You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

iPad Photos extension

There is no "Affinity Photo extension" in "Photos". I bought it for iPad yesterday and I am so disappointed not to see it in Photos. Is it expected to implement this extension as it existe in the Mac desktop version of Affinity ? In the present state I will never use this software. Affinity needs to have the same tools on mobile and desktop application. I plan to buy the Mac desktop version when this specific point, often asked by users, will be improved.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Don’t panic, there are work arounds that might be useful to you. Personally I have no problems using my Mac and smart albums into iCloud photo album to work on my iPad. Some example below.

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

And here is how to make a shortcut, firstly download the Apple Shortcuts app from the App Store.

Updated version is here using the OPEN FILE option which replaced the OPEN IN option in older IOS versions.

Link to download of my Open in Photo V2 shortcut:-

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/be37329f27724ccd9b76d9c53a644571

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB

Thank's a lot Paul for the help but I have no Mac. I am working on iPad and this is an "Affinity Phot in iPad" topic. I know that extension works on Mac. On iPad it seems to be the same but it is not. We need to quit Photos, to open a picture in Affinity, to modify it, to save it and to import it in Photos. Ugly !

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, 

I’ve also just bought the iOS version of the app, and I’m not at all satisfied with the offered solutions here. 

I don’t want to copy a photo to affiniy photo, edit it, and then export it back to my camera roll (apple photos app). This creates a duplicate image in my camera roll, it looses the GPS tag, and I can’t revert to the original anymore (obviously because it’s a different image).

I want a desktop version like in place edit in order to use the app in a sane way.

Is this feature in the pipeline? When is it coming? People are asking for this!

Thanks, Stefan

• 2 months later...
6 hours ago, Danny Deuce said:

*Bump* Any updates on this?

This would be a very welcomed feature and would change this app from barely used to a 5 star essential

Couldn’t agree more, the whole point for me was integration with photos on both Mac and iPad, as it stands I’d rather just use my Mac which makes the iPad version pointless - the export function seems to be broken too on my 11” iPad Pro. If I can’t get photos in and out easily, it doesn’t matter how good the software is. To be honest I’ve been enjoying luminar 3 as an all in one solution more and more, so my iPad Pro very rarely gets used for photo editing as it’s too much hassle. Shame

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/21/2019 at 11:40 PM, SamtheManc said:

Couldn’t agree more, the whole point for me was integration with photos on both Mac and iPad, as it stands I’d rather just use my Mac which makes the iPad version pointless - the export function seems to be broken too on my 11” iPad Pro. If I can’t get photos in and out easily, it doesn’t matter how good the software is. To be honest I’ve been enjoying luminar 3 as an all in one solution more and more, so my iPad Pro very rarely gets used for photo editing as it’s too much hassle. Shame

As I understand it, Luminar 3 is a competitor to Lightroom which is a DAM, Digital Asset Manager.

The features you request seem also to line up with Lightroom.

Affinity Photo is not a DAM and not a competitor to Lightroom. 

Affinity Photo is a competitor to Photoshop which is not a DAM either which is an entirely different type of tool to Lightroom.

It is rumoured that Serif might do a DAM package in the future.

46 minutes ago, Paul Mudditt said:

As I understand it, Luminar 3 is a competitor to Lightroom which is a DAM, Digital Asset Manager.

The features you request seem also to line up with Lightroom.

Affinity Photo is not a DAM and not a competitor to Lightroom. 

Affinity Photo is a competitor to Photoshop which is not a DAM either which is an entirely different type of tool to Lightroom.

It is rumoured that Serif might do a DAM package in the future.

That’s correct in many ways, but luminar was an editor first and added DAM functionality with version 3. Whilst Affinity has more power for advanced editing and very useful to me for stacking in particular, Luminar is actually better in my opinion for most editing as it’s a lot quicker. The features I requested were simply what AP already has in the Mac version, extension features which mean it integrates seamlessly with Apple photos, meaning there would be no reason for me to have a separate DAM, as photos serves this purpose. Whilst Apple photos doesn’t have the power of Lightroom, it allows me to organise and view my photos across all my apple devices, and by adding extensions like AP (On OSX), you add the extra power of a proper editor. This should mean I can scan through a days photos on my Mac at home or my iPad Pro on the road using apple photos to organise and carry out minor edits, then use AP to edit any photos that are worth the extra effort. That workflow should be the same on a Mac or “Desktop class” affinity photo for iPad. It’s not. That’s why people requested it was added. Workarounds and alternate ways to import/export photos are not the same workflow as simply clicking the extension symbol and picking the required extension (AP has several on OSX, from haze removal to opening the full affinity app). 

