You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Filling in bounded space with patterns

You will need closed paths/curves for vectors in order to fill those, see how @dutchshader did it by reusing symbols here. He already made an kaleidoscope AD example file.

EDIT

How it looks when I apply instead your above moire pattern to what @dutchshader showed above. I used the style file I've posted before for filling his symbols here...

kaleido_moire.jpg.a161de4b29d29a612afc0fbf59fb8326.jpg

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

While I appreciate the use of symbols, this approach does not seem to applicable here. I think I confused things by giving a design which gave the impression that I will just be doing repetitive modules or that I want similarity in the various modules.

I have made another image which is a bit less repetitive. I plan to use various parts of the bitmapped image to fill in the blanks in the vector file.

Image Fill Test-2.svg

Moire-1 Kaleidoscope-2.png

Hello, again,

The file you posted shows it is an embedded document. Those are not directly editable. As the help file mentions, the layer needs to be double clicked. At that point, you will be presented w. layers for each curves object. You can select one of those, and pick whatever bit map fill you like.

FilledVectors.jpg.10c419ff30d0c778e58e5ef5de0cf772.jpg

Your base question is how to fill a bounded space. And, in the context of your question, it is filling a specific pre-existing shape, as opposed to an arbitrary area with shapes already in it.

The standard ways are to gather pixels that have the same or similar color values, OR, those areas within a vector perimeter. Methods are completely dependent on which kind of shape, bitmap or vector, are in use. If you want to select pixels, the file must be a raster/bitmap image. In your most recent example, each elements of the elongated ellipse vector ring may be chosen as described above.

In my attached image, I set the stroke to none, and just left the fill on the curves ellipses in the file.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Yes, you got it. Whatever happened to the magic wand? I thought I would be able to use it to click click on an area to select the area. Then with the area enclosed selected import an image into the selected spot, then manipulate the imported image as a layer.

Is that not a thing?

25 minutes ago, Uvinnie said:

Yes, you got it. Whatever happened to the magic wand? I thought I would be able to use it to click click on an area to select the area. Then with the area enclosed selected import an image into the selected spot, then manipulate the imported image as a layer.

Is that not a thing?

That was demonstrated to you several times by gdenby and others on the first page but it only works on bitmap images. In the case of your artwork, the Magic Wand (aka Flood Select Tool) selects pixels of the same colour, so will only work on bitmap images (like a PNG) because a bitmap image of your artwork is black pixels filled with white pixels.

A vector shape is not filled with anything, it is an outline with a transparent fill, allowing the paper to show through. Therefore the Flood Select Tool has nothing to select.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Those solutions did not work for me. Perhaps I am missing something that it is assumed I know, but somehow it is not working for me. 

For exampleI converter an image to jpg. It is on on layer. I selected the flood select tool. It will not select any thing. Other suggestion just caused the program to crash.

Thanks much for your time and effort.