You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Lock/Unlock Guides-Button vanished? (v. 1.7.0.162)

• Staff

Hi Design_Doge,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
The button was not removed. Maybe some glitch from the update. Press and hold ⌃(ctrl) while launching the app until a Clear User Data dialog appears, keep the first three checkboxes ticked then press Clear. This should (hopefully) fix the issue.

2 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi Design_Doge,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
The button was not removed. Maybe some glitch from the update. Press and hold ⌃(ctrl) while launching the app until a Clear User Data dialog appears, keep the first three checkboxes ticked then press Clear. This should (hopefully) fix the issue.

Dear MEB,

The problem is still not solved :(

"Baseline Grid Manager" appeared, but nothing else.

EDIT: also re-installed the Program: problem still not solved.

Thanks for having me! :-)

• Staff

Hi Design_Doge,
Thanks for getting back to me. We have changed this (removed the buttons since they are not necessary anymore) in the most recent Beta on Windows (the Mac version will also be changed in the next Beta). I wasn't aware of the changes as i'm using the Mac version primarily, sorry.
You can now drag the ruler origin from the top left corner of the rulers and adjust the guides using any tool dragging them over the ruler area (not on canvas).

14 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi Design_Doge,
Thanks for getting back to me. We have changed this (removed the buttons since they are not necessary anymore) in the most recent Beta on Windows (the Mac version will also be changed in the next Beta). I wasn't aware of the changes as i'm using the Mac version primarily, sorry.
You can now drag the ruler origin from the top left corner of the rulers and adjust the guides using any tool dragging them over the ruler area (not on canvas).

Dear MEB,

thank you. But how to lock/unlock them?? i still don't get it.

The method by using a button was very easy. You should return it.

2 minutes ago, MEB said:

I'm checking this Design_Doge. The dev teams are reworking a few things here and i'm not aware of all changes yet. It's a good question though. I will get back to you as soon as i have more info. I'm sorry for the trouble.

Hey!

Thanks for helping! no problem. thats what a beta is for :D

Hope to hear from you soon!

(By the way: I was thinking about: is this post in the right sub-forum?)

5 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi Design_Doge,

I hope I am misunderstanding this "removed the buttons since they are not necessary anymore". How will I lock the guides? I need to Lock the Guides, okay I admit it I am very clumsy and graceless hence my need to lock things down.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

On 11/9/2018 at 6:29 PM, MEB said:

Hi Old Bruce,
Please check my third reply on this same thread. This area is being changed/improved. I'm sure there will be a way to lock them or prevent them from being accidentally edited. I will let you both know as soon as there's some news.

Hi MEB,

here I have Proposal for the ability to lock guides by assigning them to layers, not to pages.

The "lock guides" button disappeared since the latest beta. I really miss the function!!!!!!!

Of course you could place your guides in a Master page. But if you need different guides for different pages of a brochure, you would have to set up many master pages, what makes no sense, I think.

At present version, you can place guides for the Page. But now you can't lock them anymore. That's rater not so good.

It would be a better solution if you would be able to place guides in a layer
So, who wants, could lock the layer(s) in which the guides are placed.

(That is how it is soved in InDesign and it's really helpful.)

18 hours ago, mark us said:

ability to lock guides by assigning them to layers,

I believe that would require the concept of "global layers", discussed elsewhere but not yet available.  This would mean eliminating guides completely until global layers are implemented, and that may be several versions away.

On 11/13/2018 at 3:54 PM, fde101 said:

I believe that would require the concept of "global layers", discussed elsewhere but not yet available.  This would mean eliminating guides completely until global layers are implemented, and that may be several versions away.

Has nothing to do with global Layers. Just simple Layers ... like in indd

2 hours ago, mark us said:

simple Layers ... like in indd

InDesign layers are not the same as what the Affinity products call a layer; the previous discussion on adding layers that behave like the ones in InDesign was generally referring to them as global layers.

19 hours ago, fde101 said:

InDesign layers are not the same as what the Affinity products call a layer; the previous discussion on adding layers that behave like the ones in InDesign was generally referring to them as global layers.

I admit, you're right as I now understand what you mean with "global layers". I thought, this sort of layer would literally not be "global" but rather local.

But Layers that can group oher Layers already exist. So why not add the ability place guides in a layer, Guides that inherently are not to be printed, but by switching the Layers' visibility on and off, you could exactly chose, which guides or guides groups you want o use.

But wouldn’t you, very often, need guides on more than one page when designing for print? I fear there is no other solution but adding some sort of global layers in the sense of previous discussions. :/

(Sure, we can add different guide systems to different master pages and apply all or some of these master pages to all or some layout pages to make the guides available there. But while it is possible to hide master page objects on layout pages by toggling the visibility of the respective master page layers on these pages, it is not possible to hide master page guides by the same method.)