You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is the an expected result from refine selection?

I'm wondering if this is the expected result from Refine selection.  I've included a video, but I'm wondering if this isn't a bug?

Process:

Selection Tool --> Refine --> Paint with Matte brush (Matte edges selected) --> Output --> New Layer with Mask --> Hide the mask.  

The new layer seems to have been destroyed (old layer is not touched, as expected)  I would think that after going through the process, I would be able to touch up the mask, but the new layer is so ruined, that I can't use any of the area that I would unmask.  I am able to move the mask to the old layer and touch it up there, be the new layer isn't good.

Video: https://drive.google.com/file/d/14dkQlwMszAn0vPi7hnB7MbQF_WzP3IpR/view

Thanks!

image.thumb.png.0d3a520b62dedf1522196f7cc42b5fa5.png

Have you tried using a smaller brush, to catch the fly-away hair

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

I experience the same thing, which is very annoying!

Only really used Refine in the most recent version so can't say when this bug appeared.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

• Staff

Hi koskow,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Yes, this is a known behaviour (logged already). One thing you can try is set the output to Mask then duplicate the original layer manually and apply the mask to the duplicate (to get the same result as New layer with mask, if you want to keep the original untouched). 

• 1 year later...

OK - thanks MEB for clearing this up.

I find the name of the option "New layer with mask" doesn't make clear what is intended to happen.

My interpretation is "Duplicate layer and Mask" rather than "Generate new layer with colour decontamination and Mask".

And (as is too often the case) the help file is simply no help! >> https://affinity.help/photo/English.lproj/index.html

No mention whatsoever about the process of colour decontamination, or why one option should be used over another.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro