You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

EPS Files increase in size when opened in designer

Hi

When I open an eps file size about 2mb file it seems to be increasing to about 37mb in designer, when saved as an afdesigner file even though the image at 100% is  less than 20x20cm on screen. When exported as an svg it becomes nearly 67mb. These make the files very slow to work on.

I have not worked with eps files before so not sure if I need to do something to bring them down in size when opening. Any help greatly appreciated. The file is from freepik.com 

6423.eps

Alan Pickup

Windows 11 Home all Affinity suite of Apps PC and Gigabyte Laptop 16gb Ram and Nvidia GTX1660 Super on each.

The file looks like it was made in a 3D app and then exported to various formats, one being an eps file, this means there is going to be hundreds of layers by the look. I'm only guessing but I doubt this would help the file size when importing and exporting.
34663201_ScreenShot1.png.1f29981fdfbfbcc5ec22651213a3453b.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Thanks for that. now the I have looked at the layer groupings I can see what you mean, all though I do not understand the data logic for the size increase between formats.

Alan Pickup

Windows 11 Home all Affinity suite of Apps PC and Gigabyte Laptop 16gb Ram and Nvidia GTX1660 Super on each.

I've just opened this file up in Illustrator CC and it shows Mesh layers so now I'm thinking its been created in Illustrator and its Affinity that can't handle the import, I've just exported the eps again from Illustrator and it comes out at roughly 3.3MB Affinity still imports it with all of those layer though.

1602021071_ScreenShot2.png.fe533138455ea24c9106a4116fa7b1c9.png

Illustrator has a fraction of the layers shown by Affinity Designer.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Exporting as an SVG gets you a mish mash of pixelated images and vector shapes; not pretty.

1672737696_ScreenShot2.png.59505e6b0798eb6dc24e12956b992c93.png

Exporting as a PDF looks ok on the thumbnail but on importing, Affinity colours all the gradients black. The same with an .ai file which stands to reason as Affinity uses the PDF portion of the file.

1523324292_ScreenShot1.png.ba77335233b166eace10538d3db42877.png

Until such time as Affinity applications support meshes, they will always be broken down into the separate parts to approximate the mesh gradients. Even when Affinity products can handle mesh fills, it still may not handle an AI file with them.

The reason the eps can open in AI with the mesh fills intact is because it contains the original AI data. A saved AI version without the embedded PDF is 256k.

You could try doing some shading of your own with this file.

6423-illyexport.pdf

Thanks everyone for the explanations, fortunately in this case is was not too complicated that my system could  not handle it, all be it slowly, and I could manage the alterations to customise  and an exported png was sufficient for my final needs. But it is good to know the reasoning so that I can be aware of the complications eps files can present.

Alan Pickup