You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Backgroundcolor Textframes

Hi there,

from Indesign I am used to set background color to text boxes. I haven't found this in Affinity Publisher yet. I can do that with image boxes, but is it also possible with text boxes?
Is it still possible to turn a text box into an image box afterwards, and vice versa? 

Thanks a lot!

BR

Martin

:35_thinking:

Maybe that could be an additional item on a whish-list?

1 minute ago, A_B_C said:

While a picture frame can be converted to a shape text frame, a text frame cannot be converted to a picture frame. :(

I too was trying to figure this out, so it's good to know about the Text Frame panel. However, there are still some limitations here.

In InDesign, we can apply opacity and other effects to the whole object, or to just the text, fill, or stroke. It's a very useful feature, and prevents us having to create separate text frames and background shapes behind them.

On 11/10/2018 at 2:40 PM, alang said:

it would be fantastic to be able to make the background different sizes, like a .125" padding or something like that

You can set the offset for the text in top/bottom/left/right using the Text Frame studio

insets.thumb.jpg.79c7b2612cf7b2a04608a9472a9a9745.jpg

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

On 11/9/2018 at 7:10 PM, jlhopes said:

I too was trying to figure this out, so it's good to know about the Text Frame panel. However, there are still some limitations here.

In InDesign, we can apply opacity and other effects to the whole object, or to just the text, fill, or stroke. It's a very useful feature, and prevents us having to create separate text frames and background shapes behind them.

You can apply opacity to the whole object via the Layers panel, or just to the frame fill and stroke with the Transparency tool or the Text Frame panel. And each colour has its own opacity too.

1 hour ago, Dave Harris said:

You can apply opacity to the whole object via the Layers panel, or just to the frame fill and stroke with the Transparency tool or the Text Frame panel. And each colour has its own opacity too.

Thank you, that's good to know -- coming from InDesign, I wouldn't have known to use the Transparency tool.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.