You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

renaming brush pack (Mac)

18 hours ago, DuctTape said:

You can't rename a user-created brush pack using Mac finder. 

Yes I can. Unless I misunderstand what 'brush pack' means.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

It as easy as clicking on the .afbrushes file and typing a new name.

As an after thought I wonder if they mean, when the file is imported into Affinity the original name is applied to the brush category. 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

11 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

As an after thought I wonder if they mean, when the file is imported into Affinity the original name is applied to the brush category.

I think that’s exactly what the OP means! The brush category name is an integral part of the imported definition, so expecting a change of file name to result in a change of category name is a bit like expecting your cat to turn into a dog if you change his name to ‘Fido’.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, firstdefence said:

αℓƒяє∂I was expecting a more intelligent answer than what you chose to add. 
"so expecting a change of file name to result in a change of category name is a bit like expecting your cat to turn into a dog if you change his name to ‘Fido’."

I thought it was quite funny, if you can't have a laugh what's the point. Professionalism isn't devoid of humour and nor is Intelligence.

Anyway, is my assumption what you actually mean?

If not, can you explain in more detail, if yes, then your option is to rename the brush category to the name you want the filename to be and then export it again.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

On 11/11/2018 at 5:15 AM, DuctTape said:

You can't rename a user-created brush pack using Mac finder. 

Sure you can. But as @αℓƒяє∂ explained, that won't change the name of any brush category (or any other named item) in the file.

How could it? There could be dozens or hundreds of named items in a file, so it is a bit much to expect Finder to know which of them to apply the file name to.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

8 hours ago, R C-R said:

There could be dozens or hundreds of named items in a file, so it is a bit much to expect Finder to know which of them to apply the file name to.

If that was the case then anything created could not be renamed There could be dozens or hundreds of named items and layers in a file.  I am not trying to change the file extension from .afbrushes to .alfred.  

55 minutes ago, DuctTape said:

There could be dozens or hundreds of named items and layers in a file.

Which is why to edit named items in a file it must first be opened by an application that can access those names. That can't be done in Finder because the only things it can open are file system containers like folders & drives, but not the individual files they contain.

1 hour ago, DuctTape said:

I am not trying to change the file extension from .afbrushes to .alfred.  

But you have not yet made it clear what you are trying to change. If it is the file name, you can do that in Finder. If it is any named item in the file, then you can do that in a suitable application like Affinity Designer or Photo.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

22 hours ago, R C-R said:

But you have not yet made it clear what you are trying to change. If it is the file name, you can do that in Finder. If it is any named item in the file, then you can do that in a suitable application like Affinity Designer or Photo.

Renaming brush pack from XXXX.afbrushes to OOOO.afbrushes

I never ever said, that I was trying to change a named item inside the file. 

Don't make me use the four-letter word............. F I L E...........  you happy now I used it.

So what do you call renaming a brush pack? 

31 minutes ago, DuctTape said:

Renaming brush pack from XXXX.afbrushes to OOOO.afbrushes

If by "brush pack" you mean an .afbrushes file, you can do that from Finder in the usual way.

If you mean the the name of a brushes category, you can do that inside the Affinity app.

Affinity Photo 

The question was about renaming a BRUSH PACK, I did not say one thing about a category. You all would like to have the right answer but you all failed,  Not one of you (or mod) mentioned about restarting the program once the "Brush Pack" was renamed in finder. I know the file(BRUSH PACK) can be renamed in finder, I know that the contents of the BRUSH PACK can only be edited by the program. Notice I said BRUSH PACK and not CATEGORY that was the other posters who added the category to the question. 

Thanks for trying help though, have a blessed day or evening.

Glad you got it sorted.

The question was about renaming a BRUSH PACK, I did not say one thing about a category.

But you did say "Renaming brush pack from XXXX.afbrushes to OOOO.afbrushes." The "XXXX" & "OOOO" are just file names, & you most certainly can change their names in Finder. "Brush pack" is neither a file nor category name, just an informal way of referring to an .afbrushes file & its contents.

Not one of you (or mod) mentioned about restarting the program once the "Brush Pack" was renamed in finder.

Why should we? That has nothing to do with the names of brushes or categories imported into an Affinity app. 

Affinity Photo