snowite

Rastering of images

Designer 165.135 is really doing a bad job of rasterizing images.  As soon as I import ANY image into AD and do 1 single pixel of editing it makes the whole picture I am trying to edit horrible.

I have submitted a reference copy for you.

In the image I have one large background picture not edited. one image of bracelet not edited and one that I was erasing the background and you can see how bad the rastering is .

Makes the image unusable. any ideas as to why this is happening?

******UPDATE: I have included the video file below so you can see step by step until export of new image what is happening.*******

greytest.png

Edited by snowite
New info

Hi snowite :)

I've tried replicating this and I'm not currently seeing the same issues, apologies. Could you please provide a copy of the bracelet image for me to test with?

This issue is only happening in Designer. I do not have the same issue with AP.   I did from opening and importing image to exporting for you so you can see what the images looks like from beginning to end.   I have noticed this difference ever since downloading the upgrade. I used to have only  a slight pixel issue which now has turned into a bigger issue which means I cannot use designer for marketing purposes because of image quality.

The original image you dragged to create the document has 240 dpi. The other you have dragger after has 480 dpi. As soon as you painted one of them (the bracelet) the image was automatically rasterised using the DPI set in the document (which is 240 because you have dragged an image with 240 dpi) thus reducing the original quality of that layer to match document's dpi. When you exported the document both bracelet images were rasterised to PNG using the document 240 dpi thus both look the same after the export.

Image layers are a "special" layer type that retains all the original image data - you can think of them as embedded images -. They are created when you use the Place Image Tool (in Affinity Designer and Publisher only), the File ▸ Place command or when you simply drag them from the Finder (Mac) or File Explorer (Windows) to the canvas of an opened document. They can be transformed globally (rotated, skewed etc) without losing quality but they cannot be edited/manipulated at a pixel level. For that they must be rasterised first. To do it right-click on them in the Layers panel and select Rasterise. They are then converted to a pixel layer type (some tools may also rasterise the layer automatically for you) which you can then manipulate at a pixel level. Image layers are rasterised using the DPI value set in the Document Setup dialog.

OM Gosh! Thank you so much for the information. Figures it was something I was doing wrong :(

I did a second test and imported all the images and changed all the exports to 480 dpi then created another image test after editing.  It does appear to have a better quality than before. It still does pixel a bit when enlarged a lot. I guess I will have to get better quality images and work on adjusting my import and exporting of images and data.

Thanks again.

TESTGREY.png