You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Why no slug area Publisher

One more yes vote...

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) Mac OS 13 | 4.2 GHz Quad Core Intel-Core i7 | 64GB Ram | Radeon Pro 580 8 GB

Adobe Photography (Lightroom and Photoshop) | Affinity Designer 2 | Affinity Photo 2 | Affinity Publisher 2 | Capture One Pro (for now) | Topaz Labs Photography Suite | Fast Raw Viewer | NeoFinder

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
11 hours ago, mliving said:

and make the artboard area usable to drop assets onto and be able to see and manipulate them.

The area to the right and left of the page is available for that purpose, if you disable View > View Mode > Clip to Canvas.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

You're welcome, @mliving.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi, I'm new to this forum. This 'slug' area has been confusing me too, but as far as I can tell, and correct me if I'm mistaken, but Publisher already creates a slug area, even though its width cannot be predefined. At least I can see one in the exported document. Or perhaps the feature was added in V.2? 

Screenshot 2023-08-23 at 14.22.04.png

Screenshot 2023-08-23 at 14.21.53.png

35 minutes ago, tom_tm said:

Publisher already creates a slug area, even though its width cannot be predefined. At least I can see one in the exported document. Or perhaps the feature was added in V.2? 

The feature request concerns editable content in the slug area, e.g. a custom text frame. Your various shown print marks were available since V1, while on export any user object gets hidden outside the bleed and text seems to get exported but masked by a cropping rectangle.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

On 8/23/2023 at 2:23 PM, tom_tm said:

Hi, I'm new to this forum. This 'slug' area has been confusing me too, but as far as I can tell, and correct me if I'm mistaken, but Publisher already creates a slug area, even though its width cannot be predefined. At least I can see one in the exported document. Or perhaps the feature was added in V.2? 

Screenshot 2023-08-23 at 14.22.04.png

Screenshot 2023-08-23 at 14.21.53.png

The attached opera ad includes a slug at the bottom. Created in InDesign. When inserting the PDF in an Indesign publication, options allow only showing the art, or the bleed, or the whole PDF including the slug. I use slugs to identify the art, and occasionally to include specific art instructions.

Bob K

image.png

19 minutes ago, PilotBob said:

When inserting the PDF in an Indesign publication, options allow only showing the art, or the bleed, or the whole PDF including the slug.

Same display options exist if you place your PDF in Affinity, see the "Page box" menu. – This is regardless of the missing ability to get custom objects in the slug area exported unmasked in Affinity.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• 4 months later...
On 1/23/2024 at 9:57 AM, DavePressCats said:

Slug is an essential tool, no reason not to add it in designer and publisher.

Also you need to add he ability to import IDML files.

Yes we're still waiting on a slug area, or at least a way to manually set the offset for crop marks. However, IDML import has been implemented for some time.

On 11/7/2018 at 10:00 PM, Stephen Gannon said:

In my decades of experience very few people understand its purpose, however it is to the professional artwork creator essential.

In professional contexts, it's now well recognised in my experience. There are several things to use it for, but the really positive thing about slug area is the simplicity and that the information reaches the right people in the right place at the right time. When the printer receives the file, they have all relevant instructions and information immediately available on the document itself, streamlining the process and reducing the risk of misunderstandings or errors.

When you collaborate with others on a regular basis and learn to include information you know they'll ask for, you're more likely to leave work on time, whistling and happy.

Experienced Quality Assurance Manager - I strive for excellence in complex professional illustrations through efficient workflows in modern applications, supporting me in achieving my and my colleagues' goals through the most achievable usability and contemporary, easy-to-use user interfaces.

In professional contexts, it's now well recognised in my experience. There are several things to use it for, but the really positive thing about slug area is the simplicity and that the information reaches the right people in the right place at the right time. When the printer receives the file, they have all relevant instructions and information immediately available on the document itself, streamlining the process and reducing the risk of misunderstandings or errors.

When you collaborate with others on a regular basis and learn to include information you know they'll ask for, you're more likely to leave work on time, whistling and happy.

Could not have said it better myself.

• 2 months later...