You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Why no slug area Publisher

As a time-served Compositor (most of you will need to Google that job) I have many years creating artwork on many typesetting systems from the early 1970s onwards. In recent decades, like many people, I have been using QuarkXpress and InDesign to build artworks. Unfortunately, those softwares are prohibitively expensive, so it comes a pleasant surprise to find a software that is on the surface, is a good as the industry standards at a reasonable price.

One observation is that I notice that Affinity Publisher does not include a Slug area. This is a much ignored and misunderstood feature within InDesign. It's sole, but sometimes essential purpose is to allow the creator of the artwork to place information on the edge of the artwork document that can be included or excluded from the  PDF sent to the printer.

This can be simply page numbers or essential information to the Printer pertaining to the page(s) it is attached to. The beauty of the slug area, is Adobe  PDF allow it to be included or excluded from the PDF, therefore it doesn't interfere with Imposition software but it can be included whereever it is necessary. 

In my decades of experience very few people understand its purpose, however it is to the professional artwork creator essential.

Edited by Stephen Gannon
Typo

I agree with Stephen Gannon and have made comments on another thread requesting this feature. That forum topic didn't mention the slug feature in it's title so I just want to pile on here to cement this as a feature request. It is an essential feature in my packaging workflow (example attached) and is a critical consideration in my future decision to move to Affinity Publisher.

pack-example.pdf

Yes please!

I use the slug area all the time in InDesign to add notes on which version a lasered letter it is, especially as some clients insist on one file with all the letter versions in them.

A note in the slug area is easy to see which version is which.

See these slug area screenshots from a recent job...

Screen Shot 2018-11-16 at 15.49.24.png

Screen Shot 2018-11-16 at 15.49.46.png

Screen Shot 2018-11-16 at 15.50.06.png

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 11/7/2018 at 9:00 PM, Stephen Gannon said:

One observation is that I notice that Affinity Publisher does not include a Slug area.

A number of users have asked for this feature already so I wouldn't be surprised if it did come in not so distant future. But of course the more people ask for it the better.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

Yes please - NEEEEEEEED!

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Inc said:

I might have missed this but was the slug area ever added?

No.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 2 months later...
On 11/7/2018 at 10:00 PM, Stephen Gannon said:

This is a much ignored and misunderstood feature within InDesign. It's sole, but sometimes essential purpose is to allow the creator of the artwork to place information on the edge of the artwork document that can be included or excluded from the  PDF sent to the printer.

This can be simply page numbers or essential information

On 6/25/2019 at 1:58 PM, Inc said:

I might have missed this but was the slug area ever added?

Therefore I use, in ID and AfPub, a custom styled text frame with auto/field content (name, date, pg-no) + custom text, placed on a master with its content visible in the bleed area only. To exclude it from export I set its master layer to invisible.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Is there a reason why Slug Area hasn't been included yet? It's not a feature it's an essential for print jobs. If somebody from Serif could answer this question maybe I'd be less frustrated and maybe even understand how the Serif team think about Slug Area and its use in their programs. I've bought several copies of all of the programs and the workbooks and I rarely use any of them as this is an essential for 90% of my work.

11 hours ago, Inc said:

I've bought several copies of all of the programs and the workbooks and I rarely use any of them as this is an essential for 90% of my work.

I'm in the same boat. I have only been able to complete a couple of jobs in Publisher. My packaging work is still being completed in CS6.

• 1 month later...

I couldn't agree more. I use the slug area for instructions on every PDF I send out to go to print. It's an essential part of my file prep. Sure hope they include it soon! I like the programs a lot, but there are a few things I consider essential that are in Adobe programs but not Affinity programs. That's really a shame as I would like to make a total switch over eventually.

It's indeed a pity, in particular because APub already is using a slug area, e.g. for its optional, additional document information on PDF export. APub auto-places this text in an extended area above the upper bleed, aligned at the left (file name) and right edge (date).

I can use the space in between for custom text:

434112722_slug1.jpg.c24e31c2dda47b97ac1561278e042f63.jpg

Unfortunately such custom text doesn't occur in the PDF ...

687459369_slug2.jpg.d0e742e299aa66fd12c64a7f875ae32a.jpg

... although it does exist in the PDF and can get selected and copied...:

1088118223_slug3.jpg.06e390961a899968d5ce1b4257407ec2.jpg

So it appears APub does some extra work to set custom text in this existing slug area to invisible. That feels strange up to nasty.

On 4/1/2020 at 3:39 PM, thomaso said:

So it appears APub does some extra work to set custom text in this existing slug area to invisible.

More likely just setting a cropped area for the page that excludes the slug area.  Since the text falls outside the page area it is then cropped off while rendering the PDF.

fde101, the text I placed there isn't really cropped as not exported but actually exists in the PDF, only as set to invisible. The sample only illustrates that Affinity does create and use a slug area already but 'simply' suppresses the access to this area for customized use.

On 4/3/2020 at 10:46 AM, thomaso said:

isn't really cropped as not exported but actually exists in the PDF, only as set to invisible

Understood - what I am referring to is that it is likely being cropped by the PDF viewer rather than by the Affinity application.

Within the PDF there can be page regions and cropped areas set up and I suspect the application is setting up a cropped area for the page which does not include the slug, and that the text is considered part of the page but is outside those boundaries, thus being rendered outside the crop box and effectively hidden.

I seriously doubt the application is explicitly setting it to hidden - it is much more likely happening simply as a consequence of being outside the page/bleed area.

• 4 weeks later...

Not having a slug area has been one of the things that keeps stopping me using Publisher. I'm giving it another go and creating guides instead as a workround.

Creating templates is the corner stone of my magazine design and I have been finding the transition from Indesign to publisher a much bigger learning curve than I hoped.

• 2 weeks later...

Another yes vote...

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) Mac OS 13 | 4.2 GHz Quad Core Intel-Core i7 | 64GB Ram | Radeon Pro 580 8 GB

Adobe Photography (Lightroom and Photoshop) | Affinity Designer 2 | Affinity Photo 2 | Affinity Publisher 2 | Capture One Pro (for now) | Topaz Labs Photography Suite | Fast Raw Viewer | NeoFinder

• 3 months later...