You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Zoom with wacom or without scroll wheel

Hi, I´m new here, and right now trying to adapt my workflow from PS to Afiniti Photo, and being a wacom user, I´m missing a way to zoom without the scroll wheel, "but yet using the pen", in PS we can use Ctrl+Alt+MMB, same with 3DsMax, and this allows for zooming without scroll or Ctrl + "+/-".

Is there a way to configure Affinity Photo to work as such? 

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Adriano de Regino said:

Hi, I´m new here, and right now trying to adapt my workflow from PS to Afiniti Photo, and being a wacom user, I´m missing a way to zoom without the scroll wheel, "but yet using the pen", in PS we can use Ctrl+Alt+MMB, same with 3DsMax, and this allows for zooming without scroll or Ctrl + "+/-".

You can press the Ctrl key (Windows) and click drag to zoom in or out. It works for a mouse, should work for your pen too?

Press Ctrl + Alt, draw a marquee, and it will zoom to that area.

EDIT: Forget to mention that unless you have Zoom Tool selected, you have to press the Spacebar, then the Ctrl key (hold both down) then click drag.  That should work with every tool.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Well, my wacom doesn't have a circular scroll wheel, nor a linear one like in intuos 3, its a simple bamboo. The only way to handle zoom with it, is if it where possible to zoom using the LMB, MMB or RMB, by clicking them.

So, if the software haven't a way of zooming with the click of those buttons, my hands are tied with the wacom settings.

Thanks for the suggestion V_kyr

20 minutes ago, toltec said:

You can press the Ctrl key (Windows) and click drag to zoom in or out. It works for a mouse, should work for your pen too?

Press Ctrl + Alt, draw a marquee, and it will zoom to that area.

Thanks Toltec, its an idea! But for this to work one must beforehand select the "z" tool for zooming, the idea was to zoom without changing the current tool, using only modifier keys.

If there is no way for that, this could surely be a feature suggestion.

24 minutes ago, Adriano de Regino said:

Thanks Toltec, its an idea! But for this to work one must beforehand select the "z" tool for zooming,

Oh, yes, sorry, missed out the fact you have to press the Spacebar, then the Ctrl key (hold down both), then click drag. That should work with every tool.

My bad :$

At my age, I get a bit confused sometimes.

confused.jpg.1e828e2755975a0c574bed94b4488a7c.jpg

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

20 minutes ago, Adriano de Regino said:

Well, my wacom doesn't have a circular scroll wheel, nor a linear one like in intuos 3, its a simple bamboo. The only way to handle zoom with it, is if it where possible to zoom using the LMB, MMB or RMB, by clicking them.

So, if the software haven't a way of zooming with the click of those buttons, my hands are tied with the wacom settings.

Thanks for the suggestion V_kyr

I too have a Bamboo with 4 buttons on the left side, where when used in Affinity Photo the Bamboo top button toggles between touch on/off, the third from top performs a right menu popup for zoom options where I can select (Zoom enhance/Zoom lower/Zoom suitable/100%/200% ...) via the pen, the forth bottom button performs hand tool canvas moving around.

I also recall that the button settings etc. can be partly customized via the Bamboo driver software.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

3 hours ago, toltec said:

Oh, yes, sorry, missed out the fact you have to press the Spacebar, then the Ctrl key (hold down both), then click drag. That should work with every tool.

My bad :$

At my age, I get a bit confused sometimes.

lol, I´m pretty old too my dear.

Thanks a lot for the tip! it solved my issue!

Now I can gladly press SPACE+Ctrl+LMB and zoom my projects.

The only draw back is that you need to press "space" before pressing "Ctrl", for it to work.

13 minutes ago, Adriano de Regino said:

just I don't like to take my hand of the keyboard

Then you might want to try these ...

View shortcuts

Action Key
Zoom In Cmd +
Zoom Out Cmd -
Zoom to Fit Cmd 0 (or double-click View Tool icon)
(Zoom to) 100% Cmd 1 (or double-click Zoom Tool icon)
(Zoom to) 200% Cmd 2
(Zoom to) 400% Cmd 3
(Zoom to) 800% Cmd 4
(Zoom to) Actual Size Cmd 8
(Zoom to) Pixel Size Cmd 9
Hot key zoom in Spacebar Cmd -click
Hot key zoom out Spacebar Alt -click

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Thanks! those shortcuts really help, most I was already aware off.

Another suggestion would be to have Cmd+5 as a zoom to 50%, there is no shortcut for it yet.

Even though the keyboard shortcuts are great, zooming with the pen has its benefits "precision, speed, and intuitiveness" and the solution for zooming using the pen, still a bit of a draw back, having to press Space before Ctrl, since Ctrl is a modal shortcut for the hand tool, is super counter intuitive, and I cant get used with it.

Don't want to complain here, I´m just offering a possibly helpful insight about the software UX.

Thanks again v_kyr.