You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is the size of font in UI, particularly rulers, adjustable?

I'm working in Designer (Win), but I imagine this applies across the Affinity products. I'm old, but not too old. My eyesight is getting worse. Other than using a magnifier, or changing the screen resolution, is there a way to change the user interface font size, especially for the ruler?

Dark or Light UI settings makes a difference, but not enough since I can't control the hues or intensity of the bars. Granted, I know what measurement I set them for, but it would be nice actually to read the marks. Also, the screen is always at it's most crisp when set to native rez. My eyes are fuzzy enough.

I want to think that the designers of "design" products actually thought about this.

Your time is appreciated.

There is the Large size in the Preferences pane for User Interface, it is a 'bit' better. I also would like the fonts across the whole operating system to be larger and more legible. It can't be my age... well okay that's most of it [sigh emoticon]

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

15 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

There is the Large size in the Preferences pane for User Interface, it is a 'bit' better. I also would like the fonts across the whole operating system to be larger and more legible. It can't be my age... well okay that's most of it [sigh emoticon]

I think that Preference is only for MacOS, not for Windows.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 11 months later...

FIRST (and always) THANK YOU FOR FREEING US FROM ADOBE.

And, now... 

Oh man, the text is small and the RULER TEXT is ABSURDLY TINY (like 6px) on WIndows 10 Affinity Photo version 1.7.x.

Same thing when you drag a guide and the cute little microbe sized element appears with the teeny, tiny, itty, bitty pixel size displayed as you drag.

And I've been through all the preferences and found no way to make it larger.

I zoom in to set finite guide locations and, while the image zooms large, the ruler text is so tiny I have to put my face to the monitor and squint to see it.

Ridiculous. Please give Windows users a way to adjust the teeny, tiny, itty, bitty little, microscopic ruler text.

Thank you for your consideration.

Chris

• 1 year later...

Hello dear Serif Friends,

I no likey the BIG FONT RULERS that seem out of proportion.. Am I having a glitch or is my Windows doing this? I have scaling to 100% and the recommended 4K resolution of my monitor.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Best Regards,

Arkitectonics

Screenshot 2021-05-24 003859.jpg

6 hours ago, ARKITECTONICS said:

Am I having a glitch or is my Windows doing this? I have scaling to 100% and the recommended 4K resolution of my monitor.

Your rulers are definitely displaying oddly, but I have no idea why.

Does it continue to happen if you close Designer and restart it? Does it happen with other documents?

How long have you been using Designer and how long has this been happening?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

... restart ADe and restart Win? (the remnant of change scaling, when the application/OS did not set up correctly)
Do you have other Affinity apps, and does it show up there anyway? Try the trial version as well.
Alternatively, I would try Factory reset (start the application with Ctrl pressed).

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

4 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Your rulers are definitely displaying oddly, but I have no idea why.

Does it continue to happen if you close Designer and restart it? Does it happen with other documents?

How long have you been using Designer and how long has this been happening?

I was working on my computer for a long time - 18/20 hours straight with lots of apps open simultaneously. It only happened yesterday. Today everything looks fine again. 

@Pšenda - Resetting my computer fixed things isn't windows fun! it's like a toaster that sometimes burns your toast or doesn't at all regardless of how you think you know it will toast!! you just need to keep trying and monitoring closely for burn fumes. 

It was also lagging and difficult to select multiple lines at the time so maybe my computer just ran out of its wits at the time.

I only checked designer but I have the trio. Will update if it happens again with different or the same software and be conscious of what file I'm using.

Thanks folks!

3 hours ago, Pšenda said:

... restart ADe and restart Win? (the remnant of change scaling, when the application/OS did not set up correctly)
Do you have other Affinity apps, and does it show up there anyway? Try the trial version as well.
Alternatively, I would try Factory reset (start the application with Ctrl pressed).

• 1 month later...

Back to the original question - I am also using Win10 with a 4K monitor with Photo and my eyesight isn't what it used to be.  The icons and text on the monitor, while clear and sharp are minuscule and difficult to read at times.  Any thought of adding some settings in preferences that would allow a user to increase font and/or icon size?

Thanks for an incredible alternative to Adobe!

2 hours ago, josec41 said:

increase font and/or icon size?

Try search this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=UI+Scaling+site%3Aforum.affinity.serif.com

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.