You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Saving issue in - 1.7.0.162 (split)

Hey

Publisher is a great app, I love it. Unfortunatelly with the last Update I got a problem and can't find a work-arround.

- Is there a way to go back to the previous installed version?
- Did anybody know, where the updated version are to download?

- Where I can see the history of installed/updated versions?

#######################################
«Save» BUG:

I have worked on an new Publisher File. Then the update-info poped-up. I saved the work. Then I updated the old version (unfortunatelly I can't remember wich one it was ;o().
With the Affinity Publisher Public Beta - 1.7.0.162 on MacBook Pro with OSX 10.11.6 I have always problems with save the file. After small changed the save-process works.
But after a Page->Dublicate I cant save the current file anymore:

609961968_Affinity-Publisher_Savefailedbecausethefilecouldnotbewrittento.png.e3c212b047f2f9a824c303a065dea9a5.png

Then I thought, I will do a new file with «SAVE AS». But this is also not possible:

493908062_Affinity-Publisher_SAVE-AS_Savefailedbecausethefilecouldnotbewrittento.png.ea95f470e20280b1dd76d678c29d4863.png

Stangly enough the file is written to the disk:

1618588715_Affinity-Publisher_SAVE-AS-FILEEXIST_Savefailedbecausethefilecouldnotbewrittento.png.da8e2bff1f86f237e7af1f3d46449569.png

First Time I guessed «YEAH, i have found a work-around!»
But the joy lasted only briefly, next the save as file could not open with Publisher.
The original FIle does not have any file-extionsions written like all the Files also in Designer and Photo. But the save-as-File has the extension «afpub».
Seams to be OK, but at the end, there is some problem with:

FIRST: the information about it should be already open fron an other application:

1951994982_Affinity-Publisher_AlreadyOpen_Savefailedbecausethefilecouldnotbewrittento.png.38c55c2b73adce3b4a2a269f826794ae.png

So I shut down the Publisher, restart and reopen. BUT:

426342655_Affinity-Publisher_NOT-SUPPORTED_Savefailedbecausethefilecouldnotbewrittento.png.44c17d0b66d8584d6c1a334a087aafb6.png

The save-as File is not supported :o(( and the old original has not the current state inside.
I treid also to shutdown the macbook pro. But after restart same behaviour.
I tried also to delete the extesion But same «not supported» popup.

Hope will help for debug.

#######################################

BUT in the meantime:
- Does anybody know a direct-link to old versions?
- For safty futur: Is there a solution to install the next update in parallel to an old version?
So it would be raly simple to go back to the last working version/only start the old one ;o)!

Thank you for help and the great APP!
Friendly regards

Martin

Great!
I have found a previous-previous version in forum «1.7.0.145» under https://s3.amazonaws.com/affinity-beta/download/affinity-publisher-public-beta-1.7.0.145.dmg. (If someone else is searching for.)  

AND -> it's unbelievable:
This Version can open both of the files «written from 1.7.0.162 without problems. Also save-as is not problem. Have also duplictate the same page and the save and also the save-as is working like a charm!!

- Maybe someone knows a link to a temporary hosted file of version 1.7.0.157?

Then I could try out if this is working fine. Otherwise I have to wait until the next version.

BUT I NEVER WILL USE THE UPDATE-BUTTON in tne APP! -> except if, ...

2 Small Feature-Request:

1. A Link in the next «current-version topic» to the «previous version». So if something went wrong, there is  a simple way-back-routine. (Then I will use the Update-Button perhaps in future). Otherwise the manual download with parallel install will be my first choice ;o))
2. In the Finder the version for 1.7.0.162 and 1.7.0.145 is shown as 1.7.0. Would be great if the shown version is same as the installated. So it would be mutch easier to see the different between 2 parallel installed or also to see what version is current installed, before any os x user update the app.

Thank you for all the great work.
Chears Martin

Thanks fde101,
Is not my intention to rstay on 1.7.0.145!

Hope
- next version will come out soon
or
- maybe someone will get a working link to last 1.7.0.157.

Have tried with url-change from current link. But then the key-id is missing or no matching. So I can't figure out the right url.  ...

I can confirm this bug as well, with a little bit more information. In my case, it appears as if this bug happens to items that sync to the cloud (in my instance, iCloud). I tried saving to a place on my HDD that doesn't sync to anything, and it worked just fine. No previous version of the Affinity Publisher beta had any saving issues whatsoever, so I'm wondering if this is a bug that got introduce in this version?

