You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi. I am currently running an AFFINITY PHOTO class for Suffolk Mac User Group members, here in Ipswich. One member, a professional designer, has a question I cannot answer (because I've never heard of the tool he's looking for) and I wondered if anyone could help with a definitive Yes or No? He asks:

A random, but important question (for me at least), is whether AP has the equivalent of PS’s ‘descreen’ tool. I have searched several times for it but have a feeling they have called it something totally different. In PS it neatly removes printers’ screening in images, albeit with some downside on definition. In the world of original photo processing this is something which I’m sure is never an issue but when using images from repro sources the print screen is a major obstacle.

Can anyone help?

Thank you.

Welcome to the forum!

No there is no direct equivalent counterpart to this PS "Descreen tool", but you can get similar results by using instead APhoto denoise filters, the healing tools etc. in order to fix blemishes, scratches, noise/grain and the like from scanned in printer images.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

2 hours ago, Mike Kwasniak said:

A random, but important question (for me at least), is whether AP has the equivalent of PS’s ‘descreen’ tool. I have searched several times for it but have a feeling they have called it something totally different. In PS it neatly removes printers’ screening in images, albeit with some downside on definition. In the world of original photo processing this is something which I’m sure is never an issue but when using images from repro sources the print screen is a major obstacle.

Printer noise is also called Moire. It is basically the dots used in the print haltone process interfering with the scanner.. Use the special FFT Denoise filter to descreen it.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

• 4 years later...