You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Filling in bounded space with patterns

Hello Uvinnie,

If I have understood your question correctly, you can fill in a shape by inserting the pattern or clipping it in.

In my example, the large rectangle and ellipse are filled with vector patterns that I created and placed in the assets.

The pattern of the rectangle has been clipped, the one of the ellipse inserted inside.

As for the small rectangle, it is filled with a style (bitmap pattern).

Remplissage.png

Hi, Uvinnie.

One may make a repeated pattern by inserting a bitmap type fill. That allows whatever pixel image to be placed into a rectangular array of whatever size one likes. Vector object groups can be power duplicated, and nested within parent objects. If using Designer, the grouped objects can be made a symbol, and those nested within shapes. Symbols are nice because as long as they are in sync, every instance will change when any single element is altered, i.e. a symbol w. a red triangle and a blue rectangle can be altered toa pink triangle and an aqua rectangle, and the forms of those changed.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

I was probably lacking in clarity so please allow me to rephrase my question.

I have created various moiré patterns. I want to place those various patterns within various boundaries such as those seen in this image. I would like to do it in the most efficient way possible. What would the be?

Is there away to just "fill" in those patterns? Is there a way to "brush" those patterns in?

Kaleidoscope Test Pattern.jpg

Good evening, uvinnie,

I hope I understood your question correctly this time.

Once you have created your pattern, export it to PNG format. Place the png in a Designer document and make it a style: convert it into curves, select the studio's "Styles" tab and click on the hamburger to the right of the tabs. Choose "Add Style from Selection", the style is created in the category that is open (or create a new category).

To apply the style, select the shape to be filled, click on the "Fill Tool" (G). In the context bar, click on the padlock button if you want to keep the proportions and choose "Wrap" to repeat the pattern. Use the handles to adjust the pattern diffusion or inclination.

Patterns.gif

Hello, again,

Or do you mean something like this?

FillAnArea.thumb.jpg.1465778075194065e6e459a3632bd72c.jpg

If so, in A-Photo, use the flood select tool on a white space. Turn on the add switch if you want to choose other areas. With the area(s) selected, use the gradient tool, and choose bitmap as the type of fill. Select your moire pattern from wherever it is in the file system.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

Huion WH1409 tablet

Unfortunately I still haven't been as clear as needed or I am not understanding your answer.

Let's say I want to fillI in one circle in the image below, which I have converted into a png file, with a "texture" which I have created. How would I do that?

Kaleidoscope Test Pattern.png

Moire-test texture-1.png

AFAI understand you here (?) and assuming Designer ...

Make styles out of your saved PNG file moiré patterns.

If you have build up the kaleidoscope test pattern from vector objects, then select one of these and apply the wanted moiré style...

• style.jpg.9229664bf7ec8393b10ddfd6febfabae.jpg

If the kaleidoscope test pattern is instead a bitmap see what @gdenby suggested.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

3 hours ago, gdenby said:

Hello, again,

Or do you mean something like this?

FillAnArea.thumb.jpg.1465778075194065e6e459a3632bd72c.jpg

If so, in A-Photo, use the flood select tool on a white space. Turn on the add switch if you want to choose other areas. With the area(s) selected, use the gradient tool, and choose bitmap as the type of fill. Select your moire pattern from wherever it is in the file system.

Yes. That is what I meant.  

I don't have a flood select tool. When I select the flood fill tool I don't see a way that leads to selecting a file to flood with. Can you help me with that?

7 hours ago, Uvinnie said:

I don't have a flood select tool.

Are you using Affinity Photo or Affinity Designer? Only Photo has a Flood Select Tool, which looks like a magic wand.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Quote:

Ah, I see you are using Designer, not Photo. While I can think of ways you might be able to do this in Designer using just bitmaps, it would be very tedious.

Designer has limited ways of dealing w. bit-map/pixel objects.

Here's my suggestion. Take the pattern you want to fill, and use an invert adjustment on it. Export a top quality .jpg from that, and send it to a free online image vectorizing service. There are several. Have a .svg file made from that, and open it in Designer.

You will get a layer with about 260 separate objects. Each of those can then have a bitmap placed inside it using the fill tool. Or you can select individual ones, and do a geometric add, so the bitmap can be nested across/within the new objects.

For example:

Nesting.jpg.f67afe399115c1e4b5126da50bebe660.jpg

Huion WH1409 tablet

but if you created this pattern you would have a vector version of it.

in that case use the fill tool and set it to bitmap.

bitmap.png.22ff8d302d6d892f4199a533c6307d4b.png

i did this one using symbols.

1416936498_KaleidoscopeTestPattern.thumb.png.c94a107073900d385aba3303ab401b4f.png

a quick made example:

KaleidoscopeTestPattern.afdesign

intel core i5,  16GB 128Gb ssd win10 Pro Huion new 1060plus.

philips 272p 2560x1440px on intel HD2500 onboard graphics

Razer Tartarus Chroma

28 minutes ago, Uvinnie said:

Thanks. Now how do I fill the selection with my own selection? The video did not cover that. :)

There are probably many ways which leed to Rome, but for Affinity Photo once you have the selection, you can use the gradient tool and load with that a bitmap of your moire (your moire PNG file) and place and adjust the moire contents as a fill and size it accordingly to your needs.

gradient_filling.jpg.f60ec6c74b8b20a473b7a0d36a51536a.jpg

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

27 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

There are probably many ways which leed to Rome, but for Affinity Photo once you have the selection, you can use the gradient tool and load with that a bitmap of your moire (your moire PNG file) and place and adjust the moire contents as a fill and size it accordingly to your needs.

gradient_filling.jpg.f60ec6c74b8b20a473b7a0d36a51536a.jpg

Thanks. That worked, sort of. It there a way to make adjustments later on in the project. This approach does not seem to make layers that usually keep things separrate and allow for tweaking later.

57 minutes ago, Uvinnie said:

...It there a way to make adjustments later on in the project. This approach does not seem to make layers that usually keep things separrate and allow for tweaking later.

For that working with vectors (using Designer) instead of an bitmap for the kaleidoscope image would be better. So if you recreate the kaleidoscope image as a vector drawing with objects and curves in Affinity Designer (tracing as vectors with a tool, or retrace by hand) you can then fill the objects with your different PNG moire patterns bitmaps via styles. As I've shown in the first posting above. - That should offer a greater flexibility and reusability for later tweaks and the like.

When I try that AD just crashes.

I converted an image [Image Fill Test] to vector.

Imported that vector file into AD

I selected the fill tool but it would not select inside any of the spaces.

I chose styles but also did not allow me to drop anything into a section.

Other attempts, like choosing a bitmap to fill in AD, resulted in multiple crashes.

Ideally I would like to select a section in any image and drop an image there. 

Image Fill Test.afdesign