You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to align letter next to each other properly (not top/bottom)?

Thanks to all of you in this great forum, I'm moving along with my t-shirt designs. Really grateful.

So let's say I'm doing a single word for the design. I know how to align the top and bottom and arrange as well. But how do I ensure there is equal space between the letters? I've just been eyeballing it and I'm sure there is a better way that is as precise as using toolbars for the top and bottom. But I couldn't find anything when I searched.

Thanks,

Susan

See: Character formatting and Character panel

9. Text

•        Artistic, Frame and Shape Text

•        Text on a Path: Overview

•        Text on a Path: Worked Example

•        OpenType Typography

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Thanks. I'm not sure this is what I need. I did use the Artist shape tool and understand how to work with it and convert to curves, etc. I am typing on a straight line, but my question is about spacing between letters. For instance, if I am typing the word "dog" as three different letters of artistic text, not one single piece, then I need to align the "d" next to the "o" next to the "g."

I'll look further at your suggested links though. I appreciate the help.

Susan

20 minutes ago, HealingDoodle said:

spacing between letters

Kerning?

https://affinity.help/designer/English.lproj/pages/Panels/characterPanel.html

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

2 hours ago, HVDB Photography said:

Select all the layers
Click on Alignment
Choose Space horizontally

It's worth adding to that by saying if you turn off Auto Distribute, you can drag the slider to control the spacing between the letters dynamically.

align.jpg.f1b42837cc90d7bfb9d1a9b2ec5ad0bf.jpg

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.