You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

7 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

Kids these days.

I'm taking that, thanks lol!

Search engines are so The Noughties, ;) You oldies and your googling lol!

We kids use a new thing called conversation, the premise is you interact with each other... in actual person i.e. phone to phone or WhatsApp to WhatsApp but like stood in front of each other like that, it's fried (means wicked, which means "good" is oldie speak), my best mates, brothers, sisters, BFF told me it was invented in 2017 apparently... for serious, and it's way cooler than google, and you get to dang (dangle which mean hang, "be with" in oldie speak) with your kin (super close friends in oldie speak) for sure. 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

On November 8, 2018 at 5:12 PM, R C-R said:

Among the several definitions of flute:
• in architecture or furniture: one of a usually vertical set of parallel channels, grooves, or furrows; as on the shaft of a column or a chair leg.
• any groove, furrow, or pleat; as in a ruffle of cloth or on a piecrust.
• one of the helical grooves of a twist drill.

Corrugated means having parallel rows of folds that look like a series of waves when seen from the edge; as in corrugated iron sheeting or in the interior of corrugated cardboard. That doesn't quite fit here (no regular wave-like shape).

So basically, in this context a flute is kind of groove. (BTW, they have this new thing called the "internet" which can be used to look such things up. Sometimes, there are even pictures or illustrations! ;))

O.o huh??

3 hours ago, JimmyJack said:

O.o huh??

What I meant is the cross-sectional shape of the insert is not very wave-like. The edge on view just looks like one rectangular bump in an otherwise flat line.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 hours ago, R C-R said:

What I meant is the cross-sectional shape of the insert is not very wave-like. The edge on view just looks like one rectangular bump in an otherwise flat line.

Ohhhhhh. I get it. You're thinking that the insert is called "the Flute". (...and after all that Googling :D)
No, the insert is just an insert. This is cardboard fluting:
fluting.png.151ae7761850817c3059418f557564a1.png

1 hour ago, >|< said:

And that has nothing to do with the use of the word flute in the diagram. The word and the arrows in the graphic indicate the flute direction of the corrugated board from which the box is to be cut.

What he said!
And if it wasn't corrugated it would probably say "GRAIN" instead.

23 minutes ago, JimmyJack said:

Ohhhhhh. I get it. You're thinking that the insert is called "the Flute". 

Nope. In the document it is a folding instruction, but replacing it with "corrugate" would imply something different, that being to create a wave-like ripple fold, also known as a flute.

Whether or not the box material itself is corrugated cardboard or something else is not clear. I have several similar product boxes here like those Anker products come in that are not made of corrugated cardboard. Instead they are made of heavy card stock.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

On November 10, 2018 at 7:03 PM, R C-R said:

Nope. In the document it is a folding instruction,...

No it's not.

On November 10, 2018 at 7:03 PM, R C-R said:

Whether or not the box material itself is corrugated cardboard or something else is not clear. I have several similar product boxes here like those Anker products come in that are not made of corrugated cardboard. Instead they are made of heavy card stock.

Yes it is clear, the word Flute designates it as a corrugated material. Like I said, if it were a heavy card stock then the grain direction would be taken into consideration instead.

5.0_-_Structurual_Orientation_dialog_box

• 1 year later...
  • Staff

We have made fixes/improvements to this area (Missing elements when importing EPS) of the program in the latest Windows customer beta of Affinity Photo and/or Affinity Designer. If you would like to try these changes the beta software is available in the forum posts listed below. 

The 1.8.0.526 beta builds are in links at the top of these beta forum posts.

Once these programs have been through a full beta process the change will be released in a future free 1.8.0 update/patch to all customers.