You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Crop Tool - Remember Crop Ratio or Favourite Crop Ratio

Each time the Crop Tool is selected, the Mode menu always  opens with Unconstrained

If I am cropping a number of open photographs to, say, 6x4, I need to re-select the required ratio for each photograph.

I would love to see a feature that allows the selected Crop Ratio to be remembered - each time another photograph is selected.  I would also love to see the selected Crop Ratio to be remembered between each Affinity Photo session.

Such a feature would significantly improve workflow when the same crop ratio is applied to a series of photographs.

Hey Ron, this one has been suggested a few times in the forum but I haven't seen anything from the developers on the Crop tool.  I am in the same boat as you are in that I process over a hundred images a day, all to the same size (6x4 also) and having to keep selecting the required ratio is stopping me from using Affinity Photo.  Also, the non-destructive cropping is a nuisance.  Other than that I prefer Affinity Photo over Serif PhotoPlus 9, but I am staying with Serif until Affinity can improve the Crop tool.  (I am really only writing all this in hopes that Affinity reads it!)

I recall reading that the Crop Tool has major changes coming in 1.7, which should have a beta out in a couple of weeks from the latest postings I've seen.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I just began using Affinity Photo in earnest today, after being an early supporter that paid merely to support "the cause" (monopolies are always bad), but I am pleased to see that Affinity is now beginning to look like a real Photoshop replacement.

But this oversight is major, I am in the same boat as Steve above - this is a showstopper as I'm having to repeat hundreds of times a day.

There's a similar annoyance with the (surprisingly) good Selection brush tool (W) with its refine selection option, where I always opt for the option to output to new layer with mask, to allow for making subsequent alterations to the background and the mask - same story there - this tool doesn't remember the last used option either. It may seem like a small thing, but when producing large amounts of photos all the extra clicks adds up, and I find myself returning to Photoshop simply because it is faster for this reason.

I have to admit though that the future looks bright if Serif can just iron out these really annoying small omissions, there's so much good stuff too :-)

Hi

In the Road map it says 

"Tool Presets
-User categories in the media browser for shapes and objects"

Hope this includes cropping as it's not yet in 1.7.

Remembering last setting is needed.!

You never get a second chance to make a first impression!

"You never get a second chance to make a first impression"

Dell Inspiron 5570 i5-8250u | 8gb | SSD.m2 | Win 10 Pro 64

This point has been asked for a LOT of time by different users..... over 2+  years...

Downloaded the 1.7  beta yesterday and still the crop ratio is not remembered...  

Not really sure if it's hard to implement, they have forgotten about it or what's the issue with this.

Would love to see it implemented in this next release or at least a note on the developers if they acknowledge this issue.

------------------------

Fernando Velarde

www.velarde.com

Instagram.com/soyfervelarde