You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Migrating assets, brushes, macros etc.

As long as your old computer was a Mac, too, and you're installing the same version of the Affinity software, it should be possible to copy the underlying files where Affinity saves that information. 

I'm not sure what all the relevant files are, or where they're located on a Mac, but someone will know :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Some one more knowledgable than I will have to answer this question; Would the brushes and palettes of colours etc be stored in a document which could then be opened on the new machine and thus avoid having to first export/import them ? I suspect the answer is no and I can't test that here because I only have the one machine.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

17 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Would the brushes and palettes of colours etc be stored in a document which could then be opened on the new machine and thus avoid having to first export/import them

Mostly they're stored in files not documents as far as I know, as they aren't specific to a particular Affinity document. They don't need to be opened; they just need to be in the right folder.

But there are some document-specific items that are stored in your Affinity documents. To transfer those you just transfer the Affinity documents.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

40 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Mostly they're stored in files not documents as far as I know, as they aren't specific to a particular Affinity document. They don't need to be opened; they just need to be in the right folder.

Okay, I may have found where they are on the Mac, just need to know what I am looking for.

1 hour ago, evtonic3 said:

Maybe there could be a way to copy/paste or bulk import the asset files to a new computer instead one export/import at a time? I have sooo many things I need to move to a new Mac.

What is it you are looking for? Brushes, Palettes, things? I will be poking about here seeing what I have and I can let you know which folders or files you need to copy from 

<DELETED BECAUSE IT WAS WRONG>

Edited by Old Bruce
completely wrong path name

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

Nope, not there. Just a recursive rabbit hole. I'll keep looking.

"The location for brushes & the like vary depending on if you are using the Mac or Windows version, but there is no brushes folder as such, so what you want to do won't work. On Macs, the per user brushes are stored in a deeply nested subfolder in ~/Library/Containers/ with the filename "raster_brushes.propcol." This file contains all the brush categories & the brushes in them, but it is a binary encoded file, using an undocumented proprietary format."

/Users/<Your Name Here>/Library/Containers/com.seriflabs.affinitydesigner/Data/Library/Application Support/user

/Users/<Your Name Here>/Library/Containers/com.seriflabs.affinityphoto/Data/Library/Application Support/user

How comfortable/experienced are you with the Mac? What you will be doing is copying this folder "user" onto a floppy (Ha Ha Ha Ha... sorry just showing my age) On to your new machine.  Then you will be replacing the one on the new machine after you have installed and Opened made a new document and Closed Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo if you have it too.  If you want to just keep some items then just over write them, that is what I would do. The reason for starting and stoping is to get the 'user' folder made and populated.

On the new machine do NOT delete the folder/files until you are happy with the new install.

• 5 years later...
On 11/8/2018 at 9:24 PM, walt.farrell said:

As long as your old computer was a Mac, too, and you're installing the same version of the Affinity software, it should be possible to copy the underlying files where Affinity saves that information. 

I'm not sure what all the relevant files are, or where they're located on a Mac, but someone will know :)

Hi,

Do you know how to or where are the files and/or folder for a windows PC?

1 hour ago, RogerFx said:

Hi,

Do you know how to or where are the files and/or folder for a windows PC?

I answered in the other topic you posted in. 

-- Walt
PC: