You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

iPad Photos extension

Apologies, you need to have it set up in the shortcuts app first. You can then use this method to add support for any editing app - see screens attached. It’s important to select the Accepts image option in the shortcut setup so the shortcut only shows up when viewing images. Literally takes less than a min to set up the shortcut but I’ve added a link to the shortcut here:

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/84bf6ea23f4e49eebe63385e13322935

270743AF-3131-458F-AC25-D8A77593C0B4.jpeg

9D6B267F-88B4-42C6-AFA6-538F8C2CF3FF.jpeg

D925B504-2FDA-4F9C-A864-441D44E12466.jpeg

1 hour ago, urm3l said:

Does it allow you to save the photo back over the old one like when you edit with affinity on desktop? (At least like it was since right now its also bugged on desktop)

No, because Affinity imports the image. You need to export the result back to Photos as a new image. You can of course then delete the original image. 

3 hours ago, donka said:

No, because Affinity imports the image. You need to export the result back to Photos as a new image. You can of course then delete the original image. 

Does export to Apple Photos work for you?  I can export to Files but not Photos.

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

You can save as described in the photo before but deleting the original is not feasible and having two images is also a subpar solution. I would very much like the same behaviour as on desktop since being able to return to the original from everywhere is super nice and I really hope that will be implemented some day and serif notices

7 hours ago, Cecil said:

Does export to Apple Photos work for you?  I can export to Files but not Photos.

Yes, from the export page, select share at the bottom left and you have options to save to files and save image which saves to photos. 

Hello, 

The shortcut is not working on my iPad Pro 12.9 avec OS 13.1.3. A few month ago it was working fine when Paul Mudditt explained the same process. But now I tried with the Mudditt method and using your link and I have always the same answer. It is in French but it means that this is a wrong format and that Photo is not installed !! (I deleted and reinstalled Affinity Photos twice without result). Do you have an explanation ?
Thanks,

8495AA8F-E615-4F45-A348-2F5BA5567BF6.jpeg

Try editing the shortcut and changing the target application to another photo editor you have installed and see if that works. If so, then try changing back to Affinity Photo and test again. Did you ever have the beta of Affinity Photo installed?

Thank's for the help. It works fine changing the application shortcut to Pixelmator, Polarr or Photoshop Express. It doen't work with Affinity, ACDSee, Lightroom, Retouch. Those last applications are directly working when you are on the picture so the shortcut is not necessary but it was to try ... so for me it does not work !

Well, it doen't matter. What you propose if fine and clever but the real problem is that Affinity Photo is not in the upper line, close to Pixelmator, Polarr, Photoshop ... directly usable on the picture. And the other problem would be to propose the choice to save on the original or to save a copy. It is so basic ! Perhaps too simple for the great guys of the Affinity Developper Team. I spent so much time and money on these very small problems that I delete Affinity from my iPad, definitly.

10 minutes ago, Teddylours said:

Thank's for the help. It works fine changing the application shortcut to Pixelmator, Polarr or Photoshop Express. It doen't work with Affinity, ACDSee, Lightroom, Retouch. Those last applications are directly working when you are on the picture so the shortcut is not necessary but it was to try ... so for me it does not work !

Well, it doen't matter. What you propose if fine and clever but the real problem is that Affinity Photo is not in the upper line, close to Pixelmator, Polarr, Photoshop ... directly usable on the picture. And the other problem would be to propose the choice to save on the original or to save a copy. It is so basic ! Perhaps too simple for the great guys of the Affinity Developper Team. I spent so much time and money on these very small problems that I delete Affinity from my iPad, definitly.

For what I do, AF on the iPad is pretty pointless- I like the photo merging/HDR stuff, but that’s easier on Mac anyway. The bottom line for me is I was promised a “desktop class photo editor”, a program that works the same as I am used to on OSX, but it simply isn’t that. I’m moving away from iCloud now anyway, as I get discounted MS 365 with work, so I’ll keep AF on my Mac for now, but Pixelmator will do what I need (basic edits) on the iPad, and integrates better. I might even try the pro version. I’ve also discovered luminar on the Mac, and the DAM is interesting considering I have all my photos on MS onedrive now

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I can’t believe how long this request has been running.

I’m trying to move to a more iPad-centric setup, and in the main it’s working fine for my hobbyist needs.

The lack of proper integration with Photos is a big stumbling block though.

Now, in Raw Power and Pixelmator, it’s a trivial matter to locate, edit, and save an image within the Photos library. Both allow me to browse my Photos folder and album structure as it is set out. Indeed, Raw Power is even better than Photos itself. So I can edit either a single image, or a batch, and save them in their original locations in the library.

I notice that Affinity does have an Import from Photos menu item. But as it only shows a flat list of albums, in some undetermined order, it’s completely impractical to use. Like another user, I have created a nice chronological folder/album hierarchy, with thousands of albums, but the fashion of the layout makes it easy for me to find stuff.

AP is supposed to be one of the best photo editors out there, but it’s like having the best motor car in the world, and you forgot to put doors on it.

Please could you guys have a look at implementing something here? Clearly it’s possible, as many other apps manage it fine.

Cheers

Andy