You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

The Affinity Photo version of ‘content-aware fill’ is ‘inpainting’. There’s an Inpainting Brush Tool (in the same toolbar group as the Healing Brush Tool) and there’s also an inpainting option for the ‘Edit > Fill’ command.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
5 hours ago, dr220 said:

That's great to remove artifacts within a scene, but I want to extend an edge of a photograph,

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @dr220. :)

Have you tried the Clone Tool?

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Thank you for your reply Alfred. I did try Clone and it does work, as long as the edge of the photo is not too complicated - say a studio backdrop or even a sky. The same with in-painting tool although that is not as accurate. Maybe I am asking too much so I will have to be content with what I can achieve. Clone can work exceptionally well under the right conditions.

On 8/27/2020 at 5:15 PM, dr220 said:

That's great to remove artifacts within a scene, but I want to extend an edge of a photograph,

That is where inpainting tool fails. It should be made better in this regard. 

It though works almost OK if you first fill the empty edge with suitable colour (like average colour value on nearby area).

Old fashioned cloning is always possible though...

• Staff

Hi @dr220,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Did you use the Inpaint Brush Tool itself or the command from the Edit menu? It's not clear from your replies above. If you want to fill an area, select the (empty) area and use the Edit > Inpaint command to fill it. Depending on the image and the area you want to extend, the fill may work quite well or at least may be used as a base for further editing with the Clone and other tools. Sample clip below:

1 hour ago, Fixx said:

You are right; this works well. 

Still not as simple as Photoshop in this regard. It works well but could be made a lot easier. Photoshop you simply have the crop tool, you check a little box for content aware then adjust as you like. Looks like a lot of unnecessary steps to achieve the same thing. Now it does work and still easy which is great, just needs some UI fine tuning. 

Sometimes it helps to use the Patch Tool (as well as Clone and Inpainting, depending on the image.)

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

• 1 year later...
7 hours ago, Ikikuru said:

Just stumbled across this. Sorry if wrong place for the question. But I thought as the topic is covered here it might elicit a quicker response. Do know how t do this the on IPad version?

You will probably get better answers if you post in the iPad questions forum. But to get you started, please start with the application Help for Affinity Photo, and search for inpainting.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 3 months later...

I hope they haven't been waiting for the past 3 months... ;)

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD