You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Smart Objects for APhoto?

Will you be implementing something similar to Photoshops "Smart Objects" in Affinity Photo? I know you have the smart filters but Smart Objects is huge and probably the biggest thing holding me back from investing significant time in AP. I guess my other question would be, if I open a PS document in AP, will "smart objects" translate? Any insight would be appreciated. Thank you. 

• Staff

Hi erickp,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Currently we don't support Photoshop smart objects. They will be rasterised on import. We can use Affinity embedded document's to get a similar results. If you place (menu File ▸ Place) an Affinity document inside another, you can double-click on it on canvas to edit its contents on a new document tab (it will open a new document tab for you). As soon as you close it the original document is updated.

Understood. 

If I do embed another Affinity document inside another, will the original embedded document become another copy?  Meaning if I double-click on it and make a change, will it change the original? Photoshop "smart objects" literally create another document (.psb), so the original doc isn't affected. 

For Publisher that makes total sense, because this is how layout applications usually work. It wasn't clear for Photo, but it's good to know that when you import/embed another Photo document inside another it makes a copy. Keep up the great work! Love what you ladies and gents are doing over there. 

In regard to Publisher:   Should linking to a document just create a sort of XML?  The whole point of linking is to NOT embed and produce a smaller file. 

Can't believe I helped hi-jack my own thread on Affinity Photo.  LOL!  

I totally get it. Just putting it out there. I'm so glad you all are working so hard on Publisher. True competition has been a long time coming. I was around during the QuarkXPress and InDesign wars and saw that tide turn when most thought it wasn't possible. Got a feeling we are seeing the same thing here and NOT just with Publisher.