You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Latest update 1.7.0.162

Opened up the App this evening, and it said there was a new update available. I downloaded it and tried to install it. Got part way through, and I got "Update failed" message, and it left me with nothing. Tried it again using the exe file, and it failed again. Gone back to the previous version. Anyone else got problems with this update ?

I get the same error.  Restart Windows and try again -- it works for me.

(05mar2020) Ryzen 1800x, Gigabyte AX370 K7, Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB NVME-M.2 SSD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G2 PS, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 442.50 (01mar20), LG Ultra HD (2), Win 10 Pro x64 18363.657, Affinity Photo/Designer 1.8.1.604 beta & Publisher 1.8.2.603 beta

On my box I have to uninstall the current beta version, restart the box, THEN install the newest beta.  This has been from the beginning of the beta testing for APub, though I never had this issue with the betas for AD or AP.  It's an inconvenience but works.

11 minutes ago, Chrisw5 said:

Anyone from Affinity going to comment ?

This entire conversation has, I think, taken part on what is officially the weekend for the Serif staff. Your initial post was at 1:51pm EST on Friday, which is about 6pm at the Serif offices. That means that there are fewer staff members available to officially comment, and it's possible that those assigned weekend duty are busy with other threads or are not the appropriate people to be commenting on Publisher installation problems.

Have you tried restarting Windows?

Beyond that, if you open a command prompt window, and "cd" to the directory that contains the installation .exe file, you can generate a log of the install process which will show what went wrong. That might give you a hint of how to fix it, but if not it might help Serif. To get the log you would issue the following command (modifying the file name appropriately):

affinity-publisher-public-beta.exe /log

The log file will be in the AffinitySetup directory in your Windows Temp folder.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

The relevant part of the log, I think, is:

+Error: The cabinet file 'Main.cab' required for this installation is corrupt and cannot be used. This could indicate a network error, an error reading from the CD-ROM, or a problem with this package.

That seems to indicate a corrupt download. However, if  it were corrupt I wouldn't expect it to be able to run at all. Have you tried disabling any anti-virus processing you may be running? Perhaps it's interfering with something.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

13 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Beyond that, if you open a command prompt window, and "cd" to the directory that contains the installation .exe file, you can generate a log of the install process which will show what went wrong. That might give you a hint of how to fix it, but if not it might help Serif. To get the log you would issue the following command (modifying the file name appropriately):

The log file will be in the AffinitySetup directory in your Windows Temp folder.

Walt -

After I try to run the newest Beta file and get the "Setup Failed" message I tried to access this, and it does NOT exist on my box.  This happens on both my Win10-64 Pro desktop box as well as Win10-64 Pro laptop box.

As long as I uninstall first, reboot and install the most current beta (or try to update, then immediately reboot and install the latest beta) I don't run into any issues.  If I attempt to just upgrade/update it my boxes will ALWAYS fail.

17 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

This entire conversation has, I think, taken part on what is officially the weekend for the Serif staff. Your initial post was at 1:51pm EST on Friday, which is about 6pm at the Serif offices. That means that there are fewer staff members available to officially comment, and it's possible that those assigned weekend duty are busy with other threads or are not the appropriate people to be commenting on Publisher installation problems.

Have you tried restarting Windows?

I tried to do what you suggested, but my installer is actually called

affinity-publisher-beta-1.7.0.162.exe

And when I try to use the command option /log, I get a popup dialog titled "Affinity Publisher Setup", with two options /help and /extract. There is no log option and it only displays that dialog box, then the installer terminates.

Win 10 x64 1809. AMD Ryzen, 16GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD, nVidia GPU.

From some other posts I've seen from the Serif staff, creating the look may be automatic for Publisher. So, try running the installer normally and then looking for the setup logs in the Affinity setup folder in you Windows Temp folder.

-- Walt
PC:

22 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

From some other posts I've seen from the Serif staff, creating the look may be automatic for Publisher. So, try running the installer normally and then looking for the setup logs in the Affinity setup folder in you Windows Temp folder.

Thanks for the suggestion, I did find the log files in a folder under AppData...

C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Temp\AffinitySetup\419bcc15-e67e-11e8-87ad-6045cb9fb899

Also, there were entries in the Event Log, which indicated as suggested yesterday, that the installer is corrupted. I downloaded the installer twice, they both do the same thing. Both were "affinity-publisher-beta-1.7.0.162.exe" with the version number attached. Neither behave differently, i.e. both fail to install the same way.

The first error in the Event Log was:

Product: Affinity Publisher Public Beta -- Error 1335. The cabinet file 'Main.cab' required for this installation is corrupt and cannot be used. This could indicate a network error, an error reading from the CD-ROM, or a problem with this package.

I can post the SetupUi.log file, but I doubt it will tell you much more, other than the exact config of my machine.

Any further thoughts are appreciated.

Win 10 x64 1809. AMD Ryzen, 16GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD, nVidia GPU.