ladlon

Sudden terrible performance after certain action

Hi.  It's hard to tell what is actually triggering this, but I figured I'd mention it here...

I am running Affinity Designer/Photo on a Win7 Pro i7 machine with 32 gigs of RAM.

In Photo, I notice that seemingly a certain series of actions causes the performance to completely tank...  The mouse/pen pointer stutters terribly, as if the CPU were being seriously strained.  As well, even though I can switch tools (via keyboard shortcuts or struggling to move the pointer to the icons), the pointer stays as the previous tool.

So, as far as the aparent trigger...  It SEEMS it may be having the text tool, and then revealing the brushes palette.  Definitely seems related to the display (or perhaps moving location) of the brush palette.  The text thing may be consequential.  But as soon as I have the brush palette (move?), the serious stuttering happens, and can't seem to be resolved with ESC hits, or tool changes or anything.

In fact, the issue remains even after exiting Photo, with the Windows pointer remaining as a text tool,  and the terrible stuttering continuing.

CPU is not getting strained at all, nor are any other factors (drive access, RAM, etc) showing any aparent signs of strain.  I have to reboot the machine to restore it.

But, before/after that, performance is great.

I'll see if I can verify/isolate the trigger, but so far, it seems related to the (default) brush palette.  I'm not sure if it's from moving its location, or from it simply being on display.

I figured I'd report this as a  potential bug, and see if anyone else has had a similar issue (or has any ideas on what it may be, or what I could test).

I'll keep you posted as I discover things.

UPDATE: I rebooted again, and verified that (so far) the simple displaying of the brush palette itself is not (seemingly) a trigger...  I'll have to test some more, but right now, I suspect that the moving of the palette (ex. from one tab group to another) triggers it.

Hi ladlon :)

Thanks for your report, I've tried to replicate this issue following your workflow and so far I'm unable to duplicate this issue. Please see my video below, am I missing something in your workflow causing this lag? Are you using a custom installed font, or a default one?

Could you please try resetting your Affinity Photo app for me? This may fix the issue.

You can reset your app back to its default settings by holding down the CTRL key while launching the app. When the Clear User Data window appears, click Select All and then Clear. The app will now open.

Be aware that resetting your app back to its default settings will lose any custom settings such as keyboard shortcuts and brushes etc. To backup such settings before resetting the app, please watch our Affinity - Exporting User Settings and Keyboard Shortcuts video.

Hi.  Thanks for trying that out.  Yes, you did all the stuff that I THINK were the triggers.  One factor that may be important, is that at the time, I was working on a 8.5x11 inch 300dpi project with many (30-40) layers.  But, it didn't seem like THAT was straining it, as it was operating just fine before and after the stuttering triggered.

It's really hard to say if it's Affinity or a system issue.  The only reason I even suspected Affinity was that it seemed to trigger during the same/similar action (involving the brush menu).

It's been running fine since then.  When I have a moment, I'll try moving the brush palette again, and see if it triggers.  It's not just the display of the palette, but seemingly if you try and move it, at least from my last two experiences with it.

That same day, I had an alarming thing happen as well, where the entire (Windows) screen suddenly filled with random blocks of colours and (seemingly) graphics... which seems more like a hardware or memory (or video display) thing.  A reboot fixed that.  If that even was Affinity-based, I'd imagine it was only because Affinity pushed the RAM too hard or something (although I have 32 gigs on that machine).  Can anyone tell me what that typically means (Windows desktop/display fills with randome multicolour blocks).  I couldn't do a screen grab, as the system was hard to navigate in that state.

So far, it seem like it was an isolated incident, although I did manage to get it to happen twice (with the same action).  I'll look into it further, and try and trigger it again, when I have time.  I will try with and without that project.  Seems almost like a memory leak or memory issue.

Thanks for confirming that, could you possibly provide me a copy of the file also, so I can test with the same file open? This can be uploaded to the below link-

https://www.dropbox.com/request/Uaj7Z5I85KNeYR7IQJ5m

Please do let me know how your testing goes as I'm still unable to replicate this unfortunately!

In terms of artifacting on your display, in my experience this is usually hardware or driver related to your graphics card. I have seen similar described 'blocks of colour' on a Windows machine before with an old Nvidia graphics card that was overheating, and again on a different system when the card was being stress tested. In the latter example, uninstalling all Nvidia drivers and re-installing them fixed the issue, however it may be hardware related so your results may vary. I'd recommend running a stress and health test on your hardware when possible, as well as updating/reinstalling your graphics drivers :) 

Ya, my guess is overheating or something like that.  Didn't happen during the stuttering issue, but was on the same day, so maybe the system was having a bad day overall.

If I remember right, there was no CPU or RAM strain (based on System Explorer) during the stuttering.  The system/Affinity Photo was running just fine, and then (I believe) after moving the brush palette, the mouse would stick... holding in one position (despite hand movement), then snapping to a distant location, running (with low fps) for a second or two, then sticking again.  Keyboard shortcuts didn't seem to switch the tool pointer (although I THINK the new tool did activate).

As I mentioned, the weirdest thing was when I exited Affinity, and the (Windows) mouse pointer remained as an Affinity text tool!  (...and the stuttering continued).  So, maybe it was a Windows thing, but triggered by an action within Affinity.

I'll get back to you with any info I find...  Thanks!

Ran into this issue again.  Originally, I thought it had something to do with the Brushes palette being visible (as if the display of the stroke previews was straining the CPU)... but, now I'm more inclined to think it has something to do with moving palettes overall.  That seems to be what triggered it this time (not specifically the Brushes palette).

I move a palette, and suddenly ALL of Windows becomes very unstable until I reboot the system.  The mouse cursor doesn't seem to be able to reach all areas of the desktop/screen, the pointer tends to disappear, system frame rate tanks randomly.

I'm sorry to hear this ladlon! Could you please try and capture this issue with a screen recording?  Without being able to replicate or see the issue, I'm a little unsure of what to suggest currently.

I'll see what I can do... it happens rarerly... although if my theory about moving palettes is correct, I may be able to trigger it.

I imagine I'd have to use an external (iTouch) device to record it, since the issue completely buggers up Windows, and I would not be able to stop/save the recording, as a system reboot is needed each time.