You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher Public Beta - 1.7.0.162

• Staff

Purpose: Stability and General Testing
Requirements: None

Hi, we have a preview of Publisher build 162 now available. We hope to put it on auto-update soon but for now it is a manual download.

As this is a beta it is considered to be not suitable for production use. This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity where you may be adversely affected by the application failing, including the total loss of any documents. 

We hope you enjoy the product, and as always, if you've got any problems installing or running up, please don't hesitate to post in this thread.

Any problems actually using this version please make a new topic in this forum and we'll get back to you as soon as we can. Please feel free to leave general suggestions and comments in the Discussion Forum. Many thanks for your continued feedback.

New Features / Changes

- It is now possible to select the desired Page Box for a Placed PDF
- Added facility to apply a Master Page to a Master Page
- Snapping is now enabled by default for Publisher from a clean start

Fix List

Menus / Toolbars / Studio / Dialogs
- (Mac) Fixed issue where installing a font with a dialog open could cause a hang
- Fixed drawing of Layer Panel names containing extended characters
- (Windows) Text Frame description in the Layers Panel no longer expands with text
- Fixed nomenclature inconsistencies in the Pages Panel
- (Mac) Fixed some large UI font issues with Pages UI
- Fix for Style names in Styles Panel not displaying

New Documents / Import / Export
- Fixes for a number of crashes reported when opening pre-157 documents
- Page orientation checkbox could be incorrectly checked 
- (Mac) Fixed overlapping controls on Export to TIFF

Document View
- (Windows) Fixed issue with Render on 125% scaled screens being 'blurry'
- (Mac) Cursor position not shown on vertical ruler for spreads after first

Objects
- Fixed Rasterising an Object so that it no longer clips to the Spread

Text
- Fixed Spelling Checker / Check Spelling as you Type
- Fix for text not aligning correctly with horizontal scaling and tab stop leader
- 'Create Character Style' now creates an empty character style if no selection
- (Windows) Edit Text Style Character Variants lower limit now clamped at 0
- Fixed crash when pasting text into multi column frame with Hide Overflow and Text Ruler enabled
- Find and Replace - Re-instated ability to replace with 'nothing'
- Find and Replace - Fixed UI discrepancies between Mac / Windows

Tables
- (Mac) Column and row headers were missing for tables not on first spread

Font Manager
- (Windows) Font Manager now displays column resize cursor
- (Windows) Other Font Manager inconsistencies

• Staff
9 minutes ago, magicdesign__ said:

I can now open the document again which failed to open in the previous beta (fyi)

Excellent news, thanks for your help resolving this.                                                       

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

although I may have spoken too soon. It does open it, but it has crashed twice. I have opened it for a third time and 'saving' in the hope that a new save will help configure it to the new beta. 

UPDATE

Seems to have stabilised now. 

Edited by magicdesign__
update

• Staff

As I understand it If it includes tables created in #145 (and you pasted into them) those tables may well need recreating. You will need to create a new thread for this, or wake up one of your old ones, but your file will be needed to resolve it properly.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Thanks, again.

Can you explain to me what do you mean by: "- It is now possible to select the desired Page Box for a Placed PDF"?

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

Thanks!

I can open documents from previous versions and it's not pixelated anymore ! :D

1 hour ago, Petar Petrenko said:

Can you explain to me what do you mean by: "- It is now possible to select the desired Page Box for a Placed PDF"?

If you import a PDF, you can choose which part will be displayed: mediabox/cropbox/artbox/bleedbox.

For example, if you need to insert an add (made with bleed and all) in a  frame, you'll choose "cropBox".  Or it's trimBox, I'll have to translate in usual French :)

• Staff
3 hours ago, Petar Petrenko said:

Thanks, again.

After you have placed a PDF you should find the option on the context bar to select the desired page box - for example the ‘Bleed Box’ might include any bleed, the ‘Trim Box’ would not.

Edit: Whoops, sorry, skimmed over the answer above!

• Staff
4 hours ago, powderthomas said:

the newes software .157 and .162 we had downloaded could not be installed. Win 10pro /64 Bit > at the end of the installation > setup error.

Powderthomas,

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :)

Please restart the computer and try installing again 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

• Staff

@AlexBR1974

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :)

If at all possible files made now will open in the final released version, we just aren't promising it during the beta period while we are still implementing and testing new features.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

Dear all, 

162 Install without a glitch, with Windows 8.1: Uninstall, clean-up, install with Administrators rights.

With beta 162, it seems that an additional bug is resolved.

Publisher was not able to create some French and Spanish accents through Alt Gr + one key of the keyboard.
It works now for "tilde", "accent grave" et "accent aigu", as per what is shown on my French keyboard. Working now (samples):  ñ  Ñ  í   é   ó   ò 

I would still like to test Publisher "native" spelling of other languages that English. Loading your own dictionaries is prone to errors and not useful for debugging.
Cursor behaviour tests for languages like Arabic, Hebrew would be also welcome

Regards, Philippe

Not meant as a nag, just a data point (I'm not sure if anyone has even attempted to solve this issue yet or if it is still just waiting on the list behind other, higher priority things): installing over the previous version still fails, requiring a reboot followed by a second installation attempt.

I am also unable to install v1.7.0.162 - although it has removed the previous beta version.

Installation showed progress bar and then  a comprehensive?"set up failed" error. I downloaded a 2nd time after logging in to my account and had the same problem. I have subsequently restarted the PC and same issue again. Previous versions of the beta have been fine.

I am running Windows 10 Pro version 1803 bulid 17134.345 and have ESET Internet Security installed.

2018-11-08_15-56-36.jpg

Downloaded first time - okay
Tried to install first time - a) unsigned exe file b) setup failed
Had to reinstall .157

Downloaded a second time - okay
Tried to install second time - as above

Rebooted PC (It's turned off every night so has only been on during today)
Tried to install third time - setup failed again

Reinstalled .157

I do notice that the website shows 285.31 mb whereas the download I have shows 279 MB (292,629,264 bytes)

MD5 hash: f051cce5d32f15ea4c6342d78159d5d7    affinity-publisher-beta-1.7.0.162.exe

Windows 11 Pro 64bit ¤ AMD Threadripper 3990x ¤ Nvidia RTX 3090 ¤ 256GB DDR4 Ram ¤ ROG Zenith II Extreme Alpha

4 hours ago, pdussart said:

Cursor behaviour tests for languages like Arabic, Hebrew would be also welcome

The Affinity apps don’t currently support right-to-left languages.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

8 hours ago, Mark Browning said:

Set up failed ...... rebooted computer tried to install again set-up failed
I also have had to reinstall .157

If you want to test this version, you can try to install it through the "real" MSI installer with this command C:\WINDOWS\system32\msiexec.exe /I "C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Temp\AffinitySetup\ea9a37cc-d147-11e8-9648-0050b6654c57\Affinity.msi" /L*V "C:\Users\USERNAME\Downloads\affinitylog.log" REINSTALLMODE=vamus

(adapt the paths for you computer)

This will work.