Just tested frequency separation on my new 2018 iPad Pro (12.9”) and noticed it seems to burn the image on two layers and over saturate with too much contrast instead of creating a blur on the low image and a high pass on the high image.  Did this simultaneously on a 2015 iPad Pro which worked flawlessly so seems to be a compatibility issue with the 2018 hardware. 

Also parts of the image disappear when using the history studio.

Both devices running iOS 12.1. 

33D2B74A-C4E3-42DA-B41F-AA4AEA2BBC1E.png

DA226310-46C3-44E2-A075-8A938D3BEAC2.png

I just bought iPad Pro 12.9 2018 and I am investigating the possible usage of Affinity on my new device. I am trying to find information about the compatibility of the new hardware, including the new Apple Pencil which I also bought.

Regarding the above I also need to know, if the current release of the software do not support the latest Apple hardware, which just came to the market, do they plan an update of the software or a new release.

Regards

RJ

Hi Deancarl & Ross Jordan,

Welcome to the forums :)

We've recently received our iPad Pro 2018 models and our devs are working with them currently to patch Affinity for compatible issues. Once this has been done, I will test the following reports against the internal alpha build to see if these bugs have been fixed, and if not I will raise them with our dev team.

Unfortunately I can't provide a workaround for the meantime, hopefully the patch will be out shortly, we appreciate your patience in the meantime. 

Hello,

i‘am also evaluating affinity foto on my new ipad pro 11 with ios 12.1.

I run into the same issue...

as iam new to affinity photo, it is very hard to seperato my faults from issues like these.

iam a little bit disapointed because i bought the new ipad especially for learning affinity foto. So i spend very very lot euros.

Does it make sense to go back to ios 12 instead of 12.1 ?

can you provide a estimated schedule for a bug fix release?

Is there a bug tracking tool, where i can enter the issue?  If it helps to get the things working, i would help ;-)

with best regards

Erik 

Same issue here, (iPad 12,9 3rd generation) tried frequency separation and ended up having a weird colour on the high frequency layer , I tried a high pass filter and it does the same thing... sometimes my images just simply don’t show... hope to get an update soon... with my 2nd generation iPad Pro 12,9 (with I sold) everything was working perfectly. Now I’m stocked working on my laptop...

07F884D2-AD99-42AB-8CC4-C80F85420280.png

7FF99D56-1F34-4D6F-AE8B-8E379B42A8E3.png

BFA08DBE-8A91-4E17-A40D-6DB23185FC90.png

B38A85D2-64F4-4A71-B9ED-9D62E6026227.png

Hi,

i reset my ipad pro 11 completely and did a fresh (manually) install instead of backup/recovry of my ipad air 2.

but the same issue occured. 

Maybe this information is helpfull for your development department.

Unfortunately only our dev team currently have the new iPads, so I'm yet unable to replicate this issue in my department, my apologies.

However it's been logged and hopefully will be fixed shortly :) 

Hi guys,

Both myself and Dan C have had chance to use the new iPad today and following your bug reports, we have found a few more issues with the filters all displaying incorrectly—so thanks for the early heads up! 

I've had a quick chat with the developers and they are keen to get these resolved :) 

Hi Dan and Chris,

I’ve noticed that there was an update last week on the App Store; Version 1.6.10 that added optimisations for the 2018 iPad Pro. Did this update address the issues in this thread as I still have the same issues?

1 hour ago, Deancarl said:

Hi Dan and Chris,

I’ve noticed that there was an update last week on the App Store; Version 1.6.10 that added optimisations for the 2018 iPad Pro. Did this update address the issues in this thread as I still have the same issues?

Hey Deancarl, welcome to the Affinity Forums.

The updates were to adjust the UI for the new 2018 iPad Pro amongst a few other minor tweaks. The issues in this thread should be addressed in a separate update but I'm not sure if the fix will be pushed straight to the Store version or if it will go to our Testflight beta first. I'll try and find out!

13 hours ago, Sir_erik said:

Hi Team,

still no Bugfix? No Workaround? Maybe you can give us a hint about a timeline to fix?

Thank you

Erik

I have an internal build that I've been looking at and this does appear to be fixed. There were a few other filters affected so it took a bit longer than we wanted it to. There should be a release in the app store this week :) 

There’s a relatively simple way to do frequency separation I figured out a while ago. I shared a macro that automates this process (see the first link below). I rarely use the frequency separation filter anymore, since the macro is far more powerful: you can use any blur mode you wish to make the low pass layer (I strongly suggest trying median blur, or a denoise “blur”), and can do some rather creative stuff (try using a hue/color/luminosity modified version of the layer as the “low pass”). I think I also included a macro that generates a high pass layer alone, and some really cool sharpening/denoise/color correction can be done without being locked into Gaussian blur as the low pass source.

For details on how this works, look at the second link below (steps 6-9 are the FS ones). Note that this will work on the iPad version - the method with apply image can’t be done on the iPad easily as it doesn’t allow selecting a layer within the document as a source. 

Here’s some screenshots of how to set this up. It’s really simple even without the macro. freq sep.afphoto

To make your high pass layer:

1. Duplicate your layer, and invert the duplicate.

2. Apply your blur filter to the duplicate (or anything else crazy you can think of).

3. Set the blend mode to average.

(Optional: group these two layers together and set the blend mode for the group to linear light. This allows dynamic editing of the high pass layer.)

To make your low pass layer:. 

1. Apply your blur filter to the original layer (or whatever you did in step 2 for the high pass layer).

D5F3585C-A7E6-49B9-9B03-D65611F6841F.png

E98615B4-3FF3-4E65-996E-42AAC6DDC58A.png

B731A79E-2BC2-486F-8EA5-C5CA2EABD919.png

hey has there been any update for this? its really become a roadblock not being able to use this filter...

EDIT: ever since using the freq sep filter I am experiencing problems with all photos loading. There are blocks of pixels missing from files old and new. Please help lol

4985CD76-95B8-4BE6-B02F-E8E099EA7A11.png

4 hours ago, Dan C said:

We're testing a build internally currently and plan on releasing it as soon as possible, my sincerest apologies for the delay.

do you think this will be fixed before you guys go on holiday?

We failed the initial build which fixed a lot of the issues but we found some issues still remained. I can't say if you will see a fix before we break up for Christmas or not as I don't know but we don't want to release something that might have broken something else and then have everyone stuck whilst support is limited over the holiday.

Build 1.6.11.85 from the App Store fixed this however, it introduced an issue with opening TIFF files (makes the app crash) which has been fixed on a beta TestFlight build so I would expect another update soon.