I too would like to see this, if (and only if), Apple Photos hands off a RAW file to Affinity for processing.

Assuming we're using Apple Photos I *think* (could be wrong), on iOS you have to open the photos from the non-host app in order to get a RAW file. If you launch the app from a Photos extension, I think it hands off a JPEG.

Maybe someone knows for sure, and can clear this up.

2 hours ago, Heavy Doody said:

I too would like to see this, if (and only if), Apple Photos hands off a RAW file to Affinity for processing.

Assuming we're using Apple Photos I *think* (could be wrong), on iOS you have to open the photos from the non-host app in order to get a RAW file. If you launch the app from a Photos extension, I think it hands off a JPEG.

Maybe someone knows for sure, and can clear this up.

That is correct but as I understand this there is not much Serif can do about this as it’s an IOS Photos issue which simply does not present the RAW files to the share extension, instead it offers an optimised jpeg version to other apps and the share sheet. Fingers crossed IOS13 fixes this.

• 3 months later...
On 1/3/2019 at 12:13 PM, MEB said:

Hi Teddylours,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
To save to Apple Photos, tap the document icon on the top left of the interface, select Export, tap the Share button (on the bottom left of the screen) then Save Image (bottom row).

Thanks for that I searched it very long time...9_9

• 2 months later...

Is there any news here? Overwriting the Photo would be really nice to be able to keep the original and the edited version in one photo like it is on the mac. It was a huge letdown after buying the app that this is not possible. Is the problem the missing raw export from photos to third party apps on iPadOS?

No, there is no solution to this very simple problem because they don't want to solve it (18 months to ask this without any response). So, leave Affinity and buy Pixelmator and Pixelmator Pro. It do the job and answer to the problem. After a few days you will see that you don't need Affinity at all. Affinity is certainly better but not for iPad users.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello ErrkaPetti,

I don't understand "A lot of BS".

But you don't use Affinity on iPad with an iCloud Photos total of 40000 pictures. 

Right we can try again : I want to review and perhaps modify the 20 pictures of my Paris travel on the 21 of july 2016. I am on the album in Photos. First picture I want to modify something. But Affinity is not in the modify menu (Pixelmator Pro is in). So I close Photos and open Affinity. I choose find in Photos. There I cannot find any photo because the album Paris july 2017 is somewhere but there are a total of 4872 albums and I cannot spend 2 hours to find. With Pixelmator everything is in the same order than in Photos and I can easily find the folder 2017 after 2016 and before 2018. Inside July is after June and so on. But if, by chance, I find July 2017 in Affinity and use the wonderfull Affinity program there is always a problem. Because Affinity don't save the picture on the original. It save a new picture somewhere and then must move it in the Album and delete the original which is definiteluy lost. With pixelmator no problem you modify the original and you can reverse. This is for only one picture. But my work is to change many pictures. So it is absolutely impossible to use the marvelous iPad affinity program in my case.

But I agree that if you want to play with a picture with Affinity on the iPad it is the best program. This is not my purpose.

If you are using iPadOS then you have this simple solution:

Find your image(s) in Apple Photos. 
Tap share sheet. Scroll to the bottom of the list of available actions and you will find ‘Open in Affinity Photo’. This will launch AP and import your selected image, ready for editing. 
@Teddylours This should provide exactly what you are looking for - use Photos to browse your images and Affinity to edit. 

1 hour ago, donka said:

If you are using iPadOS then you have this simple solution:

Find your image(s) in Apple Photos. 
Tap share sheet. Scroll to the bottom of the list of available actions and you will find ‘Open in Affinity Photo’. This will launch AP and import your selected image, ready for editing. 
@Teddylours This should provide exactly what you are looking for - use Photos to browse your images and Affinity to edit. 

Just tried this and the option doesn’t exist, 11” iPad Pro, latest version iPadOS 13. Tried editing the options but affinity doesn’t show up