You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello and thank you for your effort to give us publisher!

I happen from time to time to print carbonless paper to make invoice books or numbered coupons, while a simple automatic page numbering is enough for having numbering in paper sizes from A5 and above, there are times that I have to fit multiple smaller sized pages in one big page and need each to start and stop at different numbers.

After a long time and thanks to the help of many people I managed to do this with indesign and I wonder if it is possible to be done with publisher too.

I will describe how I did this with indesign because it is not exactly an indesign feature but more of a creative way of using the lists in indesign.

So maybe after someone recreate the result can tell me if it can be done in publisher.

So I make a new document and enter the master page, I make a new text box in there and while I'm still in typing mode in the box I go to the upper right corner next to the thunder where there is a triangle menu. There I pick "Bullets and Numbering" at the lower end of the menu.

I choose "Numbers" and make a new list, then I select numbering style in format field and delete the dot in the "number" field. Then in the "mode" I select "Start at".

Now I return in the text box and press enter (don't type anything just press enter) and now I copy this text box as many times as I want.

Now I leave the master and return to the document where I add the pages that I want to have (let's say I add 10 empty pages) all of the with the master applied, then I select all the pages from the pages toolbox and select "override master page" and every text box get the right numbering (that is each box start where the previews on stop at the last page of the document and so on).

It is not simple so a big thanks to anyone who may even try to see if this is possible in publisher.

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

5.png

6.png

7.png

8.png

9.png

10.png

Current Workstation:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5500 - MOBO: Asus B450 - RAM: 16GB DDR4 2667Mhz - GPU: AMD Radeon 7850 1GB
NVMe SSD: Crusial P3 1TB M.2 -  SSD: Samsung Evo 850 256GB  - PSU: XFX TS450 - OS: Win10

I'm not too clear what you want but I'd guess its a sort of Cut Stacks, so, for example, to print 54 numbered 210 x 99 tickets 6 up on A3 the numbered top sheet would be  1, 10, 19, 27, 36, 45. I suppose it's stating the obvious, but most imposition software will do that. I'd be very surprised if Publisher could do it. If you've managed to do that with InDesign then good for you. Maybe you could just do the design in Publisher/Designer and add the numbering in InDesign. I have found InDesign CS6 plus various scripts can do all sorts of useful output things.

Windows 10 Pro, I5 3.3G PC 16G RAM

You could try using  very small pages (e.g., 3" by 2") with the page number centered on them. (Unfortunately, I haven't found a way to get that to show leading zeros.)

Then print them N-Up on a larger page using the Publisher print dialog. If you need gaps in the page numbering you can use the Section Manager to accomplish that.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 11/8/2018 at 1:21 PM, MickRose said:

I'm not too clear what you want but I'd guess its a sort of Cut Stacks, so, for example, to print 54 numbered 210 x 99 tickets 6 up on A3 the numbered top sheet would be  1, 10, 19, 27, 36, 45. I suppose it's stating the obvious, but most imposition software will do that. I'd be very surprised if Publisher could do it. If you've managed to do that with InDesign then good for you. Maybe you could just do the design in Publisher/Designer and add the numbering in InDesign. I have found InDesign CS6 plus various scripts can do all sorts of useful output things.

Yeah this is what I want to do, numbered lists in indesign do the trick but it was hard to figure out, I was lucky to find people who teaches me.

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

You could try using  very small pages (e.g., 3" by 2") with the page number centered on them. (Unfortunately, I haven't found a way to get that to show leading zeros.)

Then print them N-Up on a larger page using the Publisher print dialog. If you need gaps in the page numbering you can use the Section Manager to accomplish that.

hm this may work but seem like a really long workaround.

Current Workstation:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5500 - MOBO: Asus B450 - RAM: 16GB DDR4 2667Mhz - GPU: AMD Radeon 7850 1GB
NVMe SSD: Crusial P3 1TB M.2 -  SSD: Samsung Evo 850 256GB  - PSU: XFX TS450 - OS: Win10

On 11/13/2018 at 2:50 PM, walt.farrell said:

You can show leading zeros by setting the Number style in the Section Manager. That goes up to 0001; if you need more than three zeros you can probably enter them by hand.

On 11/8/2018 at 10:30 AM, nitro912gr said:

Hello and thank you for your effort to give us publisher!

I happen from time to time to print carbonless paper to make invoice books or numbered coupons, while a simple automatic page numbering is enough for having numbering in paper sizes from A5 and above, there are times that I have to fit multiple smaller sized pages in one big page and need each to start and stop at different numbers.

After a long time and thanks to the help of many people I managed to do this with indesign and I wonder if it is possible to be done with publisher too.

I will describe how I did this with indesign because it is not exactly an indesign feature but more of a creative way of using the lists in indesign.

So maybe after someone recreate the result can tell me if it can be done in publisher.

It is not simple so a big thanks to anyone who may even try to see if this is possible in publisher.

I'm not sure exactly what you want either, but a similar approach may work. I just created a master page with a text frame and gave it an empty paragraph formatted as a numbered list. I gave it a name "Pages" and ticked the Global checkbox, and set Restart numbering to Manual. I then copied that 4 times to represent 5 pages. I then created several pages using this master page. Every page had the five text frames numbered consecutively, continuing on from one page to the next in the natural way.

To force the numbering to be different, I went to the Layers panel for the second page, found the master page, and beneath that found the frame where I wanted the numbering to change and selected it. I then went to the Paragraph panel and ticked the Restart numbering now checkbox, and set the Start numbering at to the number I wanted.

Oh! This sound like what I do in indesign, thanks! I will try it out asap because I have my hands full atm.

Current Workstation:

• 1 year later...
9 hours ago, Bright said:

seems like that but feels harder than the way I have shown above for indesign.

Anyway I didn't had time to test the above mentioned method yet from Dave Harris but if you have anything to add on how to do things like this in publisher you are more than welcome!

Current Workstation: