Sign in to follow this  
Stephen Gannon

Why no slug area Publisher

As a time-served Compositor (most of you will need to Google that job) I have many years creating artwork on many typesetting systems from the early 1970s onwards. In recent decades, like many people, I have been using QuarkXpress and InDesign to build artworks. Unfortunately, those softwares are prohibitively expensive, so it comes a pleasant surprise to find a software that is on the surface, is a good as the industry standards at a reasonable price.

One observation is that I notice that Affinity Publisher does not include a Slug area. This is a much ignored and misunderstood feature within InDesign. It's sole, but sometimes essential purpose is to allow the creator of the artwork to place information on the edge of the artwork document that can be included or excluded from the  PDF sent to the printer.

This can be simply page numbers or essential information to the Printer pertaining to the page(s) it is attached to. The beauty of the slug area, is Adobe  PDF allow it to be included or excluded from the PDF, therefore it doesn't interfere with Imposition software but it can be included whereever it is necessary. 

In my decades of experience very few people understand its purpose, however it is to the professional artwork creator essential.

Edited by Stephen Gannon
Typo

I agree with Stephen Gannon and have made comments on another thread requesting this feature. That forum topic didn't mention the slug feature in it's title so I just want to pile on here to cement this as a feature request. It is an essential feature in my packaging workflow (example attached) and is a critical consideration in my future decision to move to Affinity Publisher.

pack-example.pdf

Yes please!

I use the slug area all the time in InDesign to add notes on which version a lasered letter it is, especially as some clients insist on one file with all the letter versions in them.

A note in the slug area is easy to see which version is which.

See these slug area screenshots from a recent job...

Screen Shot 2018-11-16 at 15.49.24.png

Screen Shot 2018-11-16 at 15.49.46.png

Screen Shot 2018-11-16 at 15.50.06.png

We are definitely going to need a SLUG on artwork to include data strips and markups etc. before we can take it seriously. The software is good though but will need this type of industry enhancement standard.

On 11/7/2018 at 9:00 PM, Stephen Gannon said:

One observation is that I notice that Affinity Publisher does not include a Slug area.

A number of users have asked for this feature already so I wouldn't be surprised if it did come in not so distant future. But of course the more people ask for it the better.

Yes please - NEEEEEEEED!

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009)
2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon
48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram
NVIDIA GeForce GT 630 - 2 GB
Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor
Mac OS 10.11.6 El Capitan

Affinity Designer, Photo and Publisher 1.7.1 + Betas when available

Binger.jpg.1f81574106cc2dea8ae65d0a572b9ef9.jpg
www.bingercreative.co.uk

4 hours ago, Inc said:

I might have missed this but was the slug area ever added?

No.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) Mac OS 10.12.6 || Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 10.14.5

Affinity Designer 1.7.1 | Affinity Photo 1.7.1 | Affinity Publisher 1.7.1 | Affinity Photo Beta 1.7.2.146 | Affinity Publisher Beta 1.7.2.422