You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Move the zoom tool

For me that means I would lose the information from the Shapes Tools (rectangle, ellipse etc.)

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

The information goes all the way to where you want to put the zoom display.

Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

2 hours ago, Grandadjim said:

Can I suggest you move the zoom tool from the 'Navigator' tab to the unused bottom border

Just for clarification of terminology: What you're talking about is not the Zoom tool. The Zoom tool is in the toolbar, and looks like a magnifying glass. When active it has a similar slider display but located in the Context menu.

Edit: Also, rather than attaching a PDF, it would be simpler for everyone else if you would attach a .png or .jpg image, which would display inline in the message. That way we wouldn't have to download and open a PDF just to see an image :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 hours ago, Grandadjim said:

I must be thick, but I do not understand what you mean.

You are not thick, you just misunderstand my poorly worded response, the onus is on me. The space you place your mock up is used by my small screen to display information. Purely a limitation of my equipment which you may not ever encounter.

So what do you call the tool I was referring to?

That's not a tool at all, but (I suppose) a control that's part of the Navigation panel/studio.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks everyone for your responses, "would a rose by any other name......." the name of the zoom slider contained in the navigator tab is immaterial - using the slider causes magnification.  If you magnify a page, so only part of the page is visible, you can then 'navigate' by moving the "grey box". I think a better use of the navigator panel would be the ability for the user to be able to add "jump to places" within a document. A bit like word search, the ability to define your own 'jump to places'. which the user could name. Using a + or - icon could add or remove the" jump to" points. These points (and you could have dozens) would then be shown in the navigator panel. Of course if it was really clever when you select the magnifying tool on the tool bar the 'navigator panel' could change its content to reveal the "grey box navigation/magnification facility" that it currently has. Move off the magnifying glass should cause the navigator panel to revert to showing your 'jump to' places.

While this is partly done in the "layers" panel, it would be better if you could create your own "jump to point" within the same or varying layers. If you have a document with a hundred plus pages and a large number of layers the ability to navigate quickly to a specific point, be it picture or an individual word in the document would be useful.

As the same slider exists in Photo it would be useful (when in photo) to use it to define different areas of a picture for example if you had a photo of Snow White and her seven dwarfs and wanted to edit each dwarfs face - creating a magnified "jump to" for each face would save time. I appreciate using the magnifying glass and centering it over the required spot effectively does the same thing but again I consider that to be magnification not 'navigation'.

• Staff

Hi Grandadjim,
You can already do this. Click the small menu icon on the top right of the Navigator panel and select Advanced (notice the new control that will appear below the thumbnail). You can add Viewpoints to the different parts of the document there: zoom in to the area you want to jump to in the document then click the gear icon in the Navigator panel  and select Add (or from the menu itself as soon as you enable Advanced mode).

Am I the only one who didn't know that?

I forget about it continuously.

Glad I am not alone;

Can I float this:  The navigation facility is good - but it is not obvious. Why is it in the "advanced" section?  It is very cumbersome to us, requiring the user to open mini menus etc. This facility could be vastly improved. If the zoom bar was moved to the bottom margin. If you select the magnifying tool a zoom bar opens in the top left hand corner, so why, when that is selected could the Navigator panel not show viewpoint "add or delete" buttons? Why not show icons and name of existing viewpoints like in the Layers Panel. The Navigator panel can be undocked and enlarged. I think something like this would make it more 'user friendly'