You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pen Tool unable to add new point near previous point

I am using iPad Pro 9.7. 

In using Pen Tool, when the new point I try to add is in close proximity to the previous, I get a contextual menu of Select-Copy-Paste-Delete. Sometimes the app just simply refuse to add the point. Sometimes a magnifier-like circle comes up. What’s happening?

Hi, James Quek,

Are you using the pen tool to add more nodes to an existing pen stroke? Or are you trying to start a new line?

If the 1st, switch to the node tool, and tap where you want on the existing line. If you are starting a new line, the problem may be that if the pen is in "pen" mode, a tap wont work. The pen point must be dragged slightly. A sing tap goes back to the move/select tool, which would select any nearby line. If the pen is in polygon mode (my preference), one can make a series of taps. The, w. the node tool active, select those I might want to turn to curves.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

You should only get that context menu when you long-press, which I suspect you’re accidentally doing when aiming for precise placement of a new node close to the previous one. Try zooming in before adding the node.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I've mentioned elsewhere that I have fairly severe arthritis in my hand, and will add that I wear 400+ magnifying glasses. I really am not having this problem. See attached.

The grid, snapping ff, is for a size reference, and is 16 pt. One shot shows a group of lines drawn both by finger touch and Apple pencil point. I only once ended up getting a selection dialogue pop onto the screen, and that was because I held the pencil point down too long.

1059779658_penstroke0.thumb.jpeg.d54f4169363c3c5dccbb20d514d7b094.jpeg

After zooming way in, shown in the next image, I was able to place .5 pt lines almost right on top of each other, and didn't cause a selection once.

1363466453_penstroke01.thumb.jpeg.2920128bee97ad2a58c5614038ad0372.jpeg

So I'm not seeing a bug.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet