koskow

Is the an expected result from refine selection?

I'm wondering if this is the expected result from Refine selection.  I've included a video, but I'm wondering if this isn't a bug?

Process:

Selection Tool --> Refine --> Paint with Matte brush (Matte edges selected) --> Output --> New Layer with Mask --> Hide the mask.  

The new layer seems to have been destroyed (old layer is not touched, as expected)  I would think that after going through the process, I would be able to touch up the mask, but the new layer is so ruined, that I can't use any of the area that I would unmask.  I am able to move the mask to the old layer and touch it up there, be the new layer isn't good.

Video: https://drive.google.com/file/d/14dkQlwMszAn0vPi7hnB7MbQF_WzP3IpR/view

Thanks!

image.thumb.png.0d3a520b62dedf1522196f7cc42b5fa5.png

Have you tried using a smaller brush, to catch the fly-away hair

iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.6 - Affinity Designer/Photo, Publisher Beta 1.7.0.140, Illustrator CC, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9 B|  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials Instagram & Flickr - Affinity Live 19th June 2019

no matter the brush size, it seems like a bug.  There shouldn't be any distortion to the new layer. I'll do it the long way until there is a fix.  Thanks!

I experience the same thing, which is very annoying!

Only really used Refine in the most recent version so can't say when this bug appeared.

Win7 Ultimate x64   |   i5-3570K @ 3.4GHz   |   16 GB RAM   |   120 GB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 660 Ti   |   Huion 1060 Plus

How I make GIFs >>> ScreenToGIF (Windows only, Open Source, Portable, ~600kB)

Hi koskow,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Yes, this is a known behaviour/bug (logged already). One thing you can try is set the output to Mask then duplicate the original layer manually and apply the mask to the duplicate (to get the same result as New layer with mask, if you want to keep the original untouched).