You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

What is the difference between Photoshop normal HSL adjust and Camera RAW HSL? ;)

AP HSL tool misses target range adjustment which is nicely done in Photoshop version. Photoshop version is missing only target range adjustment based on lightness (ok, saturation targeting too but that is not so important.).

The Camera raw panel has an 8 colour slider which gives us finer control over the colour range than the 6 colour ranges in AP HSL. This does make a difference when making fine adjustments.

With Lightroom you can also select a point on screen and move up/down to change the HSL of a specific target colour, this gives up unlimited resolution of selection in the colour range. And is a very natural way of adjusting the HSL.

Having the colours laid out in a list and being able to move down them one by one is quicker, easier and less fiddly than having to pick the colour from a drop down list and then adjust the HSL for that colour.

I use the HSL adjustment for every one of my projects multiple times.  I just find it cumbersome and too blunt an instrument in use compared to the Camera Raw HSL panel and especially the one in Lightroom.

In fact I would stick the vibrance and contrast controls on this panel too. It would be very convenient.

In fact we could have a sort of  "Master Adjustment" with these,  clarity, and a few other things on it. It would be really nice to have a single adjustment filter which you can whip down and make multiple adjustments in one shot rather than having to add multiple adjustment layers.

Or maybe even an adjustment panel that the user can define. Adding and removing the adjustments they need.

I know we have the develop persona but that is just not as quick and convenient and a single adjustment layer with multiple adjustment types.

4 hours ago, Fixx said:

I am a HSL heavy user and I find Lightroom HSL tool inferior to Photoshop HSL tool. LR 8-band tool is just too coarse compared to Photoshop freely targetable tool, not to mention AP HSL, which just do not cut it.

I agree. When you want those fine adjustments being able to select the range and falloff are so useful for that fine tweaking.

It would be useful to have this type of selection for use with all adjustments. 

For me, when I want to whizz through and quickly make tonal adjustments the LR tool is the best I've found so far.

• 3 months later...

Agree... really need a targeting tool in HSL to fine tune colours. 

Targeting tool in LR is very useful and is one of my ‘go to’ tools in PS.

I’m a new user to Affinity and am very disappointed that this tool in missing. 

Hope it’s rectified in future upgrades.