You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to make node ends flat instead of rounded (and smooth out)

I'm learning how to use the pen tool to create an outline on scanned hand-drawn artwork. I created a couple of extra nodes to show you how the end is rounded off instead of flat. I'm trying to outline the letter "G."

So notice that the bottom part of the image showing the nodes circled in red is the rounded piece. So the upper circled part is where I'm trying to overlap another section, but because it's rounded, it won't fit properly.

Plus, even when I do a straight line, as in the part above it, the corners are rounded, but I drew straight lines. In this case, I like it, but I think there must be a setting.

Also, I'm struggling to have the rounding look smooth in general. It's so hard to eyeball it and just pull on the curve here and there. I took a look at Designer, but don't see any way in there either.

Thanks, as always, for your help. Susan

rounded.JPG.9b77cd7770b0c62382a42d0367ebc43c.JPG

Check the Stroke panel/studio, where there are controls for the shapes of the ends and of the joins.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

8 minutes ago, HealingDoodle said:

when I do a straight line, as in the part above it, the corners are rounded, but I drew straight lines.

Look at the Strokes pane 

slice1.jpg.f9189ea8363a4bad34ab47333b2e1d03.jpg

The Cap changes the ends, the Join is the corners.

I am not sure about the other more general problem you have, try a thinner stroke to help with overall smoothness of the look while drawing and tweaking, works for me.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

26 minutes ago, HealingDoodle said:

I'm struggling to have the rounding look smooth in general

Instead of trying to draw a rounded curve directly, use the Ellipse Tool to create an ellipse, switch to the Node Tool so that you can convert it to curves and break it at strategic points, after which you would simply delete the unwanted parts.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Oh good grief. I'm such a newbie. Didn't even think to check that that panel! Thank you. 

As for the ellipse tool, yes, I started with those tools and broke the nodes. But I'm trying to match my drawn shape, in this case a letter G. 

Would Affinity designer have a better way to keep the roundness of the letter smooth? 

Thanks again. Really appreciate the help. 

Susan

9 minutes ago, HealingDoodle said:

Would Affinity designer have a better way to keep the roundness of the letter smooth? 

No.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 5 years later...

Hi. I am new to Designer. Got tired of all the tweeking on the hand drawn menus I do getting fuzzy in photo. Trying vector brushes.

I am having all sorts of problems and need some help from my friends! I have the end caps set to rounded but they come square.

I have very little control over the letters after I draw them. Help! thanks;)

Upon a little more experiment the brush stroke starts square and ends rounded. How can I get it to start rounded too?

and how can I clean up the messy bits that the nodes don't touch?

Screen Shot 2024-01-05 at 12.17.58 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-01-05 at 12.22.23 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-01-05 at 12.22.39 PM.png

And ... I am finding that it is way easier to use a smooth solid brush for drawing and editing, as below. But I would like to add a SLIGHT roughness

to the edge so it's not so perfect. I have tried to make brushes for that but can't do it. Is it possible?

Screen Shot 2024-01-05 at 12.34.39 PM.png

oops, wrong picture. this was the last one I wanted to add to my above comment:

1 minute ago, Bynah said:

And ... I am finding that it is way easier to use a smooth solid brush for drawing and editing, as below. But I would like to add a SLIGHT roughness

to the edge so it's not so perfect. I have tried to make brushes for that but can't do it. Is it possible?

Screen Shot 2024-01-05 at 12.50.59 PM.png

in the picture below the left is a pixel drawing and the right is vector with smooth brush. I want to achieve the look of the left

but smoother and neater and with no deterioration as it is worked going forward.

Screen Shot 2024-01-05 at 12.56.07 PM.png

A. I turned the square tip around with a handle but every time I do that it leaves an "ice cream cone" at the end, that I don't like.

B. I can't get rid of those "tails, points, appendages." No matter what I do it seems like a waste of time.

C. same as B.

D. Those square ends that must have started in the beginning of the stroke.

Boy, I've given you all a LOT of homework! Can't wait to hear back from you.

examples.jpg