You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

New Document & Resolution

Hello. How can I defeat the 96 DPI resolution imposed on any picture I copy-paste from another software to Affinity? The New Document window  covers all kind of new document resolutions but not this one in particular and I’m stuck with having to change it manually after each copy-paste. Any way to force it to be of the same resolution than the copied one or any other that I want? Thanks. 

1 hour ago, Denis-Vincent said:

but do we know why

My guess: If what you're doing is selecting all (or part) of a displayed image in some other application, then what you're getting is a 96dpi image because that's how it's displayed on-screen and you're making a copy of the screen display. (But that's purely a guess; I could easily be wrong.)

As for having a suggestion for future versions: Unless the other application provides the information on its document's actual resolution, how would the OS clipboard, or Affinity, know what it was?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 minutes ago, Denis-Vincent said:

I'm just copy-pasting a picture at 72dpi from GraphicConverter to Affinity that Photoshop, for instance, would have given me at 72dpi also. This is why I don't understand the complexity of the action.

If the picture had a different dpi than 72, would Photoshop give you that dpi correctly? Or would it simply always give 72dpi (as Affinity always gives 96dpi)?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Oh, good question. I must say that it has been a while since I worked with PS and do not remember if PS was locked at 72 or was able to render the same dpi than then copied picture. I have a felling that it was able to adjust, but can't be certain. Thanks for responding.

19 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

If the picture had a different dpi than 72, would Photoshop give you that dpi correctly? Or would it simply always give 72dpi (as Affinity always gives 96dpi)?

If I copy an image via another application and paste into Photoline (PL), it is whatever resolution the image actually has in the metadata. If I copy from File Explorer (Windows) and paste as a new document in PL, the same occurs. If I drag & drop an image into PL, again, the image has whatever resolution the image has in the metadata.

The same applies to PS as well as Corel Photo-Paint. & ...

Mike

6 minutes ago, Denis-Vincent said:

So, what you are saying is that Affinity could do it also? Do you know why it has decided not?

If you are asking me, then my answer is I have no real idea why APhoto is any different than the other applications. Having said that, it pretty much seems logical if one or more applications handle this differently, then APhoto could be made to do so.

12 minutes ago, >|< said:

Yes, New From Clipboard does always result in 96 ppi in Affinity apps on Mac. Logically, it should be the same ppi as the image in the clipboard has, or default to 72 if none specified.

A default resolution of 72 PPI is logical for the Mac versions of the apps, but 96 PPI is likewise logical for the Windows versions. Maybe the developers didn’t want to muddy the waters by having different defaults for different platforms.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

17 minutes ago, >|< said:

Yes, I understand the logic of 96 for Windows, but the Affinity apps started on the Mac platform. :)

A good point well made, as they say.

Anyway, when the image on the clipboard has a specified ppi, New From Clipboard should honour that ppi.

Agreed. :)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)