You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is it possible to upload the file?

Do any of the elements contained display on the Canvas?

If you can see the Layers but they are not on the canvas, try double clicking on a layer, that should fit that layers content into the workspace.

Another option is to zoom out from the canvas and you may find the elements are there but are way off from the canvas.

Yet another option is to select an element from the layers panel and look at the X: and Y: reference.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Many thanks everyone!  I've tried the suggestions, but didn't work.  Attached is the file I have problem opening.  It's basically the layout of a carton box, when i open it in Affinity Designer, the main box layer is not showing at all... I'd like to open it in AD if possible because I need to do some graphic on it.  Any suggestions?  Thanks!

Box 1.eps

39 minutes ago, Ivynz said:

when i open it in Affinity Designer, the main box layer is not showing at all..

I see all the line segments and text as outlines. It is a box/carton with dimensions and fold lines.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 hour ago, Old Bruce said:

I see all the line segments and text as outlines. It is a box/carton with dimensions and fold lines.

I see pretty much the same thing:
box.jpg.f7b5fac2124ee1cba8a424395ac851b4.jpg

(Ignore the rectangular outline around the outside of the screenshot -- it is just an artifact of how I captured it at reduced size.)

Saved as an Affinity Designer native format Box 1.afdesign file there are a few issues that may need to be corrected, mostly lots of unconnected lines that probably all should be joined to form one continuous shape to define the edges of the box, & maybe a few interior lines that should be cut lines.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 minutes ago, Ivynz said:

how to you open the file?  Just use Open With Affinity Designer? 

I did a right click on the file in the Mac finder and chose Open With... Affinity Designer.

Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

2 hours ago, Ivynz said:

I use Windows to open in the same way, but didn't work, can see the box outline layer at all :(

What happens if you download & try to open the .afdesign file I attached to my previous post?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I don't think this is a very workable design, it has single cut lines where you should have two, you cannot make a single workable outline edge with this die as it is, you will get anomalies as you join certain lines. 

What is this box supposed to look like?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• Staff

Hi Ivynz,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
This is due to a bug in the EPS importer on Windows. I've added your file to our current report to be tested against new revised/code. Meanwhile please download/use the attached version below already saved as an .afdesign file.

Box 1.afdesign

1 hour ago, MEB said:

Meanwhile please download/use the attached version below already saved as an .afdesign file.

Just curious, but the Box 1.afdesign file @MEB uploaded & the one I uploaded look identical, but MEB's is a bit over 1 KB smaller than mine, & I wonder why.that is.

Affinity Photo 

I was bored so...

Did a bit of tidying up in Affinity Designer and tried to get a reasonable outer edge then used a few apps to get an export of the box as it would look folded.

1486139198_Box1Render.png.ed58a45adf391d4acb534c15e5f80cab.png

Box 1 Organised a bit.afdesign

9 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Did a bit of tidying up in Affinity Designer and tried to get a reasonable outer edge then used a few apps to get an export of the box as it would look folded.

I was playing around doing the same thing for the outer edge & for whatever reason ended up with very nearly the same sized & shaped relief for the side flaps that tuck into the folded over, tabbed parts. Just guessing, but from the size of the reliefs for the top's flaps, they might need to be wider, depending on the thickness of the cardboard?

What I am not at all sure about is how the the 'flute' part should be cut & folded. I think you are partially right about the layer you named "Think this should be a dashed line?" but that whole middle section with the "Flute Block Cut Lines" & "Flute Block Dashed Lines" groups & the asymmetric, uncentered width implies at least part of it is meant to be folded into a raised interior divider of some sort, requiring some slit cuts & maybe the 4 small rectangular shapes to be cut out. Just guessing, but it looks like it is intended to hold whatever the box is meant to contain in place.

Affinity Photo 

Had some spare time as it was raining so opened the box up for you @R C-R 

1694587864_BoxOpen.png.4813212eec6c7646b2803dcd0ae11967.png

14 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Had some spare time as it was raining so opened the box up for you @R C-R 

There is something that doesn't look quite right about that, unless there is at least one hidden cut so the flute can be folded to create the 3 raised sections -- otherwise doing that would tear the edge where the flute joins the rest of the front of the box ... right?

Affinity Photo 

If you look at the design, there is a cut below the questioned dashed line, that cut would allow the paper to concertina up, I didn't get that part of the design until I "virtually" opened the box, then the penny dropped.

Actually it still doesn't make any sense, typing the reply above triggered another look and honestly I'm not even sure how the modelling software worked that shape out because by rights it should have shown an error.

The Flute part should surely be an entity in its own right that is glued on after folding or the lower cut and dash should be a cut to allow the fold to take place.
 82029345_ScreenShot2.thumb.png.f71a94afa18f90f1a66dd099292aed6f.png

4 hours ago, firstdefence said:

Actually it still doesn't make any sense, typing the reply above triggered another look and honestly I'm not even sure how the modelling software worked that shape out because by rights it should have shown an error.

The Flute part should surely be an entity in its own right that is glued on after folding or the lower cut and dash should be a cut to allow the fold to take place.
 82029345_ScreenShot2.thumb.png.f71a94afa18f90f1a66dd099292aed6f.png

Yes, an entity in it's own right (the black dotted line should be solid all the way as in the original)...... but not glued.
That piece is cut off, folded and used as a separate interior part of the packaging to accommodate the product pieces (or shape)... and, as a result, add a little bit of structure across the width to boot.

So, I'm guessing, the object(s) to be shipped consists of one main long piece and two smaller sections separated by the central bump outs.
(Or... one big piece that has some kind of central bump outs that the insert echoes.... (but I'm going with the first one ;)))

Am I right in thinking Flute is a kind of corrugated card?

On November 8, 2018 at 4:02 PM, firstdefence said:

To me flute just means your everyday standard ol' laminated cardboard (in it's various weights/configurations). As opposed to, say, the cardboard  of a cake box.... no interior structure.
But yeah, technically the "Flute" is the interior corrugated part. If you look at cardboard's edge/cross section, it's the wavy stuff (if not cut, obviously, along the length of a furrow).

27 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Among the several definitions of flute:
• in architecture or furniture: one of a usually vertical set of parallel channels, grooves, or furrows; as on the shaft of a column or a chair leg.
• any groove, furrow, or pleat; as in a ruffle of cloth or on a piecrust.
• one of the helical grooves of a twist drill.

Corrugated means having parallel rows of folds that look like a series of waves when seen from the edge; as in corrugated iron sheeting or in the interior of corrugated cardboard. That doesn't quite fit here (no regular wave-like shape).

So basically, in this context a flute is kind of groove. (BTW, they have this new thing called the "internet" which can be used to look such things up. Sometimes, there are even pictures or illustrations! ;))

Affinity Photo 

2 hours ago, R C-R said:

(BTW, they have this new thing called the "internet" which can be used to look such things up. Sometimes, there are even pictures or illustrations! ;))

Kids these days.