportion with the picture frame is a must. I found the picture frame properties, with the option to scale to max fit, however this doesn't give you the ability to further scale the image within the frame and then scale the picture frame up or down.

The screen grab shows what I mean. Using this circular picture frame I'd have to keep the picture frame that size, if I scale it the image stays the same size.

Thanks

Screen Shot 2018-11-14 at 11.49.15.png

Edited by 3Dshark
Adding to the post