You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

If this is going on a white or solid coloured background, you can just colour the stroke to the colour of the background.

1518502969_ScreenShot.png.32db927c13488929643bda12d4c31395.png

If you want this to be a able to go onto gradient or textured backgrounds you can convert the text to curves create two strokes and boolean subtract each stroke from each letter using
Layer > Geometry > Subtract

Forgot to add you need to expand the strokes of the dividing line using Layer > Expand Stroke

1778000267_ScreenShot1.png.a6deac8c976e84542a8f3e02eab0ed01.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

I know of one way, I don't know if there are better ways...
1. Create the text;
2. Layer -> Convert to curves;
3. Layer -> Ungroup;
4. Layer -> Expand stroke;
5. Create the line;
6. Give the line a small stroke width;
7. Layer -> Expand stroke;
8. Duplicate the expanded-stroke line;
9. Change the fill colour of the expanded stroke line (makes later steps easier);
Repeat steps 8 & 9 if you need to cut through more than two letters (e.g total of three lines for three letters).
10. De-select everything;
11. Select a letter to cut;
12. Shift+Select a line (any will do);
13. Layer -> Geometry -> Divide;
14. Locate and delete all the bits of the now divided line (easier to do when they're coloured differently).
After dividing the letter you might get the situation where a hole in the letter has become filled. In these cases, select both the letter and 'hole' and use the Layer -> Geometry -> Subtract function to remove the hole.
Repeat steps 10-14 for each extra letter to be cut.

There could be quicker methods but it's not much work to do for a one-off.

split.PNG

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

12 minutes ago, GarryP said:

The Affinity Designer roadmap includes a Knife Tool - in the Illustration & Design section - so that might be something that's coming soon. (I didn't read the 73 pages of replies to find out any more info'.)
@firstdefence Thanks for posting that video; always good to get another method/feature to try out.

Thanks for your research, mate! Glad to read this information but this info from 2014 as i can see and still nothing about this Knife Tool :) Somebody asked the same question about Knife Tool a week ago.

You're welcome.
Some of the geometry tools already basically do what I would expect from a Knife Tool - Subtract and Divide can both 'cut' through shapes - so fingers crossed for something in 1.7. (In the meantime, I like the method that firstdefence posted.)