1 hour ago, coolieranx said:

Actually, hold on. I tested what @JFisher mentioned about afphoto/afdesign files added to the master page. It made saving impossible, even on my purely local copy. Maybe disregard my theory on cloud files!

It's funny you mention cloud as I was saving to my Google Drive folder. However, I tried saving to the Desktop and it made no difference. I've rolled back to 1.7.0.145 for the moment and haven't' had a problem.

Nothing on my master page apart from page number and margins.

Hi mad99,

We'd be grateful if you could check whether you have 'Save with Document History' turned on. If so, try turning it off.

Any other information such as you trying to save to network shares or USB sticks would also be useful.

Also, if the original document is already on disk and you are trying to open it and save over it then posting the document could be very useful.

---

There is no problem with you downloading and using version 157, but please be aware because we always want people testing the latest version the betas do expire. Version 157 will expire early next week.

So I have tested different approaches and questions:

Here the answsers:

1. The file was written with 1.7.0.157

2. «Save with Document History» was turned off, when I had problems for the first time in 1.7.0.162. In the process of the Try & Errors, I enabled the function.

3. Today I desabled the «Save with Document History».
Results:
1.7.0.162 Same Error -> enabled/disabled
1.7.0.157 No Error (with same test-file -> enabled/disabled)
1.7.0.149 No Error (with same test-file -> enabled/disabled)

4. Save network stuff:
I work from Disk directly
every 1 hours there are backup routines to save to Backup-Sticks (alternatively 2 different) (CCC)
every 1 (30 min. shifted) there is a full-bootable-backup routine to save to external harddrive. (CCC)
Time-Machine enabled to second harddrive.

NO cloud or LAN files using.

But all this copies/backups are only in the backgound. So I'm quite sure, this is no problem for Publisher. Also think so, because 1.7.0.157 and 1.7.0.149 works fine with absolut same approach.

5. «Also, if the original document is already on disk and you are trying to open it and save over it then posting the document could be very useful.»
It is already on disk. Sorry I don't really understand the rest. Do you mean you would like to have the file in a private post - AdamW?

6. The Master-Page had included 2 «Embedded document» from Designer.
Also in 1 Page from 30 there was a «Embedded Designer-Document»
Have delete them all three in 1.7.0.162 -> SAME SAVE-ERROR
Have delete them all three in 1.7.0.157 -> Reopen in n 1.7.0.162 -> NO SAVE-ERROR

So I guess, it has something to do with the «Embedded Document» changing behaviour in 1.7.0.162. But maybe there are more than one «layer» that cause this error...

Hope this helps to find the «real» bug (or all multiple layers):$.

Cheers
Martin

@MEB:
Maybe there is a way to adjust the release and expire practice of Beta-App a bit?:x
This would greatly reduce the pressure and chances of total breakdown / interruption of work.
Still don't touch Affinity's business model too much.
I would be happy if something similar to the proposed formula could be planned or at least thought about.

See here:

Thank you for reading and the moment to think about it.
Friendly regards
Martin

• Staff
1 hour ago, bgeal said:

I have exactly the same peoblem. 

Nothing on Master Page and saving to local drives. 

Can you please share the file as saved by the previous build, the one that doesn't save in 1.7.0.162 (unless this is a file made from scratch in this build that you have never saved)

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Here's the file. It is now saving OK. When I first opened the file in 162 it saved OK. I then did some further work on it and it would no longer save.I then closed Publisher and rebooted and it offered me a recovery file which I accepted and this has been OK so far, albeit I lost the changes I had previously done and I haven't yet put them back in.

Ornua Competency Framework v2.afpub

1 hour ago, MEB said:

Hi marctwo,
Please check your PM's. Note v.157 will end up expiring too, but you should be able to recover the file/work for a couple more days until we fix this in a new Beta.

Thanks but 157 tells me it's expired :(

2 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi marctwo,
I'm sorry about that. I did know it was about to expire but not exactly when. I'm assuming you can't open that file in the most recent Beta correct? If that's the case you will have to wait for the next Beta which should already have these issues fixed.

I can open the file, I just can't save it. I realise this is beta software but I would be massively grateful if you were able to release the fix for this soon!

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.