You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher Public Beta - 1.7.0.162

• Staff

Purpose: Stability and General Testing
Requirements: Mac OS 10.9 or above

Hi, we have a preview of Publisher build 162 now available. It is available on auto-update and also provided as a manual download from the link above.

As this is a beta it is considered to be not suitable for production use. This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity where you may be adversely affected by the application failing, including the total loss of any documents. 

We hope you enjoy the product, and as always, if you've got any problems installing or running up, please don't hesitate to post in this thread.

Any problems actually using this version please make a new topic in this forum and we'll get back to you as soon as we can. Please feel free to leave general suggestions and comments in the Discussion Forum. Many thanks for your continued feedback.

New Features / Changes

- It is now possible to select the desired Page Box for a Placed PDF
- Added facility to apply a Master Page to a Master Page
- Snapping is now enabled by default for Publisher from a clean start

Fix List

Menus / Toolbars / Studio / Dialogs
- (Mac) Fixed issue where installing a font with a dialog open could cause a hang
- Fixed drawing of Layer Panel names containing extended characters
- (Windows) Text Frame description in the Layers Panel no longer expands with text
- Fixed nomenclature inconsistencies in the Pages Panel
- (Mac) Fixed some large UI font issues with Pages UI
- Fix for Style names in Styles Panel not displaying

New Documents / Import / Export
- Fixes for a number of crashes reported when opening pre-157 documents
- Page orientation checkbox could be incorrectly checked 
- (Mac) Fixed overlapping controls on Export to TIFF

Document View
- (Windows) Fixed issue with Render on 125% scaled screens being 'blurry'
- (Mac) Cursor position not shown on vertical ruler for spreads after first

Objects
- Fixed Rasterising an Object so that it no longer clips to the Spread

Text
- Fixed Spelling Checker / Check Spelling as you Type
- Fix for text not aligning correctly with horizontal scaling and tab stop leader
- 'Create Character Style' now creates an empty character style if no selection
- (Windows) Edit Text Style Character Variants lower limit now clamped at 0
- Fixed crash when pasting text into multi column frame with Hide Overflow and Text Ruler enabled
- Find and Replace - Re-instated ability to replace with 'nothing'
- Find and Replace - Fixed UI discrepancies between Mac / Windows

Tables
- (Mac) Column and row headers were missing for tables not on first spread

Font Manager
- (Windows) Font Manager now displays column resize cursor
- (Windows) Other Font Manager inconsistencies

ACE ACE ACE

it might seem like a small thing but being able to rasterise objects and not have them clipped to the page (so no bleed) is massive plus --- thanks guys tested and works perfectly --- this could save me loads of time:6_smile:

Next ---- time to test tables

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

Here's an interesting thing.   Just manually downloaded v. 162 to my MAC Sierra.    Very smooth.   I kept v. 145 and 157 temporarily.  And then I ditched v. 157 to the trash.   When I opened v. 162, how did it know the manual settings I made for the tools and the toolbar in v. 157?    I was all prepared to have to do it all over again, just the way I had to redo V. 157 (including some new changes for the tools) from v. 145.    Anyway, I am pleased as can be!!   V. 157 is now "on the wrong side of the grass" as they say around here.         

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

8 minutes ago, jmwellborn said:

how did it know the manual settings I made for the tools and the toolbar in v. 157

That is the normal behavior.  They forced a reset with .157 as per the release notes in that thread, but that is the exception rather than the rule.

1 hour ago, fde101 said:

That is the normal behavior.  They forced a reset with .157 as per the release notes in that thread, but that is the exception rather than the rule.

Except that I downloaded them as two separate applications on my MAC.   I can open each one (145 or 162)  completely separately from the other.   H'm'm'm.

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

Hello @AdamW thank you for this update. Will download that new version as soon as I have free time. It looks better while .157 was already a good one.

Blessings to Y'all

Never be the Same Again !
---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF
Intel Core i5-10500T @2.30GHz with 12GiB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 for 10th Generation
M.2 2280, 512 GB, PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, Class 40 SSD

Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2 + LibreOffice 7.5.3

On 11/7/2018 at 5:58 PM, Dazmondo77 said:

it might seem like a small thing but being able to rasterise objects and not have them clipped to the page (so no bleed) is massive plus

This „small thing“ is reported for Affinity Designer from its very beginning and never got any attention, I'm afraid. But I agree that fixing this would be a massive plus, that would be more than massive plus, that would be Christmas in July!

EDIT: It is fixed! Thanks to all Affinity developers! This would save me so many time! Can't wait for Designer update…

Copiar y pegar desde archivo de excel no respeta las celdas, antes lo habia notado en versiones anteriores.

gracias a todos por todo el buen trabajo que han realizado con estas aplicciones Affinity, estoy muy feliz con ellas.

Hello @AdamW as promised here is my impressions on this release of APub.
My experience in 12 steps :

1- APub .162 loads really faster than the previous builds which is better but i still think you can improve it even more.
2- I've loaded a project created with ADesigner weeks ago (business card project) and APub did the loading very fast even rendered the fonts, layers, blending, adjustment with ease and love
3- the pencil tool works well but I've found it lagging more than in previous version (here i did a test on empty project), please make smooth
4-  The use of the sculpt tool is still a bit of misery while i know it"s of a good help, please share us a best practice video tuto so we can understand it.
5- But i noticed this when i check show bleeds then export the project in any format you may want it comes with a large squared white zone that i couldn't understand, my fix was to disabled show the bleed and un-check export with bleed for it to disappear; maybe i'm doing something wrong but i still need to figure it out.
6- I like the fact that the pages studio is hidden from loading the software it makes it better to the eyes and gives me choice to show or hide it only when I want.

7- APub is still lacking of a dedicated Export persona/Assistant and i have to go to the menu which is a lot of clicks if i compare with ADesigner and APhoto which makes it 1 click closer
8- APub still have the Margins checked by default when creating a new documents and it's set to 25mm, it's annoying because i then have to do another step to either remove it or set another margin, please fix it by disabling the default 25mm.
9- To me, there is no need of Ellipse frame tool in the toolbox, the squared frame tool corners can be rounded from the top menu if set to 50% rounding its become a circle/ellipse so !
10- i really like the new tool that appears when placing an image into a picture frame, it's refined and works like a charm, very helpful; allow fast zooming
11- Picture frame tool is not yet content aware and main subject is not yet detectable when doing that which leaves it manual only, allow us to have it Auto subject fit then if we want to re-position or skip the subject then we can do it manually.
12- Now my best one, the snapping works much much much better, because i don't often use guides, snapping is actually what i rely on for perfect alignments.

Never be the Same Again !
---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF
Intel Core i5-10500T @2.30GHz with 12GiB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 for 10th Generation
M.2 2280, 512 GB, PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, Class 40 SSD

Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2 + LibreOffice 7.5.3

4 hours ago, Uncle Mez said:

5- But i noticed this when i check show bleeds then export the project in any format you may want it comes with a large squared white zone that i couldn't understand, my fix was to disabled show the bleed and un-check export with bleed for it to disappear; maybe i'm doing something wrong but i still need to figure it out.

Hi @Uncle Mez: Good round-up!

Regarding point 5: "show bleed" in the interface is independent of the export, it only affects the UI. If you check "include bleed" in the export, it will be added to your pdf (I have not tried to see if this is supported by all export formats - update: now I have tried png jpg and svg, and it does. Nice!). Under the "more" button, if "include printer marks" is checked, there will be white space around your document to host those marks. If you uncheck it, the pdf will end slick by the bleed box or trim box depending on if bleed was included in export or not.

5 hours ago, Uncle Mez said:

here is my impressions

This should have been in a separate thread, it doesn't really belong here:

On 11/7/2018 at 9:36 AM, AdamW said:

problems installing or running up, please don't hesitate to post in this thread

On 11/7/2018 at 9:36 AM, AdamW said:

actually using this version please make a new topic in this forum and we'll get back to you as soon as we can. Please feel free to leave general suggestions and comments in the Discussion Forum.

A moderator should probably split these few posts out into a separate thread and move them to the discussion forum.

still think you can improve it even more

Not 100% sure but it may be that the beta releases have extra debugging features turned on that can slow down execution of the program - an actual release would normally turn more of those off so this may be a side-effect of the fact that this is still early in the beta cycle?  Same with #3...

Margins checked by default when creating a new documents

I don't have it in front of me to verify at the moment, but this is probably coming from the selected page preset.  Creating a custom preset to use might take care of this.

no need of Ellipse frame tool in the toolbox

You can customize this; there is an option in one of the menus that opens a panel you can use to drag icons to/from the toolbar, such as the essential-but-hidden-by-default cat tool.

Oooh I was wondering when we were going to get a new update - thanks guys!

iMac: iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)  -   3.4 GHz Intel Core i5   -   8 GB 2400 MHz DDR4  -  Radeon Pro 560 4096 MB 

Windows: Nvidia GTX 960m 4k UHD 2gb ram video (Windows 10 Pro) -  Laptop screen (resolution 3840x2160 magnified 300%)

2nd Monitor: Phillips 226E9Q HD 1920 x 1080 (125%)

The auto-update isn't working - and I get the dialog box below when I click check for update.

Affinity Publisher beta 1.7.0.145

MacBook 13" Aluminium Late 2008 - MacBook5,1 - 2.4GHz Core2 Duo, 8GB RAM, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan

Installs okay from the manual link above, but still gives error message if you check for updates.

screenshot_148.png

Still having an issue with the Fonts Toolbar.

When I click the Bold Button, it also selects Italics button which makes the font "Bold Oblique". It should not select this unless I click the Italics button too. When you try and click the Italics button off, it will not. The only way to make the font Bold only is to go to the dropdown menu.

It specifically happens with Helvetica. I couldn't get it to do it with Airal.

Courier has 4 font types... Regular, bold, bold oblique and oblique. NONE of those options are selectable via the Bold and Italics buttons.