You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pattern Design in AD - general question

I have been going thru old posts regarding pattern design and am wondering a few things.....

do you gain anything by creating your pattern as a symbol? and if you do, can you export that symbol and use it to fill? (found a great tut that showed using symbols and you can see 'live' how your pattern is looking and where it's working and not working) 

if you create your pattern, export and use it to fill is that the best way to go?

new to affinity and just trying to figure out how i want to work pattern design in AD. 

any patterns designers out there?

thanks so much!

Well there are some tutorials which show how to deal with that and making Symbol based patterns (vector) with AD, for example:

The other option is to use Styles as fills for then, which are instead bitmap image based fillings and are even easier to build up.

So it depends on if you want to keep it all vector or instead bitmap based for your fills then, if all is vector things do scale up of course in a more neatless manner.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

thanks for the response! had not seen the first one but have seen the others. the first answered some of my questions.

it's very helpful to see your pattern 'live' when working with symbols, meaning i can see what it looks like on a larger scale when i am working on just one small segment. you can see errors right away. 

would like to keep it vectors. 

thanks again!