You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

iPad accidental input 100% solved - software engineers not required. (Also polishes screen)

I’ve been trying out the iPad vs of AFP (I moved away from AFP Mac 15months ago, due to its numerous masking issues ... still unresolved).  However, having to work on some legacy files in the last week or two, I thought I’d give the iPad vs a go.  I’d bought, but never used it. I have the 12.9 Pro and Apple Pencil.

However!  Using the Apple Pencil, I’ve found it really hard to avoid accidental input on the iPad and it can be a nightmare for messing up work.  The problem is that your ‘pinky’ can be inputting without you noticing, or even I think, the side of the palm.  I’ve even seen it happening in some of the Affinity instructional videos. So ... being old enough to recall darkrooms and the handling of negs and trannies, I happen to have some white cotton gloves lying around. The perfect solution?  Not only does it work perfectly, but you have the added bonus of constantly polishing your screen!!

Cost? ~2€.  No complicated programming or software revisions required, only a pair of sharp scissors.  Machine washable.  Good for cold winter days.  Eco-friendly.  ‘It just works’.   Maybe Serif could do their own cool designs?  Michael Jackson eat your heart out:

19573205-45F6-4C81-B02A-5E41AD1F706C.jpeg

2F361156-0835-4119-9D6A-9EA216B6BE9A.jpeg

Grumpy, but faithful (watch out all you cats)

My iPad isn’t compatible with Apple Pencil, so perhaps I should look around for a pair of cotton gloves — colour immaterial, I suspect! However, switching on ‘Touch for gestures only’ (under ‘Preferences > Tools’) should work for you, apart from lacking the screen-polishing function.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

And there I was thinking that the cross between Michael Jackson and Fagin look was so appealing.  So why is this even an option??   I have to say though, that after almost 25 years working with a Wacom, it’s kind of strange to be working directly on the screen.  Difficult without a circle showing where the brush is though.

Grumpy, but faithful (watch out all you cats)

1 hour ago, GFS said:

So why is this even an option??

It’s needed for those of us who don’t have an Apple Pencil.

Difficult without a circle showing where the brush is though.

‘Preferences > General > Show touches’ may help a little. (Don’t ask me why that option isn’t enabled by default!)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)