You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Moving knots on lines very difficult

When I want to move knots on the lines (those little points, sometimes with handles) I have to pull them a quite long distance until they move at all. It is impossible to move them only a few millimeters. Is that normal? I can’t refine lines with such rough movements.

Steffen

Hi, Pukeko,

You didn't say if you were using Photo or Designer, but I'm supposing it is Designer. I have very clumsy, old arthritic hands, and I have few problems moving the nodes, tho' for adjusting the handles, I usually need to use the pencil. So, my experience is not like yours.

Do you have snapping turned on? That can force the nodes to move only to snapping points, such as the grid.

Also, if you have a node selected, you can enter the precise position you want through the transform studio.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

I didn’t mention because I posted in the Designer forum. Sorry for that.

I use the pencil but I have to move the pencil several millimeters away from the dot until the dot follows with a sudden jump. No grid and no snapping is activated. When the dot follows the pencil finally the movement is very precise, though. The problem is the beginning of the movement. I could make a short screencast movie of the issue if it is allowed to post it here.

1 hour ago, Pukeko said:

I use the pencil but I have to move the pencil several millimeters away from the dot until the dot follows with a sudden jump. No grid and no snapping is activated. When the dot follows the pencil finally the movement is very precise, though. The problem is the beginning of the movement. I could make a short screencast movie of the issue if it is allowed to post it here.

Lots of people post screencasts. I just spent some time moving nodes, and there does seem to be a very slight lag between tapping the node and the node position changing, but it is a fraction of a second. But that made me recall a situation I ran into a few times. I was having trouble then because the pen battery was quite low. 

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

Huion WH1409 tablet

Hello, again, Pukeko,

Yes, there is a bit of lag. I have similar, but don't really notice it.

I started doing CG when a 100% gaussian blur on a 640 x 480 px area took 45 minutes. "Real time" rotation of a 3-D wire frame was in one second "burps" for maybe 1.5 degree rotations. I could offer many similar examples.

I expect hardware delays. That is what it think this is. Not a bug.

I made a new file w. the grid set to 5 mm. If I touched a node, and started to drag, the pencil point would move perhaps 1 - 2 mm before the node caught up. Have no way to time that except counting in my head. I estimate that it is less than 1/2 sec. for the pencil touch to bond w. the screen image. The same file on my desktop shows all but instantaneous response.The iPad version works OK, I can get used to it, but prefer the desktop. Its just what the hardware can do. My last year iPad Pro often has a lag w. gestures across all apps. I've read the new one is as much as 4X faster for some operations. 

I wait 1/4 breath before i start to pull a node around, and as slow as I am, thats pretty much instantaneous.

Huion WH1409 tablet

Not seeing any lag here.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

That delay is real for me too.  Just like Pukeko’s video shows.  The node will not move until the tip of the Apple Pencil is about an 1/8 of an inch away from the node.  Here is how it happens for me.  I put the tip of the Apple Pencil on a node, start moving the Pencil away from the node real slowly.  The node will not start moving until the Pencil is around + or - 1/8” away from the node.  This is not a new problem for me.  This has been hapening ever since the initial iPad release of Designer.  It makes it really frustrating to use Designer.  I keep hoping every new update will have the fix for this problem. :(

Maybe there are only a few people experiencing this problem.

Maybe it only bothers a few of us. 

‘iPad Pro 12.9 256gb, Apple Pencil