You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Help using Nik and Layers

Hi,

I enjoy using Nik for my edits. However, I'm a bit confused as how to use it effectively in AF. 

Is there a way to go back and change the adjustments I've made on a Nik layer? Such as when using Smart Objects in Photoshop? I know there is a Live Filter feature in AF, but it doesn't seem to work with Nik. For example, if I add a Nik layer that adjusts Pro Contrast, is it true that I cannot go back and fine tune that layer in Nik? So far I'm just stuck adjusting the opacity of that layer.

Also, how do I go about adding additional Nik layers? For example, I'd like to add another Nik adjustment layer above the Pro Contrast layer I mentioned above. Maybe it's just my limited knowledge with layers... do I duplicate a layer and apply Nik filters to that, or a pixel layer... none of them seem to work correctly.

Thanks-

20 minutes ago, rickcst said:

Is there a way to go back and change the adjustments I've made on a Nik layer? Such as when using Smart Objects in Photoshop? I know there is a Live Filter feature in AF, but it doesn't seem to work with Nik. For example, if I add a Nik layer that adjusts Pro Contrast, is it true that I cannot go back and fine tune that layer in Nik? So far I'm just stuck adjusting the opacity of that layer.

No NIK plugin settings aren't preserved inside of Affinity Photo, as they are too not preserved in PS/PSE. Meaning you can't double double click on a by NIK generated layer and get back to the settings you adjusted last time when using it. - Instead it's something you must control out of the NIK Plugins themself, aka store/reload settings you made inside them.

20 minutes ago, rickcst said:

do I duplicate a layer and apply Nik filters to that, or a pixel layer...

It's always a good idea to work on duplicated/copied layers with the NIK plugins and yes you have to work on a duplicated image layer in case to alter another one.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

AFAIK AP doesn't support Smart Object the same way as PS does. - Also an older PSE version here doesn't work that way when double-clicking on a by the NIK plugin created layer, always have to reuse/start the NIK plugin from the menu or floating selection window for that on a selected layer. In AP you too have first to select the layer and reaccess the NIK plugin then from the Filter->Plugins->... menu in order to perform any changes.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2