You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Save cmd in Document window

iPad Affinity Photo: Along with the Persona selections at the top of the screen is the Document tab. In that drop down window is the Save command. What does that do? I can’t find a file saved anywhere (on my iPad, iCloud, etc.) after I press it. My guess is that it just saves the current state of the document being edited (as .afphoto), as if I exited the document to go back to the Home screen, saving the round trip from the document to Home and back to the document just to save my edits as I work? Is this what’s going on or have I missed something?

2 hours ago, G-Ramps said:

iPad Affinity Photo: Along with the Persona selections at the top of the screen is the Document tab. In that drop down window is the Save command. What does that do? I can’t find a file saved anywhere (on my iPad, iCloud, etc.) after I press it. My guess is that it just saves the current state of the document being edited (as .afphoto), as if I exited the document to go back to the Home screen, saving the round trip from the document to Home and back to the document just to save my edits as I work? Is this what’s going on or have I missed something?

As far as I know it just saves it to the home screen which is done automatically anyway when you go to it.

As you suggest, it save the current state. I suppose it's just like pressing Save on a typical PC. It's a good idea to do it from time to time, just in case the App crashes and you lose your data.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Thanks toltec. I am just trying to totally understand the files get/save/import/export/copy/local storage/cloud/etc. flow. Just one more piece to the puzzle. (Sorry for the initial post in gigantic font, it was what defaulted when I created the question!)

12 hours ago, G-Ramps said:

Document tab. In that drop down window is the Save command. 

It is actually a 'Save a Copy' Command. It will save a xxxxx.afphoto copy of your current open file. The location is dependent on the default save location you have set in Settings. Mine is set to Local iPad and the Save Copy Command allows me to name the file copy and opens Files allowing me to save wherever I like.

The Affinity Photo Project Files (.afphoto) are stored in the apps sandbox until such time as you Save (from the Projects screen three bar menu). At that time a copy of the file is saved to the default storage location. Deleting from Project screen simply deletes the Sandbox copy not the saved copy.

Edits made in Photo are saved every few minutes (number of seconds interval is set in Settings) and are saved to the sandbox only 

After Saving, you now have a copy in default storage (that you can see and move) and a 'working' copy in the sandbox that only Photo can access. Whatever edits you make are made to the sandbox copy and saved in sandbox.

At one stage Open from Cloud worked, meaning you could open a file stored anywhere, rather than import, and the changes were made to the sandbox copy and automatically saved to the open copy file location. This stopped working for me many moons ago and has not been fixed. It may or may not still be working with iCloud. I was using it with Dropbox but it no longer saves as it should.

Importing from Cloud simply means the file is treated as a new file in Projects. Nothing will be changed in the original storage location when the imported file is edited in Photo. Handy if you want to keep a backup.

Export is Photos way of creating a file that is useable in other apps. Take an afphoto file and convert it to JPEG, PNG, PDF etc etc. save it wherever or print it.

Explained in more detail here in Help file.

A31448A8-8B4D-400F-9661-5FD37F0088F5.png

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

6 hours ago, DM1 said:

It is actually a 'Save a Copy' Command.

No. We are talking about this

save.jpg.89c4e6116d2c23a715c66183ad839a0b.jpg

which appears if you 'Open' a file, rather than 'Import' a file.

Not the same thing as 'Save a Copy'.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Exactly toltec, thanks for clearing up that confusion. I understood the Save As as described in the Help section. That section and a search of other areas in Help failed to describe the action of the Save command, thus the original post. 

20 hours ago, toltec said:

which appears if you 'Open' a file, rather than 'Import' a file.

I learn something new every day :D That's the first time I have seen that. Thanks.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

On 11/11/2018 at 4:06 PM, DM1 said:

At one stage Open from Cloud worked, meaning you could open a file stored anywhere, rather than import, and the changes were made to the sandbox copy and automatically saved to the open copy file location. This stopped working for me many moons ago and has not been fixed. It may or may not still be working with iCloud. I was using it with Dropbox but it no longer saves as it should.

I have tried this again and the Open from Cloud, edit and then Save from drop down menu results in the edits being saved back to the original location (same file). This works on iCloud and locally, but still doesn't work with Dropbox